BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Walker's Digital Gear

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Photography -> Photography - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Link to this postPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject:  Walker's Digital Gear

Idea I've always enjoyed Walker's photos and trip logs. My question is, what kind of camera do you use? The photos are almost a journal in themselves and the colors seem much more vivid than I'm capable of getting with my Kodak digital.

Do you set the camera on a tripod and use some sort of timer, because the pictures seem to be taken with great frequency.

I'm headed to Tortola next month for a 7 day charter and would like to improve my photos.

Thanks for the input.

Brian
STEWART
Link to this postPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:16 am    

I know he was using a Canon EOS 300D "Digital Rebel" DSLR as of last summer.
He does take awesome pictures doesnt he?
STEWART
Link to this postPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject:  Canon link

Interesting: http://www.photo.net/equipment/canon/30D/
Read it at TTOL that your upgrading.
walker
Link to this postPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:28 pm    

Thanks for the compliments!

My current equipment is:
  • Canon EOS 30D DSLR
  • Canon EF-S 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 USM zoom lens
  • Canon EF-S 17-85mm f4.5-5.6 IS USM zoom lens
  • Canon EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 zoom lens
  • Canon EF 24-70mm f2.8L USM zoom lens
  • Canon EF 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 USM zoom lens
  • Canon EF 70-200mm f4L USM zoom lens
  • Canon EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L USM IS zoom lens
  • Circular polarizers for all lenses
  • Other accessories (flash, carbon fiber tripod, carbon fiber monopod, mini-tripod, etc.)

When we travel to the islands, I only carry 3 or 4 of the lenses. I always carry the 10-22, 17-85, and 100-400. I also sometimes take the 24-70 (it makes awesome photos, but is heavy and does not have the zoom range of the 17-85). The 17-85 is my everyday lens.

I carry my gear in a LowePro PhotoTrekker AWII backpack. The pack works nicely - it is very well protected, is weatherproof, and fits in carryon.

My number one tip for capturing the vibrant colors of the BVI: Use a circular polarizer (it eliminates glare and deepens sky and water color).

If I need a tripod in the islands, I borrow from Davide. Did you know that Davide was a big-time fashion photographer in New York City before coming the best chef in the Caribbean? He has an awesome portfolio (and worked with some incredible people).

Last edited by walker on Mon May 05, 2008 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
STEWART
Link to this postPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:59 pm    

Now thats some serious gear mister!
Soooo what are you going to do with the old Canon when the new one comes in? If you want to sell it let me know. I need to upgrade big time.

No, I didnt know that about Davide. Given his infamously sauve and world-renowned flirtatious manner, i'm sure he was an excellent fashion photographer. Cudos Davide! Wink It would be great to see some of the portfolio sometime. I'm trying to learn alot more about photography now days. I carry a camera everywhere I go but the quality of my photos is not all that great because of the types of equipment I have at the moment.
Adios! KS
walker
Link to this postPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:05 pm    

Stewart: I will keep that in mind. I need to replace the focusing screen in the 300D -- it has picked up some dust, and I have learned that it nearly impossible to clean, but very easy (and inexpensive) to replace.

If I sell it, it will go with the 18-55mm lens. I am also thinking of selling the 28-135 and the 70-200 lenses, since I never use them.
STEWART
Link to this postPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:15 pm    

Thanks Walker!
I need to get something like that camera so I can take some awesome pictures for my computer wallpaper. For about the last year I've been using yours. LOL! Seriously
STEWART
Link to this postPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:19 am    

Two years later and I finally got a new camera.
Jumped on a Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTI 400D. Grabbed a EF-75-300mm lens to accompany the EF-S 18-55mm that came with the camera.
I am simply amazed at the photos I have taken so far. Even got great close ups of plants and flowers with 18-55!
Set up the tripod and attached the 75-300 and got some good pictures of the Denver airport which is about 25-30 miles away. (I can do that because my house is 250ft higher than Denver.)
Anyway, thanks Walker in making me a believer in Canon. Now just need to do a little manual reading and get the most out of this thing.
walker
Link to this postPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 2:43 pm    

Congratulations! That 400D is a fine, fine camera. I have a friend in Houston that is a professional photographer, and all of his work is with a 400D. This is a link to his website.

I strongly recommend getting yourself the 17-85mm IS lens as your next lens. It is a very good all-around lens, and the image stabilization really helps.
STEWART
Link to this postPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 9:43 am    

Wow, thanks for the link. Great shots! I will research on your lens recommendation. Sometime soon I will get some pix hosted to my website and maybe you can give me a little critique. Thanks again.
STEWART
Link to this postPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:44 pm    

Have you checked this vid out?
http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=GetArticleAct&articleID=277&fromTips=1
walker
Link to this postPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:58 pm    

I had not seen that video. I am using a 30D now. The sensor cleaning feature came out after they released the 30D. I really would like to have it. I use air (from a spray can) right now to clean my sensor when it starts to show dust spots.

Since I have my camera open quite often - and in less than ideal locations for cleanliness, I do get dust on my sensor fairly often.

To check for dust, I go outside and take a straight-up shot of pure blue sky (can't do this if it is cloudy). Then go inside, download and look at the full-sized image. Any dust spots on the sensor are easily visible.

It sometimes takes me 3 or 4 tries to get the sensor clean enough.

I might upgrade to the 40D successor (50D?) when it comes out. Until then, I am going to stick with the 30D.
STEWART
Link to this postPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:00 pm    

There is an EOS-5D on the Canon website. Havent seen anything about a 50D though. I cant tell if thats the next one up from yours. Maybe they dropped the zero?
STEWART
Link to this postPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:15 pm    

Walker wrote:
Congratulations! That 400D is a fine, fine camera. I have a friend in Houston that is a professional photographer, and all of his work is with a 400D. This is a link to his website.

I strongly recommend getting yourself the 17-85mm IS lens as your next lens. It is a very good all-around lens, and the image stabilization really helps.

I will be picking up the 17-85mm IS lens next week before our trip to Marcos Island,FL after reading good reviews on it and of course your suggestion since you know what your talking about and we have all seen how good your photography is.
I did snag a Canon EF-S 55-250mm 1:4-5.6 IS lens recently just because it was at such a great price. Have had some very good luck while being on top of the mountains and taking pictures of the para-gliders down below us. Tripod really helped of course. Image Stabilization just plain rocks.
Link to this postPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:01 pm    

On the subject of sensor dust, I would like to recommend that anybody new to DSLRs get their camera professionally cleaned by the manufacturer...I've heard far too many stories of well-meaning friends or overconfident newbies or inept 3rd-party repair shops destroying camera sensors because they were obsessed with having a squeaky-clean sensor. I know Canon will clean your sensor free of charge if it's in warranty, and the cost afterwards is minimal.

Also, you don't need to clean the sensor nearly as often as you may think. Sensor dust spots are easily removed in software, and unless they are really big, don't really affect picture quality. Cleaning the sensor less = less chance to ruin it.

Lastly, if you are REALLY concerned with dust, get a camera that has a self-cleaning feature. I'm only familiar with Canon's products, and I think the Rebel XTi, 40D, 1D mark III, or anything newer has an integrated sensor cleaning system. I have a 1D mark III and between being semi-careful about dust and using the camera's built-in cleaning mechanism, I've never had to take my camera to get its sensor cleaned.
walker
Link to this postPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:20 pm    

My 30D does require fairly frequent sensor cleaning - primarily because I change lenses a lot, and I change lenses in less than ideal environments. There are no dust-free places on Anegada!

I try to minimize the amount of dust that I introduce to the camera by the removing the cap from the new lens, quickly pre-positioning the new lens before I remove the old lens, get it into place quickly, then cap the old lens ASAP.

The best way to detect dust spots is to go outside, manually set set your focus to infinity, then take a photo of a cloudless section of blue sky at small aperture (high f-stop). If your sensor has dust spots, you will see them.

I mostly use canned air to clean my sensor, but sometimes have to resort to a manual swab with a solvent. This is a real pain, but sometimes necessary.

The integrated sensor cleaner on the latest models will probably be the thing that eventually drives me to replace my 30D.
Link to this postPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:22 pm    

Right, sometimes a "field cleaning" is inevitable and it sure sounds like you've got a good handle on how to do it.

Walker wrote:
The integrated sensor cleaner on the latest models will probably be the thing that eventually drives me to replace my 30D.

And they DID just release the 50D.... Wink
walker
Link to this postPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:26 pm    

cpMike wrote:
Right, sometimes a "field cleaning" inevitable and it sure sounds like you've got a good handle on how to do it.

Walker wrote:

And they DID just release the 50D.... Wink

Which costs roughly the same as two round-trips between Houston and Anegada. Otherwise, it looks perfect. I'm planning on holding out until the 50D's successor comes out, then pick up a 50D. Another 12 to 18 months on Canon's cycle, I figure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Photography -> Photography - General Discussion All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use