BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
new anchorages

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Live Cruising Guide -> New Anchorages
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject:  new anchorages

We like to have a mix of anchorages. Where are some good one's that are not over used and isolated? Lee Bay is one where we used to not see other boats. What about the one on the back side (south) of Norman? We are coming in early July and before the winds were out of the northeast. The book says the wind should be out of the southeast which could cause a problem. Where are some more.

Thanks
walker
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:48 pm    

Money Bay is the good one on the south side of Norman Island. If you can get it all to yourself, you will have a real paradise. The good anchorage there (in the far eastern end) is sheltered from even a southeast wind. It will only hold a couple of boats without crowding, though.

Another that we have enjoyed is Long Bay on Virgin Gorda - just to the south of Mountain Point. Very sheltered, very smooth, nice snorkeling.
Auspicious
Link to this postPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:18 pm    

Try Key Cay on the south side of Peter. I rarely have company there.
Twanger
Link to this postPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:46 pm    

How about a poem...

If the weather is settled and wind-direction right,
anchor in the lee of Sandy Spit, it's a sailors delight.

If you're charting a boat and you've got the permission,
anchoring in White Bay, Jost is pretty darned bitchin'.

If you got the thumbs-up, and your keel is not too deep,
Anegada in front of Neptunes is a wonderful place to sleep.

If you sail down-wind to St. Thomas to drop a friend at the airport,
Set your anchor in Lindberg Bay near the Emerald Beach Resort.
Kerry
Link to this postPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:44 pm    

f you look at my blog from a couple of days ago, you will see Money Bay now. http://www.saildivebvi.com/serendipity
Used to be my favorite anchorage, but they have decimated it environmentally. There is a huge breakwater and dock, which means we could barely fit inside. The beach is totally gone, everywhere, nothing but piles of dirt. The digging up of all the land has meant the water is over run with green algae choking it everywhere. It even fouled our anchor chain so much coming up we had to pull it by hand.
Very sad. there might be a point of the destruction in the long run, but there sure is not now!
walker
Link to this postPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:00 pm    

Wow, Kerry - sad indeed. And - if I remember correctly - this is all being done by an "environmentalist".
MrBombastic
Link to this postPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:20 pm    

What's going on there????? New development?
Link to this postPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:24 pm    

Aww dammit, I was hoping to make it there for an overnight when I go next June. Now I'll never see it in its natural state. Sad.
Link to this postPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: Note Long Bay Virgin Gorda

Stupid question, but is Long Bay VG the same as Savannah Bay? I was reading a trip report and they mentioned it but had a hard time finding it on a chart. Has anyone anchored there and how was it?
walker
Link to this postPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:49 pm    

No - Long Bay and Savannah Bay are two different bays - about 2 miles apart. If you are headed north along the west side of Virgin Gorda, Long Bay is the last bay just before you reach Mountain Point and the Cow's Mouth.

GPS coordinates for Virgin Gorda's Long Bay as N18 29 57.3 W64 24 38.9.
Link to this postPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Note Long Bay Virgin Gorda

Thanks for the info. I always spend a few nights in the North Sound, but looking for something different. It should be a good anchorage in June with ESE winds. I will definitely get up to Anegada too.
Link to this postPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:37 pm    Post subject: Note Savannah Bay

Hello all - I too like to see other places and in a couple weeks we'll be going down again...
I see on my chart that Savannah Bay is shown as a day anchorage. Is it allowed to spend the night there (assuming good wind & weather) or is it against park rules?
Actually, maybe others have some suggestions: we are leaving out of Fat Hogs and for the first night I'd like something fairly close, quiet, and where we could pick up a ball (or anchor) and have good snorkeling right off the boats, a beach (there will be 17 people on two cats), and we can open the bar and fire up the bbq. Input is welcome!
walker
Link to this postPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:02 pm    

Savannah Bay is not a good overnight anchorage because ANY storm will make it quite rough - and the holding is poor.

It is not in a park, so there are no rules - but it is off-limits for some bareboat companies.

Out of Fat Hogs, you might consider Lee Bay (Great Camanoe) - nice sunset and very good snorkeling.
Link to this postPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:52 pm    

Thanks for the quick reply. I've never even heard of Lee Bay... does it have mooring balls? I'll check it out on the chart.
How about Little Dix - would it be an option? I see where there is a hotel in there but maybe further along into the bay would be good?
Feedback welcome...
walker
Link to this postPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:00 pm    

No mooring balls at Lee Bay - anchor only.

Little Dix is not an option.
Link to this postPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:16 pm    

Walker, thanks for the feedback.
I looked at the chart I have but it doesn't show Lee Bay as an anchorage.... if a person had their choice, where's the preferred anchorage? Is there a particularly good place for snorkeling?
Thanks again... insights are much appreicated.
walker
Link to this postPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:02 am    

Anchor near shore in the center of the bay. The bottom is rocky/sandy there. Best snorkeling is to the south of there.

Link to this postPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:40 pm    

Wow, nice job - many thanks. I'll keep in-touch.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Live Cruising Guide -> New Anchorages All times are CST (GMT - 6 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use