BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
Log in Register
BVI Weather
Fishing License
 
Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Tight Lines -> Fishing in General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Guest
Link to this postPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Pirate Fishing License

There is a link to the fishing license application on your site. If you mail the application and the moneyorder, required documents and photos will they mail a license back to you?

We are arriving on Friday evening and government offices will not be open until the following Monday. It would be good t to buy the license ahead of the charter. confused

Skipper Jay
Back to top
walker
Link to this postPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:33 pm    

If you mail the application and money order, there is about a 99% chance that nothing will happen. The other 1% is that your application might be returned.

I need to remove the application from the website, as it is a total waste of time.

Your best bet is to call Last Stop Sports at 284-494-0564. They will do your fishing license processing for you and have it waiting for you when you arrive.
Back to top
ScubaDrew
Link to this postPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:41 am    

After a week of non-working email addresses for BVI government, about 50 phone transfers, I've narrowed the process down to this:

- Call 1 284 494 3701 ask for extension 2147
- Tell the extremely nice person you will get that you'd like to buy a temporary fishing license
- Provide email address and credit card info
- They will email you a current application
- When you email the completed application back they will charge your CC and FAX you the license!

You save the $10 of having last stop do it for you, and you've got it in your hands the same day.

yikes

think sun and sand,

Drew

Quote:
from xxx@gov.vg
to xxx@gmail.com
date Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 11:41 AM
subject Fishing Licence Application
mailed-by gov.vg
Thank you for your inquiry inti obtaining a fishing licence. Please find the necessary application form attached for completion. You are also required to email us avalid photo id (drivers licence/passport).

Thank you once again and I await your mail.

Sharlene Parsons
Ministry of Natural Resources & Labour
Back to top
saildoggie
Link to this postPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:56 am    

But.....You gotta go pick it up!

Just sent my application and passport scan to Scott at Islan Surf and Sail.

The permit will be in the Nav table on Sanctuary when I arrive! Laughing
Back to top
ScubaDrew
Link to this postPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:13 am    

Nope, they FAX it to you!

I'm sitting in my office in Vermont right now, holding a BVI fishing license...

Drew

saildoggie wrote:
But.....You gotta go pick it up!

Just sent my application and passport scan to Scott at Islan Surf and Sail.

The permit will be in the Nav table on Sanctuary when I arrive! Laughing
Back to top
saildoggie
Link to this postPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:34 am    

No Chit?

I'll give it a try, Island Surf and Sail is an excellent source for renting gear, kayaks and all kids of cool stuff, service with a smile and top shape equipment.

I have always rented kayaks and all from them and probably never charged for the service of also providing the fishing permit.

Not renting any gear this trip but this is the place to get it:

Island Surf and Sail:
www.bviwatertoys.com

They provide a nice convenience in taking care of the permits for you.

To save Scott at Island and Sail the trouble, I have contacted the number and had nice conversation, done deal at no extra charge. Hope to have the permit this afternoon!
Back to top
saildoggie
Link to this postPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:10 pm    

Holy Cow!!

My Fishing Permit was faxed to me within a few hours of emailing the application and CC info!!

Ms. Parsons is AMAZING!!

That was as painless as could be for all involved!! Cool
Back to top
ScubaDrew
Link to this postPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:23 pm    

Amazing that Last Stop Action Sports, etc have been making money off this for so long. They go so far as to indicate "The fishing license government building closes early on friday" - not true. They are open until 4:30 every day.

What a racket!

Glad it worked for you too saildoggie!

Now if I could just figure out how to catch fish in the BVI I'll be all set.
Back to top
saildoggie
Link to this postPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:31 pm    

Seriously, been emailing back and forth with Scott at Island Surf and Sail, they really don't make any money on obtaining the permits, it is an extension of their service and do it gladly as a Customer service gesture.

They have been physically driving to the office and getting the permits.

Betting they can do it electronically just as we did, you just don't get the nice colorful original copy.

I have become friends with Scott and rent kayaks from him but bring my own fishing gear.

'Drew, you are coming down soon as well?

I fly in October 24!!
Back to top
ScubaDrew
Link to this postPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:39 pm    

Last minute whirlwind trip - flying down on friday 10/9 until 10/16. I'll be back in Dec for 12 days also! Last Dec was my first time fishing from a sailboat. I dropped a plug in on a trolling rig i rented from last stop action sports. Caught one good mackerel. Really hoping to do better this time around!
Back to top
saildoggie
Link to this postPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:13 pm    

Bright colored feather trolling jigs work well, bright green, pink....

Rapala type diving lures have also worked well for me, hope you have a chartplotter, the Kingfish Banks are usually quite productive, done well around The Dogs as well.

Have fun, right behind you!!
Back to top
ScubaDrew
Link to this postPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:55 am    

Thanks for the tips!

Is there a good/not too expensive place to pickup tackle on Tortola? I tried to grab some last night, but the place in Vermont doesnít stock too much salt water haha.

The sunsail boat last year had a chartplotter Ė so I assume Iíll have one this year. Iím going to try anchor alarm if itís got that function this time too.
Back to top
saildoggie
Link to this postPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:22 am    

Yep, I reccomend Richardson Rigging in Tortola, usually even have rigged Ballyhoo!!

http://www.richardsonsrigging.com/fishing_shop.html
Back to top
Guest
Link to this postPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:51 pm    Post subject: Note Ms. Parson's e-mail address

Do you have Ms. Parson's e-mail address?
Back to top
Guest
Link to this postPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject: Note License in Hand

I sent a note to JaBarry-Fahie@gov.vg, filled in the application and received my license within a day. Great service!
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Tight Lines -> Fishing in General All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Page 1 of 1
 
Jump to:  

Terms of Use