BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Food Markets

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Live Cruising Guide -> Questions, Answers, Tips, Notes, and Logs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robertsnole
Link to this postPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject:  Food Markets

Hey Folks,
In past charters we have provisioned almost everything before leaving the base which leads to some spoilage by mid week. I want to live off the land a bit more. I remember a pretty good market in Cane Garden Bay in the past. Do the anchorages Trellis or Great Harbour have anything in walking distance? Do you use any other stores?

Regards,
Jim
Link to this postPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:00 pm    

Bobby's Market is at Cane Garden, great store. Watch for the rotches! Trellis has a good little market on the W end, very expensive compared to Bobby's, big ice bags though; maybe the biggest. Great Harbor has the tastiest ice in the BVI a block behind the customs office and a few little markets. Bitter End E/Gorda has a good little place, lots of frozen fish and a great liquor store. Then there is Anegada of course. The Jeep rental place has provisioning if they are open; they weren't in October, but what is! Don't miss Pam's for all your pastry needs. By Neptunes, back from the beach a little S.
I agree with you about the over provisioning, it took us about three years to figure that one out. When your fruit starts to go bad, pour some rum over it; makes for good finger food. When are you going down?
robertsnole
Link to this postPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:21 pm    

Thank you for the advise. Is the Anegada store near the ARH or in the Settlement? It is looking like we may go in the first week of May.

Jim
walker
Link to this postPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:03 pm    

There is a market on Anegada near the ARH - just outside the gate. There is also a small grocery in the village.

Pam's Bakery has been out of business for over a year, and will probably never reopen. Pam is living in Oregon. Michelle (Pam's daughter) was operating the bakery a couple of years ago but Michelle has moved to Tortola.
Link to this postPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:35 am    

We had been using Dottie's Bakery, just a little ways from the iguanas. I figured it is still open. Nice fresh bread!
walker
Link to this postPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:53 am    

That is Dotsy's Bakery. Excellent bread and one of the best places on Anegada for lunch. Dotsy is a great cook, and her prices are very low.
Link to this postPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:57 am    

If I remember Dotsy's right. You can order things first thing in the morning and she will have them ready in the afternoon.
walker
Link to this postPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:46 pm    

Dotsy makes a KILLER pizza. I know it doesn't sound very Caribbean, but her pizza rocks. She makes pizza by order only. Call her in the morning and order it. 284-495-9667

Also, Dotsy does takeout dinners that are great - and only $10.
Link to this postPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:57 am    

Leverick Bay has a nice grocery too. Sits up on the hill.
D
Auspicious
Link to this postPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:50 am    

Walker wrote:
Dotsy makes a KILLER pizza.

When Janet and I ate at Neptune's Treasure (the blue fin tuna was wonderful) there was a couple at the bar waiting for a pizza from Dotsy delivered by one of the taxi drivers. It smelled great when it showed up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Live Cruising Guide -> Questions, Answers, Tips, Notes, and Logs All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use