BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Garmin software
Goto page 1, 2  Next, All  
Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> GPS Topics -> GPS Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Herve
Link to this postPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:45 am    Post subject:  Garmin software

The previous thread brought something back to memory.
The Garmin chart of Necker and the passage is totally off with my garmin gpsmap 175...older model.
Garmin told me that the map was correct but the georeferencing was off...
Do you experience the same problem with the newer blue charts ?
walker
Link to this postPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:44 pm    

My experience with the BlueCharts has been that they are dead-on correct. I just looked over the recorded tracks from our two trips last year, and they appear to match the map exactly.

I checked track points on VG, Camanoe, Scrub, Anegada, Cooper, Guana Island, JVD, West End, Trellis Bay, Fat Hog's Bay, Brandywine Bay, Road Harbor, Fort Burt Marina.... All look to be exactly right.
Link to this postPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 2:20 pm    

Perhaps someone can give me their opinion:

I have a GPS Map 76 and BlueChart v6 (w/ NY region unlocked). I will be chartering a catamaran in the BVIs later this year. Normally, I travel to the caribbean about 1wk every other year.

In your opinion, does the US030 region (Southeast Caribbean) have sufficient detail to warrant spending the $100 to unlock?
Link to this postPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 3:27 pm    

I'm sure Walker will comment on this, but, a 100 bucks means more to some people then others. That said, Most of the Islands in the BVI are "line of Site" navigation so a good paper chart is more then suffiecent.

During my last 2 charters, I only had my little garmin 12 unit with most of Walkers waypoints loaded into it, and it worked just fine. This year I will have my garmin map76 along and I did unlock the bluechart for the region. But I did it mostly to have a cool record of where we went, how long each leg took, etc. Obviously, it's going to help on navigation too! Anyway, for me, it's really just an added "cool" factor.

Now on SF bay it's a different story! The fog rolls in there and you can't see anything! It's nice to look at the GPS and see where the land is! I only wish it would tell me where the other boats are!

So, in a word...Unlock it! It will be cool Cool
tpcook
Link to this postPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:52 pm    

If you are using 6.0 you need to update to 6.5. Lots of changes like Anegada. Free from Garmin

TpCook

www.videoautomation.com/southsoundvilla.html
walker
Link to this postPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:29 am    

tpcook wrote:
If you are using 6.0 you need to update to 6.5. Lots of changes like Anegada. Free from Garmin

Not a free update unless you purchased V6.0 AFTER July 1, 2004. I updated from V4.01 to V6.0 in December, 2003. To update from 6.0 to 6.5 is $75. Is it worth it?

Tom: Could post or email me a couple of screen shots showing significant differences between 6.0 and 6.5?
tpcook
Link to this postPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:03 pm    

I can send you a cd rom from garmin to ugrade from 6.0 to 6.5 if you want. Free except for the drink that you will owe me.
walker
Link to this postPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:23 pm    

I already have the CD on order from Garmin -- the update CD itself is free.

However, to be useful in the GPS, you have to unlock the region (MUS030). The unlock code is generated with the GPS serial number, and then only works with that GPS.

I am paying around $600 a year in other GPS database updates (aviation -- required by the FAA). I don't mind updating my Garmin, but I don't really know if the update is worth it. Things just don't change that often in the islands. On the other hand, if there are things iin the update that really are useful, then I will purchase the unlock code for it.

I suppose that your unlock code would at least let me look at the updated charts with the MapSource viewer -- I just would not be able to use the update in my GPS....

I will still be happy to buy that drink for you, though. toast
louismcc
Link to this postPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:22 am    Post subject:  BlueChart 6.5

One issue I noticed when I upgraded from 6.0 to 6.5 was the island names (in MapSource) on the maps in the BVI no longer seem to line up with the islands themselves.

For exampe in 6.0 COOPER ISLAND, at 3 mi zoom, is in bold, right on top of the island itself. In 6.5 the name is somewhere out in the middle of the channel.

I haven't reviewed this in my 276c, but it is a pain in MapSource since I would like to be able to print trip tracks etc.

I'm also using the latest version of MapSource (6.5). I could send you some JPGs that show the issue if you'd like.
walker
Link to this postPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:10 am    Post subject:  Re: BlueChart 6.5

louismcc wrote:
One issue I noticed when I upgraded from 6.0 to 6.5 was the island names (in MapSource) on the maps in the BVI no longer seem to line up with the islands themselves.

I don't think this is caused by the BlueChart update. I think this is a new problem in MapSource. When I updated my MapSource software, I saw the same issue (bad label positioning) immediately -- on the 6.0 BlueChart data.

Display on your 276c should still be OK.

Last edited by walker on Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total
tpcook
Link to this postPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:24 am    

I just received a notice from Garmin that there is an update to the 76c unit that I have. I will post the copy. Will this help?

Garmin is pleased to announce that beta software is available for the GPSMAP 76C.

You can download the beta software from our website by clicking the following link:

http://www.garmin.com/support/agree.jsp?id=670

*********** Please Note! *************
This is BETA software. Although this software is believed to be reliable,
it has not yet been released for production and should be used at your own risk.Changes made from version 3.60 to 3.61:

* Fixed transfer problem with custom waypoint symbols.
* Now reports DEM map support to PC software.
* Fixed lockup that could happen when selecting a Tracback point.
* Fixed shutdown caused by viewing some Marine Light points.
* Fixed problem with Indonesian Southern Grid using wrong longitude of origin.
* Add advanced NMEA support settings to support certain marine autopilot units.
* Fixed problem where the interaction with certain beacon receivers was not displayed.
* Added Select Map option for Address and Intersection searching.
* Fixed problem where waypoint depth was not being saved as invalid when it was unknown.
* Fixed problem where waypoints could not be saved in certain areas of BlueChart maps.
* Fixed lockup that could occur when selecting symbols for waypoints.
* Added warning message about removing batteries when Pressure Trend Recording is always on.
* Fixed lockup that could occur when approaching certain roads on the map.
* Made the way intermittent water areas are drawn more visible.
* Fixed problem where compass pointer could transition to next turn too quickly.
* Fixed problem with bearing being adjusted improperly when projecting waypoints with a non-zero north reference.
* Fixed lockup that would occur when 'finding by name' and then viewing map information for the point.
* Fixed problem in tide charts where local time axis would not match the station time axis.
* Changed tide stations to show selected date when saved on a calendar day.
louismcc
Link to this postPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject:  Re: BlueChart 6.5

Walker wrote:
I don't think this is caused by the BlueChart update. I think this is a new problem in MapSource. When I updated my MapSource software, I saw the same issue (bad label positioning) immediately -- on the 6.0 BlueChart data.

Display on your 276c should still be OK.

I'm using MapSource 6.5 in both cases and the bad label positioning only happens with the BlueChart 6.5 data. As I recall, MapSource 6.0 was where I first spotted the problem The labels are fine until the zoom gets into something useful like the 3 miles. I'm sure the 276c is fine which is of course the important item. Sent a note to Garmin along with samples but never got a resolution.
louismcc
Link to this postPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:43 am    

tpcook wrote:
I just received a notice from Garmin that there is an update to the 76c unit that I have. I will post the copy. Will this help?

Garmin sent out a few betas then a couple of final versions for their 276c as well. I pretty much installed whatever the most current release was without problem. One issue was that everytime I updated the firmware the unit lost user settings like map scale, 'course up', key beep, etc., so in retrospect I'll avoid the betas and wait for the final.
tpcook
Link to this postPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:12 pm    

Hello:
When you say that you notice it in the 3 mile setting. I checked the 6.5 with the 3 mile setting on my laptop and do not notice any problem . Please give a specific example of the problem, or is this a problem on the Garmin readout devices.
louismcc
Link to this postPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:50 pm    

tpcook wrote:
Hello:
When you say that you notice it in the 3 mile setting. I checked the 6.5 with the 3 mile setting on my laptop and do not notice any problem . Please give a specific example of the problem, or is this a problem on the Garmin readout devices.

I don't have the jpegs up anywhere but could email them to you. They are about 150k each so I don't want to send unless you're interested in seeing them.

Louis
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> GPS Topics -> GPS Topics All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Goto page 1, 2  Next, All
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

Terms of Use