BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
USVI - Cruise Ship Day Trip Destinations (places to avoid)

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Live Cruising Guide -> U.S. Virgin Islands
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrBombastic
Link to this postPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject:  USVI - Cruise Ship Day Trip Destinations (places to avoid)

What destinations get overrun by [censored] that one should avoid (i.e. Cane Garden Bays of the USVI)?
walker
Link to this postPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:38 pm    

This board didn't put "[censored]" there, did it???
MrBombastic
Link to this postPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:17 pm    

Walker wrote:
This board didn't put "[censored]" there, did it???

No, Just a little sheeple humour!!! laugh
Dugg
Link to this postPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject:  USVI - Cruise Ship Day Trip Destinations (places to avoid)

Hi
The only island that actually has cruise ships as a physical presence is St. Thomas. The cruise ships avoid St. Croix, ostensively because of crime, but more likely for purely economic reasons. No cruise ships on St. John. Excursions to St. John do come from St. Thomas, with the majority of the crowds going to Trunk Bay, with its snorkeling trail. Cinnamon Bay gets a lot of people too, but my impression is that most are from the Westin (on the southwest shore). There are a host of beautiful beaches - the farther from Cruz Bay the better, of course. (Read Salt Pond Bay, Lameshur, etc.)
Of course you didn’t mention whether you are going to be land based, on a crewed charter, or on a bare boat. This makes it hard to advise you further.
Peace
Dugg and Chris
http://picasaweb.google.com/papadugg/
Note : Finally got the ‘96, ‘97, ‘98, ‘02 and ‘04 pics posted
Twanger
Link to this postPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject:  Re: USVI - Cruise Ship Day Trip Destinations (places to avoi

MrBombastic wrote:
What destinations get overrun by [censored] that one should avoid (i.e. Cane Garden Bays of the USVI)?

Many of the tourists go shopping at Havensight mall and down-town Charlotte Amalia.
MrBombastic
Link to this postPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:47 am    

Dugg, I will be on a boat.
Link to this postPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:41 pm    

I live on St.Thomas.
Depends on what you are looking for. If you would like to go shopping down town is great. Also St.john has great shops in Cruz Bay.
If you are looking for nice beaches St.john is the way to go. The north side is beautiful. Francis and maho bay are nice and quiet but there is no bar/resturant on land.
i think St.john has a lot of nice quiet lil bays to just have a peacful nice.

As far as assholes they are everywhere!! But due to cruise ship activity St.Thomas tends to have more of them.

Hope this helps a little! Very Happy
Dugg
Link to this postPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:54 pm    Post subject:  USVI - Cruise Ship Day Trip Destinations (places to avoid)

Hi
BTW - Cane Garden Bay (as mentioned in your original post) is on Tortola in the BVI. There is almost no detailed information about the location of all of the Park service moorings on St. John. Guess you might have to get that information at the Park Service office at Cruz Bay. There is no reason why you should have any concern with cruise ship crowds on most of the beaches on St. John. A detailed description of the beaches is at www.stjohntour.com/BeachesMap.html and www.stjohnbeachguide.com/Beaches.htm.
Although we’re sure there must be excursions to beaches in St. Thomas from the cruise ships that land at Charlotte Amalie, we have no idea where they go. Surely, at least some must go to, for example, Magens Bay and Coral World. Somebody on St. Thomas might provide that info. We generally go to St. John from CA as fast as we can. If we chance to charter in the USVI in the future, some research along this line will be in order.
Peace
Dugg and Chris
MrBombastic
Link to this postPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject:  Re: USVI - Cruise Ship Day Trip Destinations (places to avoi

Dugg wrote:

Although we’re sure there must be excursions to beaches in St. Thomas from the cruise ships that land at Charlotte Amalie, we have no idea where they go. Surely, at least some must go to, for example, Magens Bay and Coral World. Somebody on St. Thomas might provide that info. We generally go to St. John from CA as fast as we can. If we chance to charter in the USVI in the future, some research along this line will be in order.
Peace
Dugg and Chris

I'm going to dig into this a little further to see if we can come up with somewhat of a definitve list. I think it would be very useful before a trip rather than having to experience it to get the info. As a note - definitely know CGB is in the BVI, just was using as a point of reference to avoid similar places in USVI. I've cruised the BVI for 8 yrs with limited time in the USVI. Our last trip (4 weeks in March) was great but we got a little frustrated with the cruise ship passenger and day tripper invasions of once enjoyable beaches. In 2009 we plan to spend two weeks in the USVI and two weeks BVI. At the end of the day, I may just hire a local captain for a week in the USVI as I'm sure they will know where to avoid and when. In the meantime I'm gonna work on this list and any input is a great help.
Auspicious
Link to this postPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:31 am    

If you have the time and energy to do the research, you might start with the local papers to get the identity and schedule of cruise ships in CA. Call or write the cruise lines and ask them what excursions they sponsor (you don't have to tell them why you want to know <grin>).

If you can stand it, you might read the reviews on cruisecritic.com, cruisemates.com, and tripadvisor.

sail fast, dave
MrBombastic
Link to this postPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:50 am    

Auspicious wrote:
If you have the time and energy to do the research, you might start with the local papers to get the identity and schedule of cruise ships in CA. Call or write the cruise lines and ask them what excursions they sponsor (you don't have to tell them why you want to know <grin>).

If you can stand it, you might read the reviews on cruisecritic.com, cruisemates.com, and tripadvisor.

sail fast, dave

Dear (name your cruies ship),

I'm interested in a cruise to the USVI and I was wondering if you could tell me how many days you spend in CA and what day excursions are available.

Sincerely,

Ima Sheeple

Think that will work Mr. Green

Yes that was a good suggestion and I was thinking the same thing.

As far as the forums go, didn't think of that but good idea. I need to have a couple drinks first to work up to it and may use the computer at the Library. Wouldn't want anybody to find that stuff on my computer!!!
NCSailor
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:57 am    

At times Trunk Bay can be completly overrun with cruise ship day trippers from St. Thomas. They behave in much the same manner as they do at CGB. Its not unusual to find piles of cigarette buts extinguished in the sand when the hoards depart.
CaptainJay
Link to this postPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:39 pm    

Almost all of St John will be unscathed by cruise ship passengers. The exceptions will be Trunk Bay and Cinnamon Bay. If you are visiting either by water it won't mater. The moorings are outside the swim lines and you don't have to go ashore if they are over run. The remaining beaches don't have the facilities to support masses of people. As for St Thomas, downtown is always crazy with more than two boats in. You need at least one in if you want to go shopping as allot of stores won't open if there aren't any ships in. Beaches on St Thomas that will be effected will be mainly isolated to Coki and Magen's for the same reasons as St John. There are facilities at these beaches. You will also see some at Sapphire but due to the lack of open restaurants this isn't as pronounced as it once was.

As to the answer about moorings in St John. Almost all of the national park beaches have moorings available. This includes Caneel Bay, Hawksnest, Trunk, Cinnamon, Maho, Francis, Lameshure, Little Lamesure, Salt Pond, Leinster and Whistling Cay. By the way I live on St Thomas and work for a charter company here.
Jay
MrBombastic
Link to this postPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:30 am    

Here is a good link for cruise ship schedules to assist in planning:

http://www.vinow.com/general_usvi/cruiseship/ship_schedule.php?currMonth=8&currYear=2008
Link to this postPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:07 am    

We're actually planning almost a full day in CA. We'll finish our week at the Willie T and then grab the AM WestEnd ferry to CA the next day so that the ladies can do their retail therapy. I would not mind finding a quiet beach where I can build up my vitaman D while they shop. What beach is reasonably close to CA preferably with refreshments but far enough away to discourage the sheeple?
Thanks
HillsideView
Link to this postPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:39 pm    

Nice beach up at Lindbergh by the airport. Think the BW Emerald Beach(?) is there, decent bar and restaurant(2 years ago).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Live Cruising Guide -> U.S. Virgin Islands All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use