BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Cane Garden Bay Crime

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Live Cruising Guide -> Cane Garden Bay, BVI
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walker
Link to this postPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Note Cane Garden Bay Crime

In light of the recent high number of breakins to visiting yachts in Cane Garden Bay, I feel like I have to say:

Avoid Cane Garden Bay - unless you want your boat to be broken in to.

There are plenty of other good anchorages in the BVI and Cane Garden Bay has nothing there worth the risk of a breakin.
Link to this postPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:33 pm    

What a shame.

Is this "recent high number" an even higher bump from the trend we've been hearing about over the past few months?
HillsideView
Link to this postPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:04 pm    

Have it on good authority that nothing has happened since the event that has been making the papers. It has kind of turned into a feeding frenzy with people hearing of the same event from different people, the old "telephone game". To quote from an e mail I rec'd from a friend in CGB today..."You do not want to be a thief or police commissioner in CGB, you will get hurt".

Whats kind of strange, in all my years in CGB I've never seen anything happen, and I take a room from Quito directly across from the dinghy dock. I spend most evenings sitting on the porch and watching the drunks try to get into their dinghies!!

Update: They got the fugger http://www.bvinews.com/main.asp?SectionID=5&SubSectionID=45&ArticleID=1766
walker
Link to this postPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:14 pm    

cpMike wrote:
What a shame.

Is this "recent high number" an even higher bump from the trend we've been hearing about over the past few months?

Partly, but it is the actually events over the past few years (which seem to be getting steadily worse) that have put CGB on my "avoid" list. If you are staying ashore, then CGB is OK.

Other dissenting opinions are welcome - this is simply mine.
MrBombastic
Link to this postPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:10 pm    

Virgin Traders has not allowed there charter boats there for a couple of years now (for a variety of reasons).

Besides theft, being approached to buy drugs every time you come ashore is a real turn off. They need to get these guys outta there. Seems to me that shouldn't be real hard IF they really wanted to do it. It makes us uncomfortable. By the way, same issue Great Harbour, JVD. It gives it that "Jamaica" feel. Just don't like it.
saildoggie
Link to this postPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:50 pm    

On approached for drugs, last trip the dude at the dock that always simply says "weed" Ii held out my had and said "free samples" shoulda seen the look on his face! Very Happy
MrBombastic
Link to this postPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:05 am    

Walker wrote:
If you are staying ashore, then CGB is OK.

Other dissenting opinions are welcome - this is simply mine.

Between the sheeple and the drug dealers, and now the armed robbery at Bobby's in CGB, it's just not where I want to be (land based or boat). IMHO where there are drug dealers/deals, there's money which all translates to crime. With the criminal element already there (drug dealers) it would seem to me it is just a matter of time before this stuff spills over to other types of crime (i.e land based). With the economy going in the tank this will probably get worse. There are definitely other places to stay/visit where this isn't an issue.

Unfortunately the locals/government seemed to turn a blind eye to this over the years. As long as I've been going there, the people I knew in the charter business were always cognizant of the fact. I guess because the economy was good and the boats/tourists just kept coming in (because they weren't aware of the issues), the BVI didn''t care. As we are all aware, tourism significantly increased over the past years. For every charter boat that didn't return, there were three new charters that would. With the economy in the tank I would venture to say that may not be the case right now. Maybe the BVI folks thought the crime was just CGB's "Little Secret".

Now that Hillside has enlightened the locals in CGB, I am confident things will turn around. However, before I return, I want to see some concrete action.
H Man
Link to this postPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:03 pm    

Quote:
Partly, but it is the actually events over the past few years (which seem to be getting steadily worse) that have put CGB on my "avoid" list.

Walker (and all):

Thanks for being direct on CGB. Not to pour gasoline on the fire, but what else is on your "avoid" list?

H.
Kerry
Link to this postPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:04 pm    

Trellis Bay also traditionally has a lot of dinghy thefts, so we are careful there. Over the last 3-4 months there have been quite a few dinghys being stolen in Soper's Hole, or interestingly enough just the gas siphoned out of them! (I guess with the price of fuel). They are often taken over to the USVI from there.
We have started being very cautious in many of the marinas on Tortola, although that is mostly crimes of opportunity it appears where the crew or people go out for an hour and don't lock the boat and they come back and computers IPODS etc are stolen.
Still, overall, not too bad here in the BVI compared to some other places, although it does worry me that it will get worse with the economy slowing and layoffs happening a lot here. Traditionally, petty theft picks up around the carnival in off season around here as it is off season and people are looking for money....
The only place we have ever been robbed was someone SWAM out to our boat on mooring at Baughers Bay years ago! Thank god they found my husbands wallet first and left as we were on board in our cabin watching TV! We got up and found wet footprints everywhere...
walker
Link to this postPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:46 pm    

H Man wrote:
what else is on your "avoid" list?

OK - this is completely personal opinion now.... and I hope the mod squad doesn't shut us down....

1. Bitter End Yacht Club - Sorry, BEYC is NOT the Caribbean.

2. Sprat Bay, Peter Island (Peter Island Yacht Club) - We can be made to feel unwanted for a lot less expense.

3. The Baths, Virgin Gorda - a one-time "been there done that" place. We will take new guests there - but, on our own, not on the menu.

4. Soper's Hole - other than the Jolly Roger, why bother with this stinkhole?

5. The Bight, Norman Island - again - why bother? I guess we have outgrown the Willy T.
HillsideView
Link to this postPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:05 pm    

Bomba's has pretty much run it's course for me.....unless i want to watch newbies make fools of themselves, but haven't been there in years(at least at night). Second the thought on the Baths, nice for newcomers,but kind of a been there done that.
MrBombastic
Link to this postPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:21 pm    

Walker wrote:
H Man wrote:
what else is on your "avoid" list?

OK - this is completely personal opinion now.... and I hope the mod squad doesn't shut us down....

1. Bitter End Yacht Club - Sorry, BEYC is NOT the Caribbean.

2. Sprat Bay, Peter Island (Peter Island Yacht Club) - We can be made to feel unwanted for a lot less expense.

3. The Baths, Virgin Gorda - a one-time "been there done that" place. We will take new guests there - but, on our own, not on the menu.

4. Soper's Hole - other than the Jolly Roger, why bother with this stinkhole?

5. The Bight, Norman Island - again - why bother? I guess we have outgrown the Willy T.

1) BEYC and North Sound in general. While BEYC is not our cup of tea, we will take first timers there for a brief tour. With respect to the North Sound, the mini cruise ship line "Sea Dreams" has this as part of there itinerary. They anchor in the Sound (I saw two last year) and flood the beach at the Sandbox. They rent all the chairs from the Sandbox and the bar/restaurant is closed. Sea Dreams sets up their own buffet/bar on the beach. Check their schedule before you go. If the swells are bad (as they were last year) they tend to hang out there because other stops on the itinerary get nixed.

2) Sprat Bay - Nice gift shop. Again, something to show first timers, but that's about it. Never have picked up a mooring ball, always just take the tender. If you need ice, you can get it there. Don't expect enthusiastic service.

3) The Baths - I still like that Baths, but only when it's not crowded. Dealing with day trippers and sheeple makes for a bad experience. If it's not crowded we stop, if it is we leave.

4.) Sopers Hole - The only reason we might stay there is to get are laundary done. We call Jerry (car rental) get a car, drop off our laundry near by, and spend the day cruising around Tortola. Lock the dinghy at all times. The market has a good bakery upstairs. By the way, for some reason that's a sheeple stop.

5.) The Bight - Willy T can still be fun when your with a group. But I wouldn't feel bad if I didn't stop there or the Bight in general. Good for first timers. Other issues - lots of day trippers that swarm the beach at Pirates and people driiving around like nuts with their dinghies in the anchorage. By the way, the music at Pirates in the evening is IMHO pretty bad , it's like disco meets the carribean.

I'll add Foxy's. The foods OK but the music in our opinion (Son of Foxy) is really lame. We ONLY go to great harbour to eat at Corsair and visit with Vinny. If he wasn't there we wouldn't bother.

White bay - While still nice, be forewarned, it can be loaded with day trippers. For us, we wouldn't feel bad if we passed it on our trips.
HillsideView
Link to this postPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:27 pm    

Get into White Bay by 8 and it is pretty much all yours until 11:30 or 12. We were in Great Harbour overnite and went over early, really nice,like the old days.
NCSailor
Link to this postPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:42 am    

Encouraging news that the authorities seem to have rounded up the balance of the Cane Garden Bay Gang and possibly recovered the camera for the sailor with cancer. It's discouraging that they may have found a gun on one of the suspects. That brings the danger involved in these burglaries to a whole new level.

http://www.bviplatinum.com/news.php?section=article&source=1227611361
teammac
Link to this postPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:18 pm    

Any updates on crime in CGB? We are thinking about another Bombas full moon and were trying to decide where to anchor.
HillsideView
Link to this postPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:10 pm    

Nothing that I have heard about. There was post on TTOL that "as a matter of fact,during the last 3 full moon parties" , well, from someone who admits THEY NEVER go to CGB, how would she know? I WAS there for the January FM Party, took CaptJim and crew until 11pm, then we were back at CGB and I sat on our balcony directly overlooking the dinghy dock and CGB and can tell you, nothing was amiss that night! Full moon had the anchorage so lit up, you could see absolutely everything.
Security guard at top of steps at dock stays until last dink leaves and there are plenty of eyes watching along the bay.
Have heard of some villas getting popped over in Belmont area, but apparently some arrests were made on that.
Will personally be watching the anchorage again for the March full moon, so come on down!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Live Cruising Guide -> Cane Garden Bay, BVI All times are CST (GMT - 6 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use