BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
BVI June/July '08 Trip report
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next, All  
Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Trip Reports -> British Virgin Islands
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saildoggie
Link to this postPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:31 pm    

Thanks for the support everyone!
Just an update, i recieved an email from Capt. Jerk's Employer, they have made some decisions and will be in contact with me from their main office shortly, I hope as soon as tomorrow.

Sounds as if they may take some actin against Capt. Jerk, I suggested he never cpatain a boat again and should be blackballed from all charter companies, he is dangerous to his guests and everyone around him!!

Anger management classes and AA meetings should be the minimum required for him, all documented and at least 6 months of intense attendance.,he may have avoided jail on this one, possibly the Police knew him and that is why they did not respond.

I really do not want to be looking over my shoulder on my next visit, this guy is dangerous!

Got a message also from Puau, the Manager at Foxy's, Paul is a good guy, it reads as follows;

Wow!!
I talked to the French kid that night and he seemed cool, and even told me that the strangest part was not only were there two groups of 28-30, but they had a 50th birthday on their boat (Dream Catcher) as well. He didn't try to weasel any drinks, or any thing like that, in fact he and the other fellow with him seemed very cool about the whole situation, and were quite satisfied with their experience at Corsair's.

I don't know who the skipper who assaulted you was, but I assume he was on Sea Dream, because I recieved this in an email from a friend of mine at cat Charters:

"On a completely different subject, I believe some of our bareboat guests could have been involved in an altercation at Foxy's a few days ago. We're receiving reports of an argument and possible assault, due to a mix up of boat names for dinner reservations at Foxy's.

I believe our vessel was Sea Dream and the other side of the argument was part of the current TTOL Flotilla group? Can you confirm any of this?

Sea Dream is on Bareboat charter as normal and the local skipper on there was not hired by Catamaran Charters, but directly from the guest who used an outside broker for the booking and therefore didn't directly book with us. Obviously this skipper and the group are responsible for their own actions and Catamaran Charters can be held in no way responsible for them, but we obviously need to clear this up. If they are being a danger to the vessel and themselves then we can recall them and stick them on the dock. If they are being overly rowdy and abnoxious this is a Police matter and those involved in the alleged assault need to press charges against them."

I replied saying:

The incident here involved JP(?, French Skipper) on Dream Catcher, in a flotilla with two other boats, and the TTOL flotilla boat Dream Cat, who both made a reservation for “28 possibly 1 or 2 more”

I was given the Dream Catcher reservation by one of my kitchen staff. I took the Dream Cat reservation over the radio and then went to their boat and asked if someone had already reserved. He said it was likely, because there were 3 boats involved.

I assumed it was only one party of 28, and since there are so many “Dream Catchers” floating around, the reservation was just taken wrong.

Dream cat came in and had the barbecue, Dream Catcher showed up later, and I simply did not have enough Barbecue to serve them.

While it was my mistake, there was a minor verbal altercation between one of their guests and the captian from the TTOL flotilla boat, there may have been a threat or two, but no violence that I saw or was reported to me.

I got them reservations elsewhere, and spoke with two of their Skippers later on that night, and there seemed to be no problem."

Then a few days ago, I ran into Rex, who, (taking a brief time out from talking about Rex, heh heh) told me the basics of the story.

I meant to get up with you sooner, and would have if I had realized the extent and gravity of the situation.

I truely appoligize that my mistake was the cataylist that these [censored] needed to show their true colors. I would like to get the name of the skipper, because that kind of conduct is unacceptable and unexcuseable. Especially the terrorizing of your wife and children.

I will get the name out there. I have a friend or two in the charter industry.

Ok, on a lighter note, I am re-editing because I wrote A$$holes, and as you can see it was censored.

So I went back and wrote "even my f****** c***s****** s*** a** PM's get censored on this site.

When I went to submit it, the whole PM came up blank. I had to back page the site and change it. What a goof!!

Hope to see ya during the Catfight.

Paul
Link to this postPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:06 pm    

It's a shame this happened to you. I hadn't really got the gist of what happened until I read the last few postings. Now I see what happened, an odd coincidence you did not contribute to.

It's weird that someone would decide to make one minor incident with a reservation the focus of their whole vacation. I don't mean you of course, I mean them. I can't see a rational person spending thousands of dollars on a trip and then not being able to get past something like this, one change of venue for dinner. I guess you have to call ti "vacation rage".

It's also unfortunate that that other forum does not really permit bad news. People need to know the good and bad they may face. The BVI is a great place but clearly some things happen that aren't great sometimes.

On my own recent vacation, my underage daughter was the target of some really obscene gestures (when I was not nearby) by a (I am fairly certain) crewman on the Anegada ferry "Sterling", which I unfortunately did not learn until we got back to our villa so had no chance to do anything about. I thought I should tell someone that this sort of thing can happen (not to mention the fact that another crewman ran a 6 pack of Heineken up to the pilot house) but whom? One might say something like that on a travel forum for the next guy to consider, but not on TTOL I'm sure.

I understand they don't want neverending flame wars and negativity over there, and that's a real risk in these forums. But there's a difference between merely avoiding that and being the mayor in "Jaws".
Link to this postPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:00 pm    

Hey Mark,

WOW really sorry to hear about such an unpleasant experience while you were sailing in Paradise!

And thanks to Walker for posting details that were banned elsewhere.

We've been thru a similar experience down-island, and I know what you were going thru...

If the perps were from USA I'm amazed that you are not pursuing this further...

best,

Chuck
HillsideView
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:07 am    

What I found really odd on TTOL, I did a search of the word "assault" in the SXM Forums and there were several postings relating personal experiences of people being assaulted and robbed and these threads were allowed to run the full 50! Seems to be a different standard for BVI Forum. I really appreciate Walker having a true "open forum".
Portraying the BVI's as all sunshine and smiles is a real disservice to the uninitated. Things can and do happen here, and if you are aware of who/what/when/where, you can plan accordingly.
Thanks Walker.
walker
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:23 am    

You know, maybe it is just me, but that artificial 50 count limit on postings seems absurd. What the hell is the point of that? It sure helps me keep a thread in context if I can browse back and forth through it.

And the moderators seem to be spring-loaded to see who can be first to put the 50-post lid on a thread. Geez, like they have absolutely nothing better to do. Do they get to notch their mice or something when they lock a thread?

I am a member of quite a few forums, and TTOL is the only one with a limit on posts per thread. One of the forums that I am a member of very often has threads that run into hundreds of posts. WTF with TTOL?

It really seems bizarre - silly moderation and censorship, limits on thread postings, but they allow anonymous posting. Can anyone tell me why allowing anon postings is a good thing?

I do enjoy TTOL but am often annoyed by it as well. The annoyance is probably mutual. I don't post very often there any more. When I do, it is usually to give info that I figure no one else has or to make a correction to bad info. Regardless of the forum, I don't want people to believe what they read just because they see it posted - many times posted by an anonymous poster...
HillsideView
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:35 am    

Have to agree with anon posting. Usually the anon poster is either hyping something or taking a pot shot at a business or person. Sometimes there are legit questions asked by anon, as I once was, but when I decided to post info and opinions, I 'came out of the closet" and registered. Probably should have in the first place!
Figure if something is worth saying, you may as well put your "mark' on it, or don't bother saying it.
Also suspect PM's aren't really "private" either!
Auspicious
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:09 am    

I suspect the 50 post limit derives from the board software that doesn't seem to break long threads into pages. Didn't Eric write the board software?
walker
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:47 am    

I hate to get into a tutorial on using another board - but, yes, TTOL does support breaking a thread into pages. You just go to your "My Home" page, click on the "Edit" link by Display Preferences, then set the number of posts per page in the line that says "Total posts to show on one page when viewing a post in flat mode (default is 10)".

Here on BVIPirate.com, you click the "Profile" button. When the "Your Profile" page appears, click the "Profile" tab at the top. When the next page appears, click the "Profile Settings" link on the left side of the panel. Then under "Profile Settings", click on "Reading". You can then change the posts per page. The default setting is 20.

The software on BVIPirate has many, many options, which you will discover by browsing through your Profile.
Auspicious
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:22 am    

Walker wrote:
The software on BVIPirate has many, many options, which you will discover by browsing through your Profile.

I'm very familiar with phpBB as you use here.

I must have set some really big number on TTOL when I signed up sixish years ago.

Anyway, on topic, the trip report is interesting and confirms my belief that staying away from people is usually a good thing.

sail fast, dave
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:20 am    

The TTOL thread about Saildoggie's modified trip report just got closed down by a mod when someone asked why his original trip report was not acceptable to the mods, etc. Mod replied that blah, blah and finally said the thread was closed because questioning the mods (or something like that) was against policy.

As a joke, I started a new thread titled "There goes another one..." and remarked about how another thread was slammed shut. Joked there would be 5 views, 1 reply, and then it would get slammed shut. I was wrong. 7 views, no reply, and thread completely removed. All took about 2 minutes.

Like someone earlier said, don't those mods have anything else better to do that read and censor every last detail on that board constantly 24 hours a day?? Good lord...
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:33 am    

Yup that was mine that got locked down. I guess I am on the naughty mat. Oh well!
louismcc
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:01 am    

I'm glad his report got posted over here and am more than a bit concerned about the behavior that he experienced while in the BVI. Generally my only fear of drunks during my dozen trips to the BVI was someone taking my dinghy by mistake or just being too loud at night. Physical assualt and not being able to get a police response is a concern to me that if it were to become more frequent, would have me going elsewhere on vacation.

As far as the TTOL board, their moderators are more than a bit touchy when anyone says anything that remotely questions their moderating decisions. They quickly throw out the "not in accordance with AUP" and threads are locked or deleted. There is also very much a double standard getting applied to what is or is not off topic or unacceptable postings. The board has suffered over the past couple of years as a result but I guess if their ad revenue stays up, they're happy.

I found their decision concerning the censoring of the word sheeple to be downright silly.
walker
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:08 am    

This just about sums it up - direct quotes from the TTOL administrator as she locked the thread:

Quote:
"What I do know is that this forum is not the place to get at the truth of what happened."

And
Quote:
"a travel forum is not the place for the truth to be discerned."

What more can I say. The policies between there and here definitely differ.
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:37 am    

Yeah, I didn't quite get it, either. Mark and I emailed about the incident and I got the full version of the trip report (names included). I assumed they were looking at it from a legal standpoint and not wanting TTOL to be the vehicle for legal and/or criminal documentation of an event that had nothing to do with TTOL. I thought that was a stretch, but I'm not a lawyer, so whatever. But Carol's reason for closing it makes no sense. They didn't delete the random negative review about Brandywine. To me, this is similar if they are looking at it from a "discerning the truth" standpoint.

Mark, if you had taken out boat names, and people's names, would they have let you post it? Just curious.

Oh well...guess we're free to keep visiting or find somewhere else instead!
Dugg
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:07 pm    

Hi

Having read both of saildoggie’s posts about his recent experiences - both good and bad - so much for the “one big happy family” concept, as described by the moderator after saildoggie's ‘modified’ post. This sad story (with names omitted on both boards) makes me happy to remain land based - although the trend toward catamarans pretty much prices us out of the market. In the end, sanitizing the issue can end up reducing much of the input on the “other board” to so much “happy talk” (and not the “Tales of the South Pacific” kind either).

We’ve never had a thread closed on us (but we came close a couple of times for reviving the MSD issue). As I see it, trip reports hopefully attempt to present the truth, which is quite different from backseat driver speculation, e.g. about a recent boast sinking that went on and on (and didn’t get cut off). I notice that the moderator locked the topic (starting with saildoggie’s post) after several moderate criticisms. Hence, I’m posting here. If I had gotten a chance to reply (much as the above), I’d just be waiting for the guillotene to fall.

BTW, I posted a second half of a land-based trip report on Tortola and St. John on an USVI board, as the first part evinced no interest on TTOL. The USVI forum on TTOL appears to be almost moribund and there seems to be no interest in the USVI here either.

Just my $0.015 (due to value of the U. S. Dollar).

Peace
Dugg and Chris
http://picasaweb.google.com/papadugg/
Note : Finally got the ‘96, ‘97, ‘98, ‘02 and ‘04 pics posted
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Trip Reports -> British Virgin Islands All times are CST (GMT - 6 Hours)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next, All
Page 2 of 8

Jump to:  

Terms of Use