BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Offshore Fishing

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Tight Lines -> Fishing in General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Link to this postPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: Note Offshore Fishing

I am renting a 42' Trawler late feb09

Cant wait to get offshore a few times to wet the lines. We are out of Tortola and I will be bringing about 5 rods with some offshore gear. Looking to hook into Wahoo, Tuna, Mahi, all to eat, will not be targeting Marlin much. I have heard of the South Drop, North Drop, and SeaMounts but do not know where they are or how far offshore, Would anyone mind giving me some help on this. I'm not looking for keys to the kingdom but just a little advice on where the structure drop offs are. Thanks

SaltyDog
DawnB
Link to this postPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:58 am    

I am also interested in this (well, not me but Jim is...)

Jim has rented gear and gotten our license request in to Island Surf & Sail (for our upcoming charter on January 9th). (http://www.islandsurf-sail.com/

I have read a lot of things over the years on these boards about fishing in the BVI, know about the cigatera(sp) poisoning, etc., but still not sure about a few things.

How do you know what is safe to eat? We have a book called Reef fish of the Caribbean that we are bringing, so identifying fish should not be a problem.

Can you bring your catch to some of the restaurants and ask them to cook it for you? Or is it easier to cook it yourself (assuming I know how to prepare the thing... Laughing )

What are we likely to catch at this time of year?

What are some of your favourite spots?

Do you leave your line in the water whenever you are sailing? Or is it better to do so only along the outside of the islands (at the drops)?

Thanks for your help!
walker
Link to this postPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:48 am    

Ciguatera is found in the predatory fish that feed off of reef fish. Fish that are safe from ciguatera include wahoo, dolphin, tuna, bonito, kingfish, and yellowtail. You might catch any of these. Do your trolling anytime that you are enroute. The best fish are out in the open deep water.

I know that any of the restaurants on Anegada will cook your fish for you. I don't know about any other islands, though.
saildoggie
Link to this postPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:03 am    

Yep!
Do trolll when underway, you may hit a bunch of Bonito, we always release those but some do like eating them.

On charter I prefer to ice the fish whole and have it cleaned and prepared by the experts ashore, we always let them keep and serve whatever we do not consume.

Even did it in the USVI's we caught a nice Blackfin Tuna on our sail from Vieques SVI's to STT, we nailed it right at the droppoff near STT. we radioed in to Epernay and they told us to bring it on in!

Many of the other guests around us were served fresh and seared Tuna, our fish, it was cool!!

'De Blackfin:

Summertime catch, hooked between JVD and tortola, served at CIBC:

We hooked something BIG a day before Foxy's Cat fight right on the Kingfish Banks, I suspect it was a Dorado (Dolphin) it made a wild jump and threw the hook as I was about to set the hook.

Te edible fish are apparently more prevelant in the winter months from what I hear.
DawnB
Link to this postPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:00 pm    

Awesome!

Thanks for the info.

I can't wait to see what Jim can catch!
Link to this postPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject: Note Fishing in the BVI

Fishing in the BVI is amazing and there are tons of fish, but they don't bit all the time. You should look at the moon and the tides and fish sunrise/sunset and moonrise. Try not to fish slack tides.

Black/Red definitely the colours for wahoo and if you can get a decent cigar lead to get down a few feet you will catch a lot more wahoo. Mahi, just look for the frigates, anything floating and you will nail them with bright lures in front of ballyhoo.

Yellowfin, Blackfin and all the smaller tuna will hit jet rattle quid lures, Liz at Richardson's Rigging has them. Make sure you bleed them straight away, cut their tails off or just under the chin, the taste will be 100% better.

tight lines,

Giles
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Tight Lines -> Fishing in General All times are CST (GMT - 6 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use