BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Catamaran Sailing Tips

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Live Cruising Guide -> Questions, Answers, Tips, Notes, and Logs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Link to this postPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject:  Catamaran Sailing Tips

Hi all,

Just booked up for a couple of weeks in September. Means that we get to visit JVD as we missed it both times before and we get to go to Anegada again Very Happy

We had a 34ft and a 39ft mono for 3 weeks during last year and this time we have a Lagoon 380.

Does anyone know of any good reference material on the differences in sailing monos vs cats?

Thanks
Link to this postPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 6:59 am    

I don't know of any specific reference material, but I think you will like the differences. One of the beauties of having a cat is the twin screws you get to operate while under motor. It makes things like docking, turning, etc. a breeze. Also, the large salon is nice as well as the trampolines where everyone can lay out while sailing/moored. The only problem we had while sailing is that the Captain's line of site of the main sail can sometimes be a little hendered.
gsabert
Link to this postPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 12:52 pm    

sailonline.com
Link to this postPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:53 pm    

While my answer is about 2 years late, I think it may be useful to others.

I grew up sailing cats (yes I learned on a sunfish at 11 but my first boat I owned was a cat at 19). I learned large mono's later so the reverse of the OP question.

cats can be driven a lot harder than a 1/2 boat, they turn much slower and in BVI do not go as well to weather( 110-130 degrees full tack) (my beach cat will kick any mono's butt in any direction). they are slightly faster than a mono so the lack of pointing will not be missed. we managed to keep our 43 at about 8 kts most days in 15kt winds but remember these are beat up boats and do not have proper sails. cats like a little footing to build speed, dont pinch. never travel past center with a cat it hurts performance, travel down a little if you are broad reaching in strong winds. cats are faster down wind if you tack(gybe), however without a spin, and in slow air just do your mono thing and wing on wing. also most of the BVI cats have mono sails, so performance is not something to count on. one of these days I am going to bring a Spin with me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Live Cruising Guide -> Questions, Answers, Tips, Notes, and Logs All times are CST (GMT - 6 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use