BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Brandywine Bay
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next, All  
Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Restaurants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dugg
Link to this postPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject:  RE: Long Pants, etc.

Hi

Just got back from a land-based trip to VG, Tortola and St. John. We did visit Brandywine on May 29th (a Thursday) after calling up from CGB to make a reservation. Just thought I’d let you know that the young lady who took the reservation said that long pants were de rigueur, but that acceptably long shorts would do if we forgot to bring the long ones.

We went into the ‘waiting area’ with its couches and pillows and ordered a very interesting drink (called at ‘Tortola Mojito’) that is kind of an upside down hybrid of a true Mojito and a ‘Dark and Stormy’ - made with anejo-type rum and ginger beer, with basil, lemon grass and brown sugar. Very tasty!

As always, we had to check the ingredients to make sure no flours were used (the Celiac curse), and Davide told us that their base stock does indeed include flour but offered us the fruit added to the stock in the sauce used on the duck instead. Unbelievably good duck! What a beautiful place and especially fine service. Not to mention that Davide’s a great guy.

Peace
Dugg and Chris
Delta Dave
Link to this postPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject:  What a great place!

We anchored in Brandywine Bay, took the dink to the dock, and walked up the hill for dinner on July 10th. Wow, what a great place. We especially liked getting to know Davide and Cele. We also decided to try and spend the last night of our trip there, so back we went, by taxi this time, on July 22nd. Same thing, always a special place with two of the greatest people running it.

Sorry but Brandywine Bay is closed for hurricane season. It will be back open in 3 months.

If you get within 100 miles of Brandywine Bay and don’t go, you’ve missed a great experience.

This place gets 5+ stars from me!
Link to this postPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:09 pm    

Love the food at Brandywine. Hate the drink prices. Nearly $7.00 for a Heineken and $13 for a Tanqueray and Tonic! Even by island standards that's a bit extreme!
Link to this postPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:55 am    

GrumpyOldMan wrote:
...$13 for a Tanqueray and Tonic!

With all the hype, Brandywine has been on my list of places to try, but with this info I've just taken it off the list. I think that restaurants charging exorbitant prices for drinks, which they get away with only because people generally don't ask the price in advance, is just as bad as, if not worse than, the "tax" scam. Do they really want or expect all their customers to ask the prices of drinks when ordering?
Delta Dave
Link to this postPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject:  Drink prices

When I was there in July, all the prices were on the drink menu. There were NO surprises. I knew exactly what I was spending and I could have ordered tap water.

Don't look for an excuse not to go. You'll miss a great experience.
MrBombastic
Link to this postPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:04 am    

GrumpyOldMan wrote:
Love the food at Brandywine. Hate the drink prices. Nearly $7.00 for a Heineken and $13 for a Tanqueray and Tonic! Even by island standards that's a bit extreme!

I tend to agree about the drinks, a bit over the top - definitely NYC prices (even higher). The food is good but you don't want to hang around sipping cocktails.....
Link to this postPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:39 pm    

OK, Brandywine's back on the list. Confused

Thanks for the good advice, Delta Dave and MrBombastic.
HillsideView
Link to this postPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:21 pm    

[/quote]
I tend to agree about the drinks, a bit over the top - definitely NYC prices (even higher). The food is good but you don't want to hang around sipping cocktails.....[/quote]

Brandywine never struck me as a place to sit around and get soused. Too busy enjoying the food!

And actually, those prices aren't out of line for my area (North NJ). Glad I gave up "serious" drinking years ago...save a ton of $$$
MrBombastic
Link to this postPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:12 am    

HillsideView wrote:

I tend to agree about the drinks, a bit over the top - definitely NYC prices (even higher). The food is good but you don't want to hang around sipping cocktails.....[/quote]

Brandywine never struck me as a place to sit around and get soused. Too busy enjoying the food!

And actually, those prices aren't out of line for my area (North NJ). Glad I gave up "serious" drinking years ago...save a ton of $$$[/quote]

Hmmm.....sipping = soused, you must have been a "serious" drinker. Definitely don't get "soused" in any restaurant (or bar for that matter). drinking
robertsnole
Link to this postPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 2:47 pm    

If you see Pork Belly appetizer on the menu board, step out of your box and try it. Holly smokes is that some good stuff!
Delta Dave
Link to this postPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject: Oooh Davide and Cele are turning over the reins of Brandwine Bay

Brandywine Bay is my favorite restaurant in the islands or anywhere else for that matter. Davide and Cele are turning over the reins to someone else. Say it isn't so. Walker, you as Davide's brother, may know detail of any new endevor. Can you or will you let us in on the info?
walker
Link to this postPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:06 pm    

It is so.

See http://bvinews.com/bvi/brandywine-bay-restaurant-introduces-relais-et-chateaux-executive-chef/

Pretty much tells the tale. Davide is concentrating on new endeavors.
Davide
Link to this postPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:36 am    

The relais et chateaux executive chef is gone and so has their patners......... there is a new couple who took over Brandywine Bay and I have been at their pre-opening party and they doing a great job.
It is hard to see changes to a place that I have spend the last 23 years of my life, but when those changes are for the better it is a joy. So I wish them a lots of luck and success has I can see that they have the right energies to take on the Brandywine challenges.

Davide
claire.giulini
Link to this postPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:33 pm    

It's an excellent restaurant with a view to match.
Herve
Link to this postPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:31 am    

Just made reservations for Sunday night...can't wait to check it out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Restaurants All times are CST (GMT - 6 Hours)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next, All
Page 3 of 4

Jump to:  

Terms of Use