BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Ferry to Anegada & Accommodations

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Ferries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RumBa
Link to this postPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject:  Ferry to Anegada & Accommodations

Walker: What ferry do you use to get to Anegada? I'm thinking of going back in October for a land based trip on Anegada........

Second question: What's your favorit place for staying in Anegada? I'm sure they are all good, but given the greeat expereince we had at Cow Wreck when we were there two weeks ago I'm looking at staying in their one bedrrom unit with a kithchen ("TwoSteps Closer"). What do you think?
walker
Link to this postPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 12:33 pm    

Smith's Ferry -- runs Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, with morning and afternoon service on those days. Morning trip leaves Roadtown at 7:00AM (sharp - not island time!), arrives at Anegada at 8:15. Leaves Anegada at 8:30, arrives in Roadtown at 9:45-10:00. Afternoon trip leaves Roadtown at 3:30, arrives at Anegada at 4:45, leaves Anegada at 5:00 and arrives in Roadtown about 6:15-6:30.

Our favorite place to stay is a toss-up between Cow Wreck's "Two Steps Closer" and Neptune's Treasure. We lean toward Cow Wreck in the winter months and Neptune's in the summer (air conditioning at night!). We will be staying at both places in June and July, and at Cow Wreck this coming November. We really think of both places as home. When we stay at Cow Wreck, we have breakfast almost every morning at Neptune's, plus dinner there about every other night. When we stay at Neptune's, we are at Cow Wreck every day. Bottom line: you can't go wrong with either.
RumBa
Link to this postPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 12:39 pm    

Walker: Thanks for the info. Perhaps we'll push our plans back to November so we can finally meet you and Nancy. You can teach me how to flycast and I'll teach you how NOT to ride a tandem kayak.........
walker
Link to this postPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 2:50 pm    

November -- there's a plan. We will be in the BVI for Thanksgiving week, and are staying at Cow Wreck Beach November 22-24. It would be a helluva lot of fun.

I have to warn you about fly rods -- they are very addictive. If your rod is set up right, it does not take long at all to learn to cast a fly.

I have had a blast with my fly rod this spring -- I have caught about 120 fish on fly from my kayak in the last month, and am busy tying up flies for the islands now.
RumBa
Link to this postPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 6:21 am    

I'll put those dates in my calendar and talk to my better half. The end of November would suit me just fine.

If we confirm then I'll break down and go out but a fly-casting rig. What weight fly rod do yo recommend for bone fishing?
walker
Link to this postPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 8:07 am    

An 8 weight is the best all-round saltwater rig. I also recommend a large-arbor reel.

Bonefish are heavy haulers. They take what seems like forever to wear down. Between letting them take line when they run (you have no choice), then retrieving, a large-arbor reel makes a big difference. You typically end up having to crank in a hundred yards or more -- and fly reels are 1:1 retrieve (unless you get into the real high-dollar models).
RumBa
Link to this postPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 11:03 am    

Thanks Walker......I'll keep you posted on our travel plans......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Ferries All times are CST (GMT - 6 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use