BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
gotta pick a rod wt

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Tight Lines -> Fly Fishing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:41 am    Post subject: Great gotta pick a rod wt

cant wait to get there. i've got a 8,10 and a 12wt i use my 8 and 10 in the flats at aransas and some for kings in the gulf.Really want to try for big tarps and anything i can tease up offshore .got my epoxy spoons from Connie Mack and they're awesome; made a few too.you think i can just bring my 12 and have fun in and around Cow Wreck...maybe off our dingy ,etc?
I.m planning on bringing some BIG rigs with plugs ,birds,teaser rigs,(hey, it's Marlin season, why not)off South Drop. I have a couple of Tournament friends in the area who promised to keep me in bait and info.will still have spinnig gear anyway.be there sometime around aug 5th or so.
BTW Rowdy used to beat us a lot in the bay!!
we'll be on Yachtzafun (Conch)Dingy named YA-YA ,4 ladies on board,+me.
walker
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:47 am    

I have a 6wt and two 8wts on Anegada. There is one section of beach where we fish almost exclusively for sharks that I might like to try a 10 or 12. Big barracuda also cruise that area. I have landed every kind of fish on Anegada on fly EXCEPT cuda and tarpon.

The big tarpon were cruising near shore last week where we were fishing for sharks, but I did not try tossing flies at them.

I had a bad thing happen two weeks ago - I lost the tip section of my 4pc 8wt Sage VT2. I was carrying it in the back of our truck, rigged and ready to fish. When I went for it on Tuesday morning, the leader was broken, line was loose, and the tip section was gone. The last thing I had done with it Monday afternoon was catch a lemon shark on a merkin crab with wire shock leader. I can only guess that the tippet before the wire leader had a nick and the vibration from the wind blowing over the line broke it. Anyway, the remaining 3 pieces are on their way back to Sage to get a new tip.

I am in Houston right now, but will be back on Anegada next week (July 16) until July 27, then a brief trip to Houston, then back on Anegada August 6-15. Come over to Cow Wreck Beach when you get to Anegada!

How about this for a fly tying bench:

My photo album for this summer on Anegada is here.
Link to this postPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:35 am    Post subject:  tarpon city

you convinced me!bringing the 12 with wf-12f tarpon orvis wonderline and gloomis rod ,you will love it .my friends have all given me at least one or two "got to have flys" including crabs,cuda thingys,etc..hopefully we can throw a few in your spot.tell them a lie or two.trying to get there on the 6th or 7th(aug) as i keep hearing about some wed.overload of boats .any info will help,cow wreck is the only place i really want to go 'cept trolling for big boys.#1goal is a pic of a marlin off a charter sailboat!
walker
Link to this postPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:50 am    

No truth to whatever you heard about Wednesday overloding of boats. We will be on the Monday morning ferry (August 6) to Anegada, and staying at Cow Wreck Beach.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Tight Lines -> Fly Fishing All times are CST (GMT - 6 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use