BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Wireless internet

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Internet Access
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject:  Wireless internet

Where can you pick up wireless internet? I read about a few but is it really at most of the developed anchorages?
walker
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:44 pm    

BVI Marine WiFi is at many anchorages. I have never used them, though.

At Anegada, Neptune's Treasure has WiFi.
Link to this postPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Beer Free WiFi

Does anybody know which anchorages have the free WiFi, if any. Walker is the WiFi at Neptunes free?

Thanks in advance.
Fender
walker
Link to this postPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:42 am    

Thw WiFi at Neptune's is free - but you have to get the WEP key from Randy or George at the bar. This requires buying dinner.
JasonHelmbrecht
Link to this postPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:35 pm    

Walker - is Neptunes still the only place on Anegada with Wifi?
walker
Link to this postPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:44 pm    

There is a BVI Marine Wifi hotspot at the Anegada Reef Hotel. $79/week for BVI Marine Wifi. They do have other locations.
Link to this postPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Note Re: Wireless internet

Rob wrote:
Where can you pick up wireless internet? I read about a few but is it really at most of the developed anchorages?

Here is a pretty good site that lists most (if not all) locations: http://www.angelinacat.com/Internetaccess.htm
Link to this postPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:25 am    

I've been sailing the BVI for 10 years now and was thrilled to see BVIMARINEWIFI come into existence. Imagine being able to keep in touch with anyone at almost any point in the BVI. The future looked bright. Last month I was down for two solid weeks and managed to get a "local" only service for all 14 days of my contract. I got 52 minutes on day one and then the service just plain and simple stopped! I've sent mulitple emails requesting a refund as well as trying to report the service problem with no feedback at all. I called the number on the web site and got an AT&T message asking me to entire the users 10-digit phone number which was not provided on the web site. The long and short of it, BVIMARINE is a ripoff!
I have found free and welcome internet use at:
Cane Garden Bay, Trellis Bay (also cost per mnute service), Marina Cay, Saba Rock (excellent), Leverick Bay (very good), Cooper Island, & Norman Island.
It's such a shame because the service BVIMARINE offers is so cool and yet the service just does not exist beyond getting your credit card number. If I ever see a refund, I'll apologize.......but I'm not holding out any hope at all.
HillsideView
Link to this postPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:10 pm    

Can usually get plenty of free service. Quito usually has an open network as does Lighthouse in CGB, and if you are eating at The Banana ask for the WEP key and they'll usually provide it.
walker
Link to this postPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:50 pm    

Pete wrote:
The long and short of it, BVIMARINE is a ripoff!
It's such a shame because the service BVIMARINE offers is so cool and yet the service just does not exist beyond getting your credit card number.

Same experience with BVIMarine WiFi - they are there only to take your $$. Overall - poor service for a lot of $$. Zero support. Even if they DID work, they are outrageously expensive.
chelrock1
Link to this postPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:21 pm    

Just saw today TMM is going "to offer wifi on all their boats" beginning soon. The info is on their website for more details...Don't know anything about quality. i do know someone who works there and hopefully be able to pick his brain the next time we meet up for a few...sounds like a wireless ubs card
mikonop
Link to this postPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:36 pm    

You know, I would never bring a computer along on my vacation...........
BUT, I am sure glad as hell that all of you do! Fresh conversation and Photos
from the BVI have to sustain me till my next visit.

Thank you all.

mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Internet Access All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use