BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
BVI June/July '08 Trip report
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next, All  
Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Trip Reports -> British Virgin Islands
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Link to this postPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:51 am    

I am glad that I was able to read about this incident. I was relating it to my husband and it gave us a chance to talk about what would we have done - and better yet - what would we do in a situation like this. Everytime you get a chance to talk about what could go wrong you get a chance to plan about how to handle that situation.

I applaud Mark for his handling of the situation. Sad times indeed when people feel the need to be less than civil, especially on vacation.
Link to this postPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:11 am    

I think you have to keep in mind that no forum is a "be-all". TTOL has been a valuable tool for me for years. If not for it, I may have never even come to the BVI, never got involved in cruising, and most of the people I know in the BVI I met there - JD, Bill Hartzman, saildoggie! But, as Walker said, it IS a commercial site, and the owners can do as they want. When taking advice there you must keep that in mind. Walker's site treats touchy matters differently, and as such is a great tool for travel planning as well. Knowing Mark, I very much wanted to know ALL the details. I know what his personality is like, and wanted to see what kind of morons would do this kind of stuff - I too will be back next year, and found it interesting to see what the local response was to an emergency call from a boat - I would most likely have done the same in Mark's situation, but now know to handle it differently should the need arise. Thank's Walker for keeping things open so we can plan for ANY possibilities.
Link to this postPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:23 am    

First off, WOW! I missed this thread across on the other side of the pond. I can't beleieve any one acted as theses guys did. Just unreal. I am so sorry your vacation and birthday was marred by such child like behavior.

Again, sorry if I have not seen all the other threads but am I reading this right that the "perps", meaning the guys who threw punches, are posters on TTOL? Have they posted about this?

saildoggie wrote:
OK, first the perps:

MTBVI and Paradisebound TTOL screen names, coin on in, let's hear your side!! Dancing

. Exclamation

And finally, Saildoggie, you get the award for restraint. I am not sure I could have acted the part of the resposible adult as you did. Kudos![
Link to this postPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:48 am    

I appreciate this forum allowing this story to be told. We leave for paradise in two weeks. This was discussed last night in our group, pre-trip meeting. I am sure that if, god forbid, we run into this situation, we will be better prepared to deal with it.....I just don't understand why adults would waste their whole vacation harassing a family because of something as silly as a restaurant reservation!
Link to this postPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:55 am    

Just wanted to comment on the police response to this incident. I fully understand why the victim chose to stay on his boat - I probably would have done the same. But under these circumstances, I don't think you can or should expect the BVI police to arrange their own dinghy ride and then come looking for you in the mooring field.
MrBombastic
Link to this postPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:22 am    

WildMeridian wrote:
Oh, my...20/20 hindsight can be a wonderful thing...this from one of the perps while he was planning the charter:

Quote:
all we will need is a COOL room with a Bed. Next day getting provisions, giving some first timers a bit of a tour, start the party again then the next morning on the boat.

This from the other one:

Quote:
I figure the captain probably already has the must sees in mind, and that we might should just go with the flow (after all, none of us have ever been to BVI)

And this, sheesh:

Quote:
would say that our group likes to have fun. We're not spring breakers either, and we're in our 30's, but I wouldn't be surprised if our group, relative to other BVI'ers, may be classified as above average when it comes to indulging in cocktails (reminder, our kids are staying home).

ahem.

best,

Chuck

I think these threads have been deleted. Saw them yesterday, gone today. Hmmm.....
Dmgators
Link to this postPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:00 am    

They are still there...
Link to this postPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:02 am    

Saildoggie,
Gigantic Kudos-+ to you on how you handled the situations.

There are a handful of posters on TTOL from whom, over the years, many of us have been freely benefiting from picking their virtual brains on where to go, what to do and where to eat, when we visit the BVI's.

GlennA, Big Jim, you and of course Walker are a few of the “elder statesmen” who have provided valuable info that made our short stays in the BVI’s more enjoyable. For those of us who only get to go sailing every few years your inputs allow us to get more value for our dollars during our short visits

Ever since TTOL closed down the political forum (damn that was a fun place!) there has been an ever increasing heavy handedness in how they handle topics that are only slightly controversial. As others have mentioned there is a not too subtle bias in what they don’t allow and an inconsistency between forums.

The fact that you were restricted in what you could post drove me over here this AM to find out what the heck was happening. I was pleasantly surprised to see the up tick in postings on BVI Pirate.

I think that something good has come out of your TTOL posting hell. It has pointed us to an alternative site that over time can be every bit as informative but with the added spice of not having moderation that smacks of censorship.

Walker, kudos to you for allowing us to behave and misbehave here.

My daily PC routine will now include visiting BVIPirate.com instead of only TTOL
Link to this postPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:10 am    

So what are the names (Subject lines) of those posts that the quotes from the othe TTOLers involved were taken from? I'm curious and would like to read the whole threads.

Thanks
Twanger
Link to this postPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:32 am    

This thread reminds me of how important it is to document problems such as this.
A video or photo of the incident would go a long way if it came to needing it.
Given how much we love documenting our trips with photographs, a camera or video camera is usually close at hand.
MrBombastic
Link to this postPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:00 pm    

WildMeridian wrote:
Oh, my...20/20 hindsight can be a wonderful thing...this from one of the perps while he was planning the charter:

Chuck, you left this one out -

Quote:
After the charter we are booked for two nights Marina Cay. I am sure we will run into you as we get on the boat on the 28.... Regards.......
Link to this postPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:02 pm    

SailDoggie,

Glad to see the 'true' report posted. Thanks Walker for allowing this.

My feelings on TTOL censorship mirror most of those voiced here. Still can't believe SHEEPLES is a no-no. I hadn't posted our June trip report on TTOL because hubby wrote it and used SHEEPLES. He thought the term was perfect. Now that I know it's not a no-no here, trip report to be posted on BVI Pirate ASAP.

Hope you're feeling better Saildoggie and hope the girls overcome their fears.

Tortola Lola

Thanks to twanger and heatherlovesjvd for jumping in here. As I mentioned, no disrespect to Mark, but it's always good to hear from others involved. Hat's off to Mark. Start making plans with your family for your next BVI visit. Get 'em back on the horse ASAP! Looking forward to any information regarding a response from CatCo or the BVI authorities.

Thanks,
Jeff

Last edited by Guest on Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

CarrieO - you can do a search using the screen name. Leave the "keyword search terms" blank and use the "username search" below it. Make sure you change your date range...if you go back 1 year you will find them.
H Man
Link to this postPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject:  'Doggie, glad you're OK

And thanks, Walker, for keeping the information flowing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Trip Reports -> British Virgin Islands All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next, All
Page 5 of 8

Jump to:  

Terms of Use