BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
BVI June/July '08 Trip report
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next, All  
Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Trip Reports -> British Virgin Islands
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:33 pm    

Regarding TTOL's 50 post limit, I believe they've said it's so people with slow internet connections don't have to deal with long page load times. This doesn't make any sense considering the ability to set the number of posts per page and is ironic considering the origin of TTOL from the ashes of the original TravelTalk. I think they just like having rules that they can enforce -- more irony, considering that one of the things I really like about the BVI is that there aren't a lot of unnecessary rules.

Apart from immoderate moderation, my main beef with TTOL has been their displaying posters' IP addresses, which can have very real privacy and security implications, and just isn't done by legitimate websites. I've explained the issue to the owners and "moderators" several times, but they won't budge. In my own way of protesting, I've chosen to mostly post anonymously on TTOL, but I'm sure the "moderators" have come to know my posts by my IP address.

I look forward to participating in this open and in all likelihood more informative forum. Thanks, Walker, for providing it.
saildoggie
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:59 pm    

Just to set the record straight, my original post on TTOL did not mention any names or boat names, it was the content describing criminal behavior they rejected.
Check TTOL's SXM board, loaded with stories of robberies, assaults, you name it, it flys there but noot in tyhe BVI section as shown by Hillsideview.

The report and statement that was emailed to a few TTOL that I trust included the names, they were instructed to keep them under their hat as I will continue to do.

I want no further violence and do not want any reprecussions when I return to the islands.

Maybe it was agood omen that the Police did not show up, this is a violent individual and I would fear future attacks, a non violent soultion is being worked on.

Wonder if I can get a permit to carry a stun gun in the BVI's? Shocked

Seriously, I appreciate everyone's support and am trying to put this incident behind me, it was simply a very nasty bump in our vacation.

We continued to have a great trip despite the actions of a big pack of coward idiots. (The drunken Dipsticks)

My wife and daughter are having a much more difficult time putting this behind them,I am trying to get their comfort level with the ilons back right now.
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:13 pm    

Mark,

The best thing to do to help them put this behind them is get them back down there. I HATE that this is what they took away from the trip. I totally understand, though.

What about bringing them down when you go in November? Probaby difficult with school, but they might even enjoy a land based vacation while you did the boat thing.

-Emily
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:16 pm    

I say bring the big dog next time - you can bring my two as well - 3 large dogs would do wonders for a group of drunken dipsticks.

So sorry that happened. It was nice to meet you, albiet very briefly, at Leverick Bay on the 2nd. We've vowed next time to go a cat as the monohull - well, just not quite roomy enough. Guess our decision to go to White Bay that night was a good one...I REALLY dislike when things get out of hand like that.
STEWART
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:22 pm    

What a dam nightmare, glad to hear that most of the trip was enjoyed. There is no telling what may have happened to you if you had not gotten off their boat fast enough. They seemed to have been fueling each other on. I cant believe they were stupid enough to come over to your boat and bang on the hull at three A.M.
Their lucky you didn't put a flare in their dink.
MrBombastic
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:40 pm    

Saildoggie,

On a different subject, that kite camera was really neat. Did you buy this or build it??? Could you take multiple pictures? Been trying to find some info on this but not having a ton of luck. Anything you could share would be great! cheers
MrBombastic
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:45 pm    

HillsideView wrote:
Hey Saildoggie....check this out...you type in SHEEPLE and [censored] doesn't appear! Gotta like that!

Whoa!!!! Check this out:

Link to this postPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:46 pm    

I'm so sorry to hear about your situation Saildoggie! It's sad when something like this happens in such a beautiful location....but these things do happen and turning your back on them or not being able to post the full story isn't really fair. I hope your wife and daughter can embrace BVI again without fear.

I had a similar, less invasive experience on our first charter this past Feb. We are usually land based and took the leap to a charter. We did use CatCo and were extremely happy. Our situation occurred on the Willy T on our first night out on the water. We were approached by some drunk men as we came up onto the dinghy dock. They got right into my brother and my father's face verbally assaulting them. All the dinghies were tied so tighly to the dock that we had to crawl over 2 dinghies to get onto the dock to tie off. These men did not like that we had to skip from our dinghy to theirs onto the dock and they came down in a stupor to yell at us about it. Mind you their dinghy was tied up so tight it was pratically lifted onto the dock! I got between the drunk stranger and my brother before the drunk threw fists. It wasn't exactly the best way to start the vacation, but since ours was less drastic of an encounter as yours, we were able to move past it. It does sound like you still made the best of your situation when not being hunted down by a bunch of hoodlums!

Also, as a side note, I believe it was Sea Dream (a Moorings charter boat) that we had problems with the Captain when moored in front of Ivans. They came roaring into the packed mooring area and proceded to drop anchor just off of us...a little too close for comfort! He gave us the stink eye as we watched his boat swing at us on the mooring. He pulled anchor and roared out shortly after. Of course it might just be a coincidence that it's the same boat, but worth mentioning!

Again, I am so sorry to hear about your situation. I read your first report on TTOL and felt I was missing some inside story with the edited version. Its easier to understand with the full version and sad to know it was edited. There is no reason you can't put forth the good and bad of the trip. You aren't a new or anon poster so I can't see what the issue was.
Crying or Very sad
HillsideView
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:59 pm    

Wow, this is really amazing. An INTELLIGENT conversation being carried on by adults (I think Rolling Eyes ) and no need for a moderator to come in to control the flock!! Anyone get the feeling that maybe,just maybe, the reaction/interaction of TTOL moderators would help a thread spiral downhill?
This is really cool. People actually saying what they think. What a great idea!!!
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:01 pm    

One of the scary parts of this is that you're in a damned-if-you-do/damned-if you-don't situation. In the US I would have some idea how to handle the situation, know generally what the laws are related to self-defense, and have an idea of what resources I have available to me if things escalate. Down there I would have no idea what to do in a situation like that. If you defend yourself you may be opening yourself (and your family) to legal troubles, further injury and ruining the vacation. If you don't defend yourself then you are opening yourself up to further harassment (if your on a similar itinerary then the chance of running into them again is quite high) or having to completely change your plans in the face of threats.

I can understand TTOL not wanting this fought out on their board (if it would even get that far) but there are several issues related to this that are very important for those interested in the BVIs. Being harassed by drunks isn't endemic to the BVIs (it's happened to me more than once in the US.) That can happen anywhere and isn't particularly relevant to BVI travel. What is relevant for those going to the BVIs is that the police failed to respond. Given that failed response how one should handle this situation given the jurisdiction of an unfamiliar legal system (and one where a local might have 'friends' in the system) is also relevant.
Auspicious
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:27 pm    

Objectively, I can understand a board administration wanting to avoid a fight on the board.

Personally, I'd like to hear the other side of the story. I'd also like to know the other party since - if SD's story is even 50% accurate (no disrespect, just recognizing that there are always two sides) I would take any post by the other party with a huge grain of salt.
saildoggie
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:44 pm    

Call them out on TTOL!!

Send them over here, I cannot, Carol would ban me for life!!

I have the screen names but cannot give them to you either.

I am sure the TTOL mods are monitoring this thread as well! Rolling Eyes

Call them out on a post to check in here, no worries, I have over 20 witnesses to the whole thing!! Laughing
Auspicious
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:48 pm    

saildoggie wrote:
Call them out on TTOL!!

Send them over here, I cannot, Carol would ban me for life!!

I have the screen names but cannot give them to you either.

I am sure the TTOL mods are monitoring this thread as well! Rolling Eyes

Call them out on a post to check in here, no worries, I have over 20 witnesses to the whole thing!! Laughing

You can do whatever you like. It is up to you to decide what you *will* do.

Your choice, not mine.

sail fast, dave
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:40 pm    

So I just went over to TTOL for my daily fix only to see that the original post that I clicked on to get to this sight is gone.....or am I just blind??? Rolling Eyes
walker
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:45 pm    

The post is still there - you probably just missed it. It is Link to REAL trip report! in the BVI People Talk section.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Trip Reports -> British Virgin Islands All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next, All
Page 3 of 8

Jump to:  

Terms of Use