BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Bad Day for Anegada

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Pirate's Pub
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walker
Link to this postPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:03 pm    Post subject: Note Bad Day for Anegada

The Isabel V sank this morning as she was returning to Anegada. The Isabel was Anegada's lifeline. It made weekly trips to Tortola, returning with the island's gasoline, food, propane, and building supplies. It was the only barge serving Anegada.

Pics from Aaron Soares at Neptune's Treasure.

Delta Dave
Link to this postPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:19 pm    Post subject: Note Bad Day

Will she be able to be refloated?
walker
Link to this postPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:37 pm    

I don't know. Both of her engines are submerged, so even if she is refloated, she will be out of service for a long, long time.

This is a catastrophic event for Anegada.
NCSailor
Link to this postPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:05 pm    

Really hate to see this. We will be on Anegada 12/1-2 to support the local economy.
Delta Dave
Link to this postPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:01 am    

Walker. Should you contact Richard. He might be able to help some of his favorite people.
Capndar
Link to this postPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:56 am    

Any idea what cause the flooding?
walker
Link to this postPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:13 pm    

I don't really know. I have traveled back and forth between Anegada and Road Town on Isabel numerous times. She has always been wet in the keel. She has a steel hull, and it seems that some leakage was always going on.

I am guessing that either a crack opened up in the hull or that some thru-hull fitting broke. I willl find out when I get back to Anegada.

Traveling to Road Town on Isabel was always an adventure. We left Anegada at 5:30AM, and it took about 3 and a half hours to get to Port Purcell. After spending the middle of the day in Road Town, I would get back to Port Purcell around 3:30 in the afternoon for the trip back to Anegada.

The captain was usually either Garfield Faulkner or Bozo Wheatley. Bozo was the captain last Friday.

Even though the trip was slow, it was usually pleasant. There were normally 4 or 5 other people traveling on Isabel and we got to spend time socializing on the boat. We usually had some adult beverages with us on the afternoon trip back to Anegada.
JasonHelmbrecht
Link to this postPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:03 pm    

Has anyone heard whether Isabel has been refloated and if she was taken somewhere for repair??
walker
Link to this postPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:59 am    

She has been refloated and towed home. I saw some pics of her with air bags attached.
JasonHelmbrecht
Link to this postPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:26 am    

Interesting. Will they try to do repairs at her dock on Anegada? I could see doing basic hull repairs but is there someone on island that can rebuild the engines?
walker
Link to this postPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:12 am    

The engines will have to be pulled out of the hull. They can be shipped if necessary. I think that Jose can do whatever is needed on them. The transmission also.
walker
Link to this postPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:16 am    

She has been way overdue for some serious work. I hope it gets done - and done correctly. If you went down into the hull and took a good look at it last year, you probably would not ride on her to and from Tortola. It was pretty scary. The hull looked like it could go any time.
Capndar
Link to this postPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:13 pm    

Thanks for the update
Twanger
Link to this postPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:45 pm    

Walker, thanks for the update!
Is the shipping service to Anegada interrupted, or is there another provider?
walker
Link to this postPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:42 pm    

I don't know - I haven't heard any news in the past week.
Capndar
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:42 am    Post subject: Note Provisions for the Island

Happy New Year (?) How is material getting to Anegada?
walker
Link to this postPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:54 am    

Most things are getting here by private boat. Larger things have to wait until a barge load is ready, then a barge comes over. Star Shipping (Chalwell) operates the barge, but it is not on a regular schedule.

Sol Petroleum shipped a gasoline trailer tank over, so we do have gasoline.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Pirate's Pub All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use