BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Fifty Pound Snapper

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Tight Lines -> Fishing in General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walker
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject:  Fifty Pound Snapper

Caught this bad boy last month while sitting on the beach and sipping rum in front of Hidden Treasure:

It is a dogtooth snapper that weighed in at 50 pounds. Caught it using a whole gar for bait. Bell is making saltfish from it now.
MrBombastic
Link to this postPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:57 am    

That's a fish.

I hope your wearing shorts! yikes
Link to this postPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:54 pm    

Funny - I was thinking the same thing as Mr. Bombastic.... And I don't really need to know about the bait - honest! blush
MrBombastic
Link to this postPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:59 pm    

YoMO wrote:
Funny - I was thinking the same thing as Mr. Bombastic.... And I don't really need to know about the bait - honest! blush

Must have been "fly fishing".
saildoggie
Link to this postPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:04 pm    

Would you look at the choppers on that guy!!!

Nice one Walker, probably a fun fight on spinning gear unless you used the Warlock helicopter pole and conventiona rig!!
walker
Link to this postPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:18 pm    

saildoggie wrote:
Would you look at the choppers on that guy!!!

Nice one Walker, probably a fun fight on spinning gear unless you used the Warlock helicopter pole and conventiona rig!!

Nope - we fish with spinning gear from the beach. I use the Dave's heli rod when fishing off the government dock.

At first, I though I had a big-ass stingray. The sucker seemed unstoppable. I was really happy to finally drag it up on to the sand - about 20 minutes after it hit. This was around 1:00AM.
RumBa
Link to this postPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:29 am    

Nice fish Walker. What size tackle were you using?
walker
Link to this postPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:12 pm    

8' surfcaster (nothing fancy - a cheapie from BassPro), Shimano Spheros 14000 reel, 30# mono line, 80# steel leader, about an ounce of lead, 6/0 circle hook.
RumBa
Link to this postPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:06 pm    

judging by the teeth on that thing, I'd say the steel leader came in handy.......well done....
walker
Link to this postPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:59 pm    

We always use steel leader because we are REALLY fishing for sharks. The snapper was "by-catch". You have to rub the inside of a shark's mouth to really appreciate the razors that those guys pack.
RumBa
Link to this postPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:15 pm    

Would love to do some shark fishing with you over thanksgiving....looks like you guys will be out there around the same time. We're staying for a week (21-28 Nov.) at Neptune's, so looks like we'll finally get a chance to meet....looking forward to it Walker......
walker
Link to this postPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:31 pm    

You got it - I guarantee you some shark fishing. Really looking forward to it.
RumBa
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:31 am    

cool....I'll bring the rum...you bring the bait....
ScubaDrew
Link to this postPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:28 pm    

hell of a fish Walker!

Thanks for the great site.

Drew
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Tight Lines -> Fishing in General All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use