BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Anegada Anchorage

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Live Cruising Guide -> Anegada, BVI
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Link to this postPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Cool Anegada Anchorage

I'm chartering a Moorings 51.5 monohull in April. this will be my first time making Anegada trip. My draft is approx 6ft will I be able to anchor
walker
Link to this postPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:19 pm    

Yes - you will be able to anchor. I suggest that you study my Navigating to Anegada web page and take along a copy of my Anegada Approach Chart.
Link to this postPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:52 pm    

Thanks a million Walker. I have studied your material and have ordered your chart. It just looked a little shallow from chart!!!!!!! Do I need to fore and aft anchor. Your info is real appreciated
walker
Link to this postPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:18 am    

No need for fore and aft anchors. Anegada has about the best holding bottom in all of the BVI. You will be in less than 8 feet of water with a bottom of deep mud that really takes an anchor well.

By the way, fore and aft anchoring is not done in any of the anchorages in the BVI. If you feel that you need a second anchor, you set it off the bow at about 45 degrees to the side of your primary anchor. Your boat must have the ability to swing with wind direction changes in the same manner as other boats in the anchorage. Otherwise a problem will result if there is a strong wind shift.

Last edited by walker on Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Link to this postPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:43 am    

Once again thanks a million I really appreciate your answer. You are fantastic
fuplayer
Link to this postPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:34 am    

Is there a preferred place to anchor at Setting Pt. outside the mooring field? I will be there in early August for a few days and don't want to pay the mooring fees.
walker
Link to this postPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:02 am    

Anywhere to the southeast of the mooring balls is OK.
Capndar
Link to this postPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:33 am    Post subject: Note approach plate

Approach plate has arrived in the mail - looks great - thanks

A couple of questions...Looking at your buoy positions...I assume the red/green circle is not an actual buoy, just a GPS fix? Also, the transparent red buoy - I assume that is where a buoy should be but is missing?

Again - this looks like a great nav aid

also - is there a good aerial photo of the anchorage itself anywhere?

Capndar
walker
Link to this postPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:29 pm    

You are correct - the red/green circle is not a buoy. It is an approach waypoint that you can safely navigate to directly form the North Sound of Virgin Gorda. I would not recommend going directly to the channel entrance from North Sound.

The transparent red buoy is where a buoy was stationed, but it has been gone now for 7 years.

Here are some of my aerial photos of the anchorage:

Capndar
Link to this postPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:45 am    

GREAT - exactly what I was hoping for
Link to this postPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:30 am    Post subject: Shame Anegada Anchorage

Last year i ran aground (amud really) in front of Neptunes with a 44' monohull. i passed in front of Neptunes and headed SE ever so slightly b4 turning back up wind to catch a ball. i was just outside of the mooring field as i came from downwind to crosswind. Long story getting free but eventually got on the ball (literally and figuratively). Even when moored there was only a few inches below my keel - in fact the swinging of the boat was creating a pocket in the bottom to accomodate the keel. I would say if you draw in the 6' range and what tide there is happens to be out - proceed with caution.
Link to this postPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:31 am    Post subject: Note pics

PS - great pics Walker - thanks. Be in Anegada the 1st week of March
Capndar
Link to this postPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:12 am    

JMON

good info....any chance you coul mark that spot on a map or photo?
walker
Link to this postPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:52 am    

I am pretty certain the spot the he went aground was at N18 43.20 W64 23.25. It is the spot that I call the "speed bump" in the anchorage area. It is a mound on the bottom with less than 5 feet of water.

It is clearly shown on my Anegada Approach Chart.
Link to this postPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:46 am    Post subject: Question Mooring field(s) clarification

Hi Walker -

Last time I was at Anegada I had a 6' draft Ben 50, and we took a Ball in front of Neptune's (after going through the marked channel that starts at 18-43.4N by 64-23.2W as shown on your chart).

This time I have one of the new 50.5's - but it draws 6'6"......which seems to be about 6 inches too deep for the mooring field.

From my read of your chart, I should not attempt going thrrough that inner marked channel.

Is there another mooring field prior to the one inside that second channel that will support 6.5 feet ? (I can't seem to recall...) ??

Otherwise I am thinking it would be safer to go on the hook in the vicinity of the anchor symbol on your chart. (avoiding the 5' speed bump of course).

Thanks,
Paul

We are flying down in less than 2 weeks ! Can't wait.
walker
Link to this postPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:47 pm    

At 6 and a half feet - yes - best not go into the the Neptune's anchorage. Grab a ball in the southeastern quarter of the ARH anchorage.
andrew
Link to this postPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:19 pm    

Last two trips to Anegada, we had a Bendy 505 (ex-Moorings) and a Dufour 525 (ex-Moorings) of nominal 6'1" and 6'3" draft. We secured mooring balls both times, and never bumped bottom. Of course, having bumped with the Beneteau at Marina Cay, we knew that the depth sender was 4.6' exactly above the bottom of the keel. Use the approach chart and common sense, and you'll be great.

Have fun!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Live Cruising Guide -> Anegada, BVI All times are CST (GMT - 6 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use