BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
BVI June/July '08 Trip report
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next, All  
Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Trip Reports -> British Virgin Islands
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndyW
Link to this postPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:09 am    

The old TTOL CE (aka political) forum is alive and well for better or probably worse at www.puddlepirates.com and has been since the day it was unceremoniously removed from TTOL. Just about all the old regulars that used to post on the old TTOL CE are still going at it there. Anyone is more than welcome to join the fray there and/or invite anyone else you might think might be interested in participating as well. You can pretty much say anything you want about ANY subject so it may not be for everybody but no one should take it too seriously any more than they should have when it was part of TTOL.

That being said I can fully understand why the old CE was removed from TTOL as TTOL really is first and foremost a travel board and political debates are probably better off being discussed elsewhere. Censoring honest trip reports and/or posts with useful travel information good or bad is a whole other ball game. I have gleaned a whole lot of good info from the participants at TTOL including many of the mods and would like continue to do so but if I ain't getting ALL the information warts and all then it's not much use.

Last edited by AndyW on Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:22 pm; edited 3 times in total
Link to this postPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:10 am    

Saildoggie - so sorry to hear of this awful incident! I cannot believe that someone would act in such a ridiculous manner. As everyone else has stated, kudos to you for handling the situation so well.
I definitely hope you and your family can put this behind you and enjoy many more vacations in the BVI.
Auspicious
Link to this postPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:14 pm    

charliemax wrote:
Just wanted to comment on the police response to this incident. I fully understand why the victim chose to stay on his boat - I probably would have done the same. But under these circumstances, I don't think you can or should expect the BVI police to arrange their own dinghy ride and then come looking for you in the mooring field.

I disagree. The BVI is an island nation. It is not unreasonable to expect a police boat on JVD, three or so on Tortola, and a couple on VG. You may think differently, but that is my opinion.
Link to this postPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:20 pm    

Is it a surprise to anyone that there has not been a post or anything from these 2 parties involved since their return?!?! I ran a search of the names and the only posts I saw come up were from before their "adventure."

If I were them, I would be BEYOND embarrassed after the situation to even attempt to go back to TTOL and write a trip report. But, these people are also beyond what I would consider normal if they spend however long in a beautiful setting such as the BVI staulking a fellow traveller for the specific reason of harrassing them and their families!
MrBombastic
Link to this postPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:33 pm    

Auspicious wrote:
I disagree. The BVI is an island nation. It is not unreasonable to expect a police boat on JVD, three or so on Tortola, and a couple on VG. You may think differently, but that is my opinion.

They certainly due have police boats. Why they didn't respond here I don't know. In March around Easter at Pirates Bight there was a disturbance and the Police showed up. It involved a 60' blue Uniesse (Navy Vessel from a neighboring island) anchored too close to Pirates dock. The owner asked the boat to move, he refused and the boat owner allegedly physically threatened the owner of Pirates. The police were there relatively quickly. Perhaps they are not as concerned about Tourist on Tourist incidents??? Who knows.
Link to this postPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:49 pm    

Quote:
They certainly due have police boats. Why they didn't respond here I don't know. In March around Easter at Pirates Bight there was a disturbance and the Police showed up. It involved a 60' blue Uniesse (Navy Vessel from a neighboring island) anchored too close to Pirates dock. The owner asked the boat to move, he refused and the boat owner allegedly physically threatened the owner of Pirates. The police were there relatively quickly. Perhaps they are not as concerned about Tourist on Tourist incidents??? Who knows

My guess would be that there is a police station and police on Jost so the thought would be they could handle the issue. So there really would not be a need for a police boat. But, they should have either gone out to the boat or at the very least had someone summon the people involved to shore.

Obviously there is no police presence on Norman, therefore the police boat responded.

That would be the only thing I could think of.
Link to this postPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:22 pm    

The incident for which the police were called occurred in CGB. If I were on a boat in CGB and called the police, I think I would expect to meet them at the dinghy dock by Quito's unless some other specific arrangement had been made.
Link to this postPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:25 pm    

Ok, CGB, my mistake. Same applies though. I agree an arrangement should have been made.
Link to this postPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:14 pm    

Quote:
Actually, I'd like to call out the witnesses as well as the other party. I don't know who any of the witnesses are, so maybe some have already responded

We were anchored at Great Harbour on that Sat and were not in any way invloved with the TTOL's - Saildoggies et al and witnessed the other 2 cats coming into Great Harbour at around 5pm at great speed and with lots a noise, obviously they had spent some time at the Soggy Dollar. While setting anchor the crew were buzzing around in dinghies between the 2 cats and my DH remarked that on how reckless they were behaving. We did not see the issue at Foxy's but were awaken by all the commotion when they returned to their boat, which we now understand was the harrasment of Dream Cat!

BTW Saildoggie I have a great pic of my DD & DH at White bay with Dream cat! Will post.
Link to this postPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:27 pm    

Those of us who have been around a few years know that TTOL is definitley not what it used to be and over the years certain members have clearly been discriminated against for discussing their opinions on certain matters concerning The BVI's. Hence, alot original TTOL Family Members have either left or post infrequently for all of the reasons mentioned.
walker
Link to this postPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:29 pm    

Maybe we can even get Herve to reappear....
Link to this postPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:41 pm    

That would be very 'special.'
If my memory serves me right, he was the first one to get dissed in a big major way.
Dmgators
Link to this postPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:46 pm    

Tortola_Lola wrote:
trip report to be posted on BVI Pirate ASAP.

Looking forward to it, Misti, mine is still in handwritten form.... Rolling Eyes
walker
Link to this postPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:53 pm    

I just sent Herve an email. It would be nice to get him back in the sandbox with us.
saildoggie
Link to this postPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:59 pm    

Appears this has run it's course, THREAD CLOSED! rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Trip Reports -> British Virgin Islands All times are CST (GMT - 6 Hours)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next, All
Page 6 of 8

Jump to:  

Terms of Use