BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Aristocat II No Longer in Charter Service with Pro Valor

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Charter Boats
View previous topic :: View next topic  
H Man
Link to this postPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:45 pm    

That means AC2 is at Anegada!
walker
Link to this postPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:45 am    

H Man wrote:
That means AC2 is at Anegada!

Nope - AC II is not at Anegada. Chuck and crew are here on Sanctuary. AC II was taken out of charter service by the owners two days before Chuck's charter was to start. His charter was fully prepaid, and he was not notified that the boat was being pulled from the Pro Valor fleet. Pro Valor did some last-minute shuffling and was able to let them sail on Sanctuary (an IS37).

Yeah, Chuck is really pissed. He will tell the full tale when he gets back.
saildoggie
Link to this postPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:20 am    

No worries!
Tell Chuck he is sailing on the winner of Foxy's Cat Fight in the under 40' class.

Sanctuary is also quite nice and almost identical to ACII, she also has a wind generator, solar panels and forward cooler that keeps stuff really cold!

ACII was looking about an inch tall when Sanctuary finished race 2!!Exclamation Exclamation
H Man
Link to this postPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:51 am    

Pulled from service?? I will need to inquire with Brent as to the status of my June booking on AC2.
walker
Link to this postPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:08 pm    

H Man wrote:
Pulled from service?? I will need to inquire with Brent as to the status of my June booking on AC2.

Absolutely - AC II is no longer with Pro Valor.
DawnB
Link to this postPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:16 pm    

Walker wrote:
H Man wrote:

Absolutely - AC II is no longer with Pro Valor.

Hmmm...waiting to hear the story...

We have chartered a boat with Brent for January - I hope there aren't problems with his service... *shakes head*
walker
Link to this postPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:34 pm    

I am not going to tell any more than necessary - but - Brent and Pro Valor are not to blame for this fiasco. The new owners of AC II are the culprits. Brent did all that he could - and then some. I am sure that Chuck will elaborate.
Utopia
Link to this postPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Note AC II

Hey everybody, just to set the record straight...

Yes ACII was pulled from ProValor. We were the ones who first informed Chuck of the situation and offered him full use of ACII for his vacation at no charge. We spent 3 weeks repairing and replacing a large list of items, making it charter ready and even signed release forms for his use if he wanted. After talking to Chuck he decided to use Sanctuary. ACII still has a non working fridge and having 8 guest aboard would be very hard for him (I agree). We are not trying to take anything away from Brent or gain anything for ourselves. We took over all management and maintenance of ACII and everything that was broken or needing repair has been fixed except the fridge, but at least its on order now (been broken since July). The last thing we want to do is ruin someones vacation. The desicion was very tough, but we did not have a choice. We also hoped to avoid any online drama, but from what we hear Brent is spreading incorrect rumors and trying to make it so we cannot do business in the BVI (immigration and gov't offices). We are doing whatever we legally can to make sure none of the bareboat vacations get affected and hope everything works out. Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions.
Tony and Melody
Link to this postPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:46 pm    

Oh my God DawnB,
Fridge that doesn't work since July?????? WTF is that all about? I hope that is a one boat deal and not a fleet thing.
walker
Link to this postPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:52 am    

Walker wrote:
I am not going to tell any more than necessary - but - Brent and Pro Valor are not to blame for this fiasco. The new owners of AC II are the culprits. Brent did all that he could - and then some. I am sure that Chuck will elaborate.

Well - hearing from Tony (I also received an email from him) - there appears to be more to this story than I have been told. What I had posted to date was based on what Chuck told me while he was here. According to Chuck's version of the story, they were totally unaware of the situation up until 48 hours before their charter was to begin.

I am glad that Tony has answered - and I am going to split this into a separate topic.

Last edited by walker on Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:36 am; edited 1 time in total
DawnB
Link to this postPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:25 am    

Was ACII in the Interline Regatta? If so, then I heard about a lot of damage done to the boat during that time...if it is the same boat.
saildoggie
Link to this postPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:03 am    

On Interline, a TTOL Member simply reported he suggested the charterer add a fender, she was rubbing on the dock at Leverick, no real damage per Tony.

I must say Tony and Melody were a lot of fun to hang out with at the the cat fight, nice people for sure.

Bret was also very nice and very capable when we returned Sanctuary to base.

I really hope they can work this out, any further spectulation is, well....speculation
confused
HillsideView
Link to this postPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:10 am    

Speculating?? Isn't that what the guy was doing in the bushes on the SeXM thread??
DawnB
Link to this postPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:37 am    

Well, like I said on the other board...(in a totally unrelated thread)

Brent from Pro Valor so far has been wonderful about answering questions and getting info to me that I wanted, so I am hopeful that things will continue to be wonderful once I get down there...

Having said that, I know that the boat I am chartering is not new, nor do I expect it to be pristine. My overall experiences have been with Conch & BVI Yacht Charters, so I am used to dealing with so-called 3rd Tier companies, so I think I can expect great service and hopefully a well maintained boat.

There are three sides to every story, so I'll keep that in mind and report back my experiences after my January charter...
saildoggie
Link to this postPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:47 am    

So Dawn, are you aboard S/V Sanctuary?

I know her pretty well, she sails well, is in very good shape and is very comfortable.
I was aboard just a few weeks ago.

Done some heavy weather sailing on her from Vieques SVI-STT, logged around 70 miles all with the wind on our nose in 22+28+ kt. winds and steep 6' seas, she handles beautifully.
DawnB
Link to this postPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:51 am    

saildoggie wrote:
So Dawn, are you aboard S/V Sanctuary?

Nope...I'm a monohuller... Laughing

Even with my recent experience aboard Jeannius, I still like sailing monohulls.

I'll be aboard a Bene 321 named Second Wind. There is just the two of us, so it is plenty big enough.
MrBombastic
Link to this postPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:54 am    

saildoggie wrote:

I really hope they can work this out, any further spectulation is, well....speculation
confused

I would speculate that your speculating that speculative remarks have been made and future posts would be speculative. Is my speculation that you are speculating speculative or true? I would speculate that you believe my speculation is not speculative, but of course that would be speculative on my part.laugh
saildoggie
Link to this postPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:55 pm    

MrBombastic wrote:
saildoggie wrote:

confused

I would speculate that your speculating that speculative remarks have been made and future posts would be speculative. Is my speculation that you are speculating speculative or true? I would speculate that you believe my speculation is not speculative, but of course that would be speculative on my part.laugh

confused confused confused Been hittin' that Holiday "Cheer' already? confused confused
saildoggie
Link to this postPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:58 pm    

Dawn, I did not see Second Wind when we were at Pro Valor, prbably out on charter but wow, what a deal!

If we visit as just the Admiral and I that would be the way to go for sure!
MrBombastic
Link to this postPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:47 pm    

saildoggie wrote:

confused confused confused Been hittin' that Holiday "Cheer' already? confused confused

Now, now, I couldn't write that if I was drunk. That's unfounded speculation on your part.
DawnB
Link to this postPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:19 pm    

saildoggie wrote:
Dawn, I did not see Second Wind when we were at Pro Valor, prbably out on charter but wow, what a deal!

If we visit as just the Admiral and I that would be the way to go for sure!

Yup...a great deal. And from talking with Brent over the past few months, I don't think it is "too good to be true", but we'll see...

Are you down in the Islands before June, Saildoggie?
kentth
Link to this postPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:50 pm    

I have Sanctuary chartered the first week of June. Hearing things like this doesn't make you feel too comfortable. So I sent an email to Tom Garvey the owner of Sanctuary. He reassured me that everything was fine and that there was more to the story. Which is what I figured.

You might want to get all sides of the story, before jumping to conclusions.

Kent
MrBombastic
Link to this postPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:01 am    

kentth wrote:

You might want to get all sides of the story, before jumping to conclusions.

Kent

Well that's difficult if apparently the people that know all sides of the story don't want to tell it. confused confused
Kerry
Link to this postPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:38 am    

Am I reading Pro Valor (Brents) site correct that he has only 3 boats available for charter? I am not sure that makes too profitable of a business...
CaptJim
Link to this postPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:03 am    

Actually, I think Brent is down to two boats now.
Link to this postPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:48 pm    

I want to preface my comments with two caveats:

1) I have a vested interest in this issue as the owner of Sanctuary;
2) This matter is currently the subject of a lawsuit filed in the BVIs by Brent against the Eads for breach of contract, so since I don't want to get involved in that I will be careful about what I say.

First of all, it is very unfortunate that we are discussing something like this in a forum that should be about sailing and having a good time, and I wish that no one had brought it up in a public forum, either on TTOL or here. But, given that it has been discussed, I will weigh in-

From what I know, this is a contract dispute between the Eads & Provalor/Brent. For the Eads to try to make it sound like it is related to maintenance issues is a red herring. There may be maintenance issues, I'm not going to comment one way or the other on that, but the maintenance issues cited are from within the last few months, and this all started several months ago.

What are facts are that the Eads had a contract to have their boat in charter with Brent, Brent had booked charters on the boat, the Eads wanted to make modifications in the contract that Brent wouldn't agree to, and the Eads pulled the boat with no notice and just a couple of days before a charterer was going to arrive to get on the boat. The charter was moved to Sanctuary, so Chuck & his crew were accomodated.

What is also a fact is that Brent has filed suit against the Eads and that, as the first action in that lawsuit, yesterday the boat was "arrested" by the BVI authorities, towed to Nanny Cay, hauled out and impounded. I can only assume that the authorities must have seen enough merit in Brent's lawsuit to take such an action.

Brent has refrained from disparaging the Eads in a public forum and in my view is acting as any business person would under the circumstances to protect his interests. So far, it looks like the law is on his side. Whatever the Eads' justifications may be in their own minds, they have seen fit to publicly disparage Brent on what is at best a secondary issue, which is tacky if not downright dishonest, and have acted in a way that led to their boat being impounded.

I will refrain from further comment on all this stuff unless I see someone posting something that I know with certainty to be untrue. I hope everyone else can also refrain from engaging in uninformed speculation and we can all get back to discussing fun stuff.

Cheers,
Tom
Utopia
Link to this postPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:29 pm    

Tom,
Im not sure where you heard that from but some of your information is very untrue. Yes, we did want to renegoiate the original contract with Brent due to wanting more owner time. A few months ago we agreed upon an amendment to the original contract for additional owner time. At that time we were happy with the terms. That was the end of our contract issues.
When we arrived in October we were very unpleased with the condition of our boat. We spent 3 weeks thinking about this while we repaired and replaced problems on the boat. It was not an easy decision. We are aware that we have a contract with Brent, but feel that he breached that contract when he did not live up to the maintenance that was promised. We have to look out for our investment.
We have not said anything that is untrue and we are not trying to disparage Brent. We are simply telling our side of the story since an untrue version was posted. We have not made any statements up until we saw untrue information being written about us and would have preferred this be left off the forums as well.
The boat has been arrested simply because it is involved in a lawsuit and has nothing to do with authoritiies seeing merit in either side.
saildoggie
Link to this postPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:14 pm    

After having a great time with Tony and Melody at the Cat Fight and also meeting Brent for the first time a few weeks ago.....

Me thinks we best leave this one alone here. Rolling Eyes

kentth
Link to this postPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:38 pm    

2 boats, 3 boats or 200 boats...the size of the operation doesn't matter. just as long as you receive the product and service that you pay for. In fact most of the time you receive more bang for your buck from a smaller operation then a larger one. They generally bend over backwards to accommodate you and are actually interested in you as a customer and not just another account number.

Before we put our money down with any company, large or small, we check them out. large companies go bankrupt sometimes quicker then small ones. Before we signed our contract with Brent, I did a lot of checking into his company, I talked to past charters, checked into past history, etc. Of course I did the same thing before we chartered with Sunsail. Like Tom said we are all in this for the fun and a chance to get away from the daily grind.

I understand why Brent can not say anything if he has a pending lawsuit, so lets let them fight that out in court, but it is great to have forums like these for people to post both the good and the bad experience that they have and hopefully everybody can sort out the BS.

After sending my emails and doing my checks, my biggest hope is that when I get off the ferry in Roadtown that I have the boat that I paid for, so my family can enjoy their vacation, which I feel confident will occur.

Oh ah, I am a little partial to small companies, I run a company that daily goes to battle against a giant, they are 9500 times larger then me in sales volume and we kick their ass on a daily basis. They are down 16% on the year and we are only down 5%, not bad in an economy like we have now. There profits are down and mine are way up.

So back to the work, I have another of my competition's customers in my sights duel to take over next week. Heck I have to make more money so I can charter more boats.

Kent
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Charter Boats All times are CST (GMT - 6 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use