BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
SunSail 393
Goto page 1, 2  Next, All  
Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Charter Boats
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScubaDrew
Link to this postPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Note SunSail 393

Hi,

I'm looking for photos of a Sunsail Oceanis 393. There are surprisingly few that I can find. They are all very small photos.

Thanks!

Drew
ScubaDrew
Link to this postPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:47 am    

Of course, right after posting, I found some pictures on http://www.yachtworld.com - not sunsail boats, but same model...

Drew
kentth
Link to this postPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:23 am    

We chartered one a year and a half ago. I will do some digging and see if anybody took any interior shots of it.

Her is one off of sailonline.com

http://www.sailonline.com/images/boat_pics/XpensiceCare.jpg

kent
ScubaDrew
Link to this postPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:54 am    

That is really bizarre. I'll be on "xpensive care" in 7 days.

Thanks,

Drew
Link to this postPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:35 pm    

Drew,
How was the boat
We sailed on Xpensive Care last January. We met the owner, his wife is an intensive care nurse...At the time he didn't have much good to say about Sunsail.Said his next investment would be with another company. We didn't have any problems with the boat. We found that Sunsail is much different since Moorings took over.
Darin
ScubaDrew
Link to this postPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:06 pm    

Hey Darin,

Xpensive Care was fabulous! The extent of our troubles were:

- deck light stopped working on the last night about 20 minutes before we went to bed
- no weather radio?!

I've had no other charter experience to compare it to, but Sunsail treated me better than a lot of companies in the states. I had a great experience, and would recommend the BVI location to anyone.

Back to the weather radio - is it not common to have some type of radio capable of picking up a marine weather report? Granted, you hardly need one there, it seems like a good idea.

MrBombastic
Link to this postPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:08 pm    

ScubaDrew wrote:

Back to the weather radio - is it not common to have some type of radio capable of picking up a marine weather report? Granted, you hardly need one there, it seems like a good idea.

It's channel 6. Or maybe channel 3. I forgot. yikes
ScubaDrew
Link to this postPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:08 pm    

well they either weren't transmitting or it wasn't receiving. I tried at least three or four times scanning all the channels.

radio did work to call in for docking instructions when we were returning to sunsail. I went so far as to have tried to get weather while on the dock and was told by someone, I'm not certain they were a sunsail employee, to use the FM radio!

Drew
saildoggie
Link to this postPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:40 am    

There are wether reports on bot AM and FM stations per scheduile, your yacht stereo will pick them up, most very well done!

None to date as good as the "Barometer Bob" reports we heard in Abacos, nothing could compare!!
ScubaDrew
Link to this postPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:43 am    

Yeah, tried the AM/FM thing a few times, 45 minutes of reggae and talk - no weather. Alright, lets sail!
saildoggie
Link to this postPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:23 am    

Your charter co. should give you a listing of stations and times.

I found the 8:00 AM ones on an FM station most accurate and always started at 8:00 AM on the button (satelite watch)
MrBombastic
Link to this postPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:09 pm    

I don't know why you can't pick up the forecasts on the VHF. I recall someone else had that problem. In theory, you should be able to call your charter company on the cell or VHF and they should be able to give you the weather forecast.
ScubaDrew
Link to this postPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:26 pm    

Just found this:

"The daily marine forecast is also broadcast every morning at 8:05 AM on ZBVI 780AM, including winds and sea state reports. You can also hear it on VHF - tune in to Channel 16 (switching to channels 28 & 85) at 8:00am, 2:00pm, & 10:00pm."

I was under the impression there was a NOAA computerized voice weather station that you could somehow pick up.

*edit* this is what I used last time I was in the BVI, earlier in '08

"Weather channel WX-3 or WX-4. Nonstop NOAA Weather broadcast by St Thomas radio (USVI). Good, frequently updated. Not received from Virgin Gorda."

Maybe I need a lesson in tuning to "WX-3"

Drew
MrBombastic
Link to this postPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:05 pm    

Here's a link to the NOAA weather frequencies:

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/marine/wxradio.htm

Have never had a problem picking up the forecasts. Was your radio turned on??? laugh
CaptainJay
Link to this postPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:08 pm    

The radio in the boat may not have had a weather band. Some of the European boats come that way from the factory. We replaced the ones in the CYOA fleet with weatherband capable radios.
Jay
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Charter Boats All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Goto page 1, 2  Next, All
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

Terms of Use