BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Fishing the North/South Drop

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Tight Lines -> Fishing in General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Link to this postPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject:  Fishing the North/South Drop

We are chartering a cat in Jan '08, have been to Anegada many times and have fished by dingy all around there and the flats for bone fish but this year I plan to bring bigger equip.....is it possible to go out the the drop by sailboat (safely)? Also we are leaving from Tortola and bait there is pretty scarce as I recall....I didn't find any needle fish until we made Anegada last year? Thanks, roger
walker
Link to this postPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:21 pm    

Yes, it is quite possible to fish the north drop by sailboat. Seas there may be a bit higher than on the south side of Anegada, but should not be a problem if you are comfortable in open blue water.

For bait, get in touch with Wendell Creque. He almost always has some trolling bait available - or knows where to get it. Be sure to tell him that I referred you to him.

The best way to get in touch with Wendell is through the Lit Bit Taz Cash & Carry - 284-495-9932. If Wendell is not there, they can tell you where to reach him.
Link to this postPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject:  north drop

Any GPS coordinates you could share? How far from Anegada is it and is there any structure there or just alot of deep water? What baits you recommend for fishg out there? I have/do fish for just any kind of fish that swims....I owned a fishing and hunting lodge in Canada for several years and we travel to Door count Wi, every July for salmon fishing. Live in Missouri and fish here lots too. Any sites, advice etc will be appreciated. Couple years ago on a trip to Anegada I caught some Kings but didn't feel like the water was right (not deep enough, probably too warm too>) thanks for the bait source info..roger
teammac
Link to this postPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:02 am    

Debra and I are going to try trolling a bit on the South Drop this next trip in August, and were wondering if anyone is willing to share a starting lat / long / heading with us? My wife is the real fishing nut and I would like to see her hook a nice wahoo.
walker
Link to this postPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:56 am    

I don't have any GPS coordinates, but I watched 9 sportfishing boats pass just north of us at Cow Wreck Beach on their way to go out fishing this morning. Right now, they are fishing at what looks to be about 2 miles off the shore, and anywhere from directly north of us to maybe 5 or 6 miles further east.
Link to this postPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Note Fishing For Wahoo and Mahi

You can also get bait from Liz at Richardson Rigging in Road Town, rigged or not and she usually knows where the fish are biting.

The usual saltwater rules apply fish 220 to about 600 ft around 6 knots and look for birds. If you have a good sounder zig zig along the drop off, the line where it goes from 200 to about 4000.

Outside Anegada run around the west side, watch the fish pot buoys! and head out until you see the water colour change and fish the drop.

Last year with my eleven year old on a 30ft boat we hooked mahi, kingfish, wahoo, yelllowfin and blue marlin. It was amazing we didn't land many as it was tough but we hit fish for all day and had more than enough for the table.

Wahoo his red/black purple/black sea witches with ballyhoo behind and mahi hit pink/white and green/yellow again with ballyhoo.

Fish the tides and the moons, happy fishing.

Giles
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Tight Lines -> Fishing in General All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use