BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Anegada Express

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Pirate's Pub
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ndfaninnc
Link to this postPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Note Anegada Express

Walker,

Any idea what is happening with Anegada Express? Their website is stating service has been suspended until furthur notice. Thanks.
walker
Link to this postPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:02 pm    

They were stopped from operating on their first day. The official reason is that they had not obtained approval from some government bureaus that they were unaware of.

The most likely real reason is that they are in direct competition with the M-W-F ferries (Smith's and Road Town Fast Ferry). These ferries are subsidized by the government. The government guarantees them a certain number of passengers on each trip and pays them the difference if the actual number is less than the guarantee.

Clearly then, the government does not want outside competition. I believe that it is going to be very difficult for Anegada Express to get whatever additional approval that the government has decided that they need.

This is interesting because I went to a meeting a couple of weeks ago on Anegada, where our district minister (Dr. Hubert O'Neal) told us that the new ferry should be in operation "any day". I didn't believe him then, and I don't believe it now.
ndfaninnc
Link to this postPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:56 am    

Did not know the others were subsidized by the government. Not good for Anegada Express. Was the boat already purchased? If so, thats a big investment to lose out on.

When we came down in December we flew from STT to Anegada via VI Airlink. Still the best option right now? Doing ferries was going to force us a night each way in Tortola or St Thomas.

One last thing, my wife is wondering how the girls (Pasta, Noodles and Spuds) are doing. Have the babies arrived yet?
walker
Link to this postPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:01 am    

Yes, the boat was purchased. Doug Riegels, owner of the Anegada Beach Club bought it. Doug is a truly good man, and I hope he gets the wrinkles worked out. His boat would run the opposite routes that the others do, making it possible to go to Virgin Gorda from Anegada on a day trip.

The "girls" are not all girls! Spud is a jack (male). They are all doing great, and it looks like the family will soon have yet another addition.
ladyvol
Link to this postPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:39 pm    

Dang! Was so looking forward to being able to do a day trip to VG for groceries and lunch at Hog Heaven when we came down in May.
Winterstale
Link to this postPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:40 am    

I was hoping to find a way to get over for the day from VG while I am on island in April....looks like this probably wont be worked out by then.....
Riverfrontbrewer
Link to this postPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:39 pm    

Bridget -

I have no idea if they are running (maybe more info on the facebook, but i'm not on that thing) but Misty and I rode w Dive BVI over to Anegada from Spanishtown a few years ago. At that time they were running a snorkel trip three times a week from VG to Anegada. Some of the people on the boat were doing the snorkel trip, some were just catching a ride to do their own thing.
walker
Link to this postPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:12 am    

We have people from VG come for day trips very often. You can do a day trip on the regular M-W-F ferry runs. They stop at Spanish Town to pick people up on the trip to Anegada in the morning, and they stop at Spanish Town again in the afternoon on the return trip from Anegada.
Winterstale
Link to this postPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:37 am    

Oh great! Will plan on Monday, 4/23...think you guys will be off island but we are back for two weeks on the boat in June...hope to receate the BBQ extravaganza then! banana dine dine
Winterstale
Link to this postPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:38 am    

Chris...Dive BVIs Leverick location is closed - Elaine has stuff going so she might be a possibility too!
walker
Link to this postPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:53 am    

Great news! Anegada Express is running now!
Capndar
Link to this postPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:08 am    

Where do they depart from to come to Anegada
walker
Link to this postPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:12 am    

They depart from Beef Island
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Pirate's Pub All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use