BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Upcoming Trip

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Pirate's Pub
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BVI North
Link to this postPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:20 am    Post subject: Note Upcoming Trip

My Wife and I are chartering a cat from PVC in Marchwith our daughter and 3 friends for a high school grad trip. We are including the parents of one of the girls. Our family has done numerous charters but the other 5 have not been nor done much sailing.
We are having a crew get together this Friday and I'm looking for ways to prep them for the trip.
How do you folks get newbies ready to experience what we've come to appreciate?
TomC
Link to this postPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:19 pm    

For one of our charters that included a family of newbies, we held a similar crew party and showed a promo video from our charter company. You can make use of video clips that others have posted here as well as the "other" forum. I just did a quick search on YouTube and got several hits on "BVI sailing". Certainly share any photos or videos you may have of previous charters.

You might want to serve painkillers, smoodies, or other local favorites. I think I might have made some conch fritters.

It would also be a good opportunity to have your guests check out the cruising guide if you have a copy handy as well as any other useful documentation.

Have fun!

Tom
Norman
Link to this postPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:19 pm    

Show them Captain Rick's CCC video Mr. Green

Really though, show them a good youtube of somebody's trip. I'd ask each person what part they thought was the best...to get a feeling for where they want to go.
walker
Link to this postPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:19 pm    

It is entertaining to me that the term "Credit Card Captain" has gained such widespread use. It was me that first coined the expression about 15 years ago in response to the things that I had seen on BVI charters.
Herve
Link to this postPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:05 pm    

Something I did Walker ???
Delta Dave
Link to this postPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:23 pm    

Start by telling them that you are going "boat camping" and this will not be a get waited on cruise ship type vacation.
Calypso Me
Link to this postPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:18 am    

Have a knot tying session. Have line for them to practice thought the evening. We did a fire drill type game. Like "Gimme a bowline". Everyone stops what they are doing and ties a bowline. Silly prizes like bug off or seasick wrist bands make good prizes.

Go over basic safety. Make sure that they know that the captain is the boss and what he says goes as far as operation of the boat.

Even newbies can be assigned jobs. If you have someone who is good with money let them be the purser. Have someone designated to be in charge of the dingy. Bailing it in the morning, cleaning and security at night. Assign galley duties and general clean up, sweeping the floor, tidying up the salon etc.

Explain the water situation. No 20 minute showers, no leaving the water running while you brush your teeth etc.

They will have a blast!! Enjoy
Joshlarson82
Link to this postPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:41 pm    

For our trip this past January I made a power point presentation of the different places we could anchor, the different bars, places to snorkel, and included new information for the oldies but goodies who were going. I figured out where you can get a free bag of ice and water at certain places where we could moor. None of us had been to the bubbly pool before and after the presentation it was a MUST on the trip. We all loved it and will go back for sure.

I love the knot tying idea! I will use that next time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Pirate's Pub All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use