BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
the worst...aka never do's

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Restaurants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Herve
Link to this postPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:51 pm    Post subject:  the worst...aka never do's

Worst meal ever: Saba Rock
Worst Bushwacker: Cooper Island (they don't blend it)
walker
Link to this postPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 7:52 pm    Post subject:  Another never-do

Our worst meal ever in the BVI (and maybe the worst ever anywhere) was at Ali Baba's, Great Harbor, Jost Van Dyke.
Link to this postPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:06 pm    Post subject: Fight Skip the fish & chips but drink the beer

At Saba Rock Wednesday night June 16th. We had six in our group. 2 couples split orders of pork burgers & no problem. Chris & I split the "fish & chips" and feed the fish all Thursday until 6 pm Embarassed . Very fun bar, and despite being ill would go back for traditional bar drinks or just the Caribs. Entertaining barmaids. Bitter End is a little too uppity by comparison and this is a good alternate evening stop when in the area.
walker
Link to this postPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:38 pm    

I feel for you on the "fed the fish" thing. We have had a bout or two of food poisoning in the islands, but never from fish. We are VERY wary of chicken, though.
Link to this postPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:51 am    

We had a great lunch at Saba Rock, coming back from Anegada. Might be the best Bacon-Bleu-Cheese burger I've ever had anywhere! But you have to like LOTS of tangy bleu cheese.
Dan O
Tortolian
Link to this postPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:05 am    

I totally agree with the Saba Rock thing. Every meal I've ever had there has been pretty lousy(not my choice to go back more than once). But it *is* possible to get good, casual food in North Sound. The Fat Virgin seems to be always good, and the staff are lovely.
Link to this postPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:01 pm    

I agree with the Fat Virgins, always have had great meals there.

Loonie
Link to this postPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:56 am    

Can't say I've ever had an inedible meal anywhere in the BVI's but the best dollar for value meals have to be at the Rock CAfe on Virgin Gorda and the worst dollar for value meals at Biras creek (somehow expensive french food and expensive wines doesn't seem right).
Link to this postPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject:  Feeding the fish

My son-in-law and I both had barbequed chicken at Quito's March 2007. We became violently ill overnight, lasting some 8 hours. Yes, watch out for chicken!
walker
Link to this postPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:08 pm    

You were lucky to recover in only 8 hours. You must be young!

Our bout of food poisoning put us in the can for a day and a half. The thing that got us back to life was ginger beer. Amazing stuff for a stomach that does not want anything.
Link to this postPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject:  least favorite

We did not have any chicken, except to want to remove some from crowing at 4 am, My least favorite meal was on cooper island, not bad just un-good. no fishes were fed second hand but they may have gotten the leftovers.
Link to this postPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:51 pm    

My worst meal was this past Feb at Pirates on Norman Island. I had ordered the herb chicken and unlike everyone else has said thus far....mine was cooked so much that it could have broke plaster if you threw it at the wall. sick It was so dry it was almost to the point that it couldn't be swallowed! I half expected it to break open with a ploof of steam to come out of it and then shrivel up it was so dry! (Think National Lampoons Christmas Vacation turkey!). Everyone else seemed to have a good meal, mine just left A LOT to be desired! hairy

I also had a very iffy meal on CGB at Big Banana?? (I think that was the name or something alone that lines.) I don't exactly recall what it was I "tried" to eat since it was in 2003, but I do know it has been etched in my mind enough to not want to return there for another meal.

Best meals thus far: Quitos (2003), Top of the Baths amazing jerk chicken sandwich, Fat Virgin ribs, The Rock's lobster pasta, Leverick Bay Fri Nite BBQ.
HillsideView
Link to this postPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:24 pm    

Big Banana is the right name. Breakfast is usually a good bet, but I've crossed it off the list for dinner for 2 reasons: some of the meals were a bit iffy, but the menu hasn't changed in a loooooooong time. And my real pet peeve, try to find a piece of bread on Pasta night!
Link to this postPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject: Note Worst - Best Food

Just finished 10 days sailing in BVI's. Agree that Saba Rock is only good for drinks and that Biras Creek is way overpriced.

Our best meal was local fish at Harris's Place on Jost - very good as were the Bushwackers. Cynithia was quite a character also - made the outdoor meal quite entertaining. Some of our party had the chicken there - no feed the fish problems.
HillsideView
Link to this postPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:10 pm    

Little update here Big Banana still hasn't changed the menu, but.... the food was fine and the service generally good. They make decent salads and the kids thought the pizza was pretty good for "island pizza".
Rhymer's still the #1 breakfast and lunch value in CGB. Stanleys is a good deal too.
Had an excellent dinner at Sebastians also. Guy at the next table was raving over the surf and turf he was served and the wine. In fact, his bill for 1 person was close to $150, he obviously enjoyed himself.
Jolly Roger has not disappointed me yet. Always good food and service. I think it really helps on the service end to make a reservation. Seems to put them in a better mood when you arrive.
Soggy Dollar has a good lunch menu, no complaints there either!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Restaurants All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use