BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Online ordering: RTW v. Bobby's

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Provisioning and Shopping
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Auspicious
Link to this postPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject:  Online ordering: RTW v. Bobby's

I'm interested in using RTW for my forthcoming charter (mid-November). I made an initial exploratory run through their website. Someone needs to give it some attention! Way too many clicks and too much time for each item.

For the RTW fans, how do you get your order in without losing your mind? If I can't find a reasonable way to place an order (including non-integral number of pounds for by-weight orders) I'll be going back to Bobby's.

sail fast, dave
walker
Link to this postPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:18 pm    

I do find it interesting that no one in the BVI seems to understand e-commerce website design. I am like you - I will not struggle with a poorly designed e-commerce site.

RiteWay's website does not even have fresh meat on it - and they are the PLACE for fresh meat.

OK - that being said - I have shopped with them only by telephone. That has always worked for me. And I was able to get whatever fresh meat we wanted.
Link to this postPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:31 pm    

We have used Bobby's Excel spreadsheet twice. As long as you have MS Excel installed it is simple to use and you don't even need to understand Excel. What is nice about it is when you are done you click "Process" and it produces a tidy summary of your order. You are not looking at pages and pages listing every possible skew...only those items that you selected. Save that as a file and email that off to Bobby's who in our case got back quickly with confirmation.

With "Bobby's" permission I "borrowed" their spreadsheet and the programming macros behind to create a similar spreadsheet for our wholesaling business here in Toronto. It works great.

As everyone on TTOL was raving about Riteway I looked into using them in Jan 09. Their website drove me back to reality. I will stick with Bobbys and we'll scoot over to Riteway in Fat Hogs Bay, where we pick up our boat, for any last minute fresh items
saildoggie
Link to this postPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:52 pm    

Great thread and great points for sure!
We have alwats used Bobby's and been pleased with the order.
Riteway is missing the boat with their limited online order form,last thing I wanna do on vacation is dink around a grocery store!
kentth
Link to this postPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:27 pm    

We have used Bobby's both times we have chartered, and plan on using them this June. The spreadsheet is nice, since we send a copy to everyone in the crew, they can then make their selections and we then combine them into the final order.

Have found the deliveries to be on time and accurate, plus the delivery people are never in a hurry about getting rid of you stuff. They wait until you have checked your order and make sure everything is ok.

Highly recommend them

Kent
MrBombastic
Link to this postPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:45 am    

If I recall correctly, Auspicious' girlfriend is a vegetarian so Riteway vs Bobby for meats, probably not a big issue. If meat was a concern and you are really that picky, then do what the Canuck said, order online for everything but meat from Bobby's and then buy your meat at Riteway. Make sure you get their early though, it's been my experience the cupboards a little bare later in the day. BTW, if you happen to be there, the grosery store in Spanish town has nice fresh meat.

I will say this, for me I would not go out of my way to go to Riteway just for meat, would rather do anything but that. I've been more than happy with all the meats at Bobby's (it's not like they get their beef from cows on Anegada). I would guess a large percentage of people wouldn't know the difference if the food is prepared correctly (particurlarly after a few cocktails). Unless you are really really picky, don't worry about it, it's all good.
Link to this postPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:16 am    

MrBombastic wrote:
. Unless you are really really picky, don't worry about it, it's all good.

How true. Bar B Qued burgers in the middle of a January snowstorm or off the back grill while at anchor in The Bight are both full of extra flavour.
Link to this postPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:50 pm    

kentth wrote:
Have found the deliveries to be on time and accurate, plus the delivery people are never in a hurry about getting rid of you stuff. They wait until you have checked your order and make sure everything is ok.

I just came across this thread and wanted to chime in here. This is so true. Last year our order came from Bobby's just after our briefing at TMM had started. The briefer had decided to use our boat (Jeannius) as the host boat for all of the boats shipping off that day, since we had A/C. So there were at least 5 couples on board and no way could we off load the food from Bobby's. I felt awful! But the guy from Bobby's just curled up under a tree and took a nap. I felt bad making the guy wait, but he didn't seem to mind! He was a nice guy.

When the briefing ended, at least we had lots of hands to help put the MANY cases of beer on the boat!
saildoggie
Link to this postPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:34 pm    

Funny, Bobbys also delivered during our briefing aboard Jeannius at TMM.

I was more than done with our briefer, Mr. retired Royal Navy pompous A$$, asked him to take a break so can put our perishibles away twice, didn't listen, finally told him to get the #@^&! off the boat NOW!
Link to this postPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:12 pm    

Ah yes, our favorite person at TMM. The briefing that went on FOREVER! And none of the information was helpful.
saildoggie
Link to this postPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:55 pm    

You got it!

I had way moe than enough as soon as the dork asked me how many charters in BVI's, oh, 10 charters, you are the most dangerous Skipper out there then...

The check ride never happened, Joe cast us off and I gave a special salute to that A$$
as we spun her around and started our vacation!!

The look on his face was PRICELESS!! rofl rofl rofl rofl
DawnB
Link to this postPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:06 am    

I also can't believe that Riteway doesn't list their meat on the website! Grrrr!

I have used Bobby's every time we have been cruising in the BVI so far. No complaints, always there when we asked, substitutions were minimal. However, the last time there was a few major screw ups, and I wasn't that happy with some of the products, so I am trying Riteway this time.

We always keep a copy of what we ordered the last time (through the excel spreadsheet) on the computer, so that we know what we got, and just increase or decrease for the number of people going next time, adding a few things and removing a few that just didn't work for us.

This time, I am going to go to Riteway myself and get my fresh produce, meats and breads. I will be ordering the big stuff/grocery items to be delivered (or ready for us when we get there, depending on what they say).

I am cheating a little, in that I am using my previous Bobby's list as a "shopping" list so that I don't go too crazy and overshop once I get there.
walker
Link to this postPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:52 am    

Riteway doesn't list meat on their website because fresh meat is individually cut, and the price varies with the market.

You can call them, though, and they will take your order for meat over the phone. This is the best way because you can describe what you want. Ask for Anil Sookhoo at Riteway. 284-494-2263.
Scripty
Link to this postPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:14 pm    

I used the online ordering process with Bobby's and have to say that, overall, I was happy. The only thing I wasn't too thrilled with was that the pineapples were ROCK hard and took too long to ripen. We couldn't use them before it was time to go. Same with the avocados, come to think of it. Next time I would ask for ripe ones. They also made some substitutions for things they must have been out of, but we came off the better for it so far as I could tell.

hungry
Link to this postPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:08 pm    

Funny you should mention that; last time I was in de ilons and ordered pineapple from Bobby's, it was already ripe when we got it and we underestimated how quickly it'd go bad. By the time we got to it (third day) we were only able to salvage maybe a quarter of the pineapple. I'm starting to put together our order for this June and I was going to try to specify some not-quite-ripe fruit. Maybe I won't need to!
HillsideView
Link to this postPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:18 pm    

I prefer to squeeze the melons in person. Don't want to spend the whole trip waiting for it to ripen!
Link to this postPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:26 pm    

And what does your wife have to say about that?
HillsideView
Link to this postPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:29 pm    

Oh,my wife quit commenting on my behavior years ago. Thats why she wears that "My next husband will be normal" shirt all the time.
Link to this postPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:34 pm    

jester haha! nice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Provisioning and Shopping All times are CST (GMT - 6 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use