BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Fly Fishing Tips

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Tight Lines -> Fly Fishing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Link to this postPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject:  Fly Fishing Tips

Great site here. I caught your post in response to my question about the Dark & Stormy on TTOL, and figured this would be a better place to ask a few fishing questions. So...

Are there any shops w/ flies and other supplies on any of the islands?

What weight leaders do you use? for bonefish? others?

Any specific flies, besides the epoxy spoon, that I should bring?

It seems that Anegada has good fishing everywhere. We will also be spending some time at Brewer's Bay on Tortola and on JVD. Do you know of any good spots to fish in these areas?

I'll be sure to let you know how my day w/ Danny Vanterpool goes.
walker
Link to this postPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:19 pm    

I do not know of any shops anywhere in the islands that carry flyfishing gear. I carry down everything that I think that I might need.

Because I fish around coral a lot, I even carry spare fly line. I would hate to have to quit fishing because I lost a line to the coral.

I use 8wt, and I use my own furled leaders. I don't know if you have ever used them, but they are amazing - they last forever and are very, very supple. Do a Google search for "furled leader".

For saltwater, I make mine from 4# Trilene, with a 6.5 foot butt. I use 12 pound tippet connected loop-to-loop to the leader. I use the same leader/tippet combo for everything.

Flies - when you are on fish, it seems that almost everything works. Those are some hungry fish down there. I do prefer epoxy spoons, but I also have a few other patterns that I tie and use - faily simple variations of gotchas and crazy charlies.

I have not fished Brewer's, but I have been there many times and it definitely looks good. I would expect to catch jacks in there fairly easily. Access to a place to fish Brewer's is going to be very difficult without a boat, though. The shoreline is rocky, and pretty steep - no room for a backcast and impossible to wade.

JVD - No idea - never fished there, and we don't spend much time there.

Last edited by walker on Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
teammac
Link to this postPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:01 am    

Walker recently introduced me to fly fishing and it was really cool. But it was not even close to the fly fishing my wife does? Now I am really confused?????
Dugg
Link to this postPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject:  Fly Fishing

Hi

For some, fly fishing is an art form - as per “A River Runs Through It”. For us (old backpackers), it was a way of having trout for breakfast. Different strokes for different folks!

Peace
Dugg & Chris
http://picasaweb.google.com/papadugg/
Note : Finally got the ‘96, ‘97, ‘98, ‘02 and ‘04 pics posted
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Tight Lines -> Fly Fishing All times are CST (GMT - 6 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use