BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Peter island offbeat anchorages

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Live Cruising Guide -> Peter Island, BVI
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Link to this postPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:15 pm    Post subject: Question Peter island offbeat anchorages

Walker or Herve, (or anyone else)
We're looking at going to some different spots on peter this trip and we haven't been over to the south side yet. Please take a look at the attached pic and give me your expert opinions on the ones I've marked. Now I know it would depend on the swells and I also know there are no services on that side. Here's my take:

Anchorage A looks like it might be a little tight.
B looks good as I've seen pics of boats there (on the BVI Calender for March!)
C is unknown to me.
D, White bay seems to be somewhat popular too.

I would value your opinions as I'm still working on a soft intenerary.

Thanks guys Smile

walker
Link to this postPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:53 am    

We have never stopped anywhere on the south side of Peter Island for one big reason -- there are no restaurants there, and we did not have Davide aboard.

However, we have sailed right past there numerous times, and my recollection is that there are always pretty substantial gound swells running there. Enough so that an overnight anchorage would likely be very uncomfortable, if not downright unsafe.

Of the places that you have marked, I think that "D" would probably have the best chance of being tenable because the swells will be attenuated somewhat by the island.

The locale sort of reminds me of Cooper Island at Leeward Haulover Bay (N18 22.523 W64 30.578). We have dinghied into there many times from Manchioneel Bay, and I can tell you for certain that the swells are always large enough that you could not safely anchor there overnight.

If you want to give the south side of Peter Island a try, though, it is not out of the way to go there in the morning on your way to or from Norman Island. If it doesn't look doable, you are simply on your way to somewhere else. It could turn out great....
Herve
Link to this postPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:35 am    

Rick,

white Bay is obviously fine (D) watch for swells creeping in.
You can also try South bay which is not on your map.

The anchorage between Rogers pt and Key Cay is tight and depending on the swells may be untenable.
Link to this postPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:56 am    

Thanks Guys,
I will do a "sail by" and check the area out. We've been lucky so far during our past charters in the month of May as the ground swell has been fairly non-existant. Maybe we'll stop just for a lunch hook.
I'll certainly be very careful as I don't want to bend Mike's new boat!
Herve
Link to this postPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:57 pm    

rick,

If you like that kind of places you gotta check the coves on the south coast of St john....Lemeshur bays and the 2 bays between Cabrithorn and Kittle pts.
Pure clear water not a soul and free moorings !!!!!
Link to this postPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:22 pm    

Thanks Herve! I'll take a look! This year the crew wants a little of everything, so I wanted to try and spend at least 1 night in a remote anchorage, the rest of the trip is bars, music, painkillers...did I mention painkillers!!! Other then my wife and I, the rest of the crew have never been to the islands.
Thanks again for the info!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Live Cruising Guide -> Peter Island, BVI All times are CST (GMT - 6 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use