BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Best Grocery Store?
Goto page 1, 2  Next, All  
Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Provisioning and Shopping
View previous topic :: View next topic  
preserved
Link to this postPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject: Note Best Grocery Store?

Hi everyone,

This November I'll be visiting for the second time. Last year, we bought groceries at the Rite Way market at East End/Fat Hogs Bay. It was ok, would love to have a little more selection. Is the Rite Way in Road Harbor much better? I know it depends on what someone's taste is right? Would love to find more steak & chicken offerings.

PK
walker
Link to this postPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:49 am    

I'm not sure which Rite-Way you are referring to. There is a Rite-Way just off the main roundabout in Road Town, but it is not the good Rite-Way. The good Rite-Way is at Pasea (near the Moorings). It has by far the largest selection of any place on Tortola. They are almost as good as any supermarket in the U.S. - except on Sunday and Monday. Restocking is Tuesday.

The Rite-Way at East End has a decent selection - and, for some reason, has a few things that the one at Pasea does not have. But the Pasea store has a much larger overall selection and a tremendously good meat department. They have top-notch steaks.
Calypso Me
Link to this postPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:54 am    

Good to know that re stocking is Tuesday. RiteWay Pasea is by far the best store in BVI.
walker
Link to this postPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:29 am    

The Tropical container ship arrives on Tuesday mornings.
preserved
Link to this postPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:53 am    

Thanks everyone. I'd like to visit the Pasea Rite Way.

Any info as to the best way to stop by boat? I have the guidebook, and I'll check, but is it a real hassle? Would it be easier to get there by taxi if we are starting from Fat Hogs Bay?
walker
Link to this postPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:29 pm    

If you are starting out of Fat Hog's Bay then yes - a taxi from there will definitely be easier than any other way. Fat Hog's Bay to Pasea is only about a 10-minute taxi ride.
preserved
Link to this postPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:08 pm    

Thanks!

PK
nwa sailor
Link to this postPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:42 pm    

Riteway will also pick you up at your marina, wait while you do your shopping and drive you back with no charge. We'lll be using them next Saturday for our provisioning out of Wickmans Cay!! Have a great time.
BVI North
Link to this postPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:53 am    

Hi
How far is Pro Valor's new location to the Riteway? The old location was literally just beside it.
We are chartering in March, arrive 8:30 am at EIS and are trying to figure out if we should rent a van (8 people, 5 1st timers) to do a quick drive tour and provision or just concentrate on getting on the boat. Pro Valor web site suggests we get the boat at 1, therefore lots of time. We have chartered with them before, great operation, and if we can get going on the boat loading, orientation etc before 11 we would just do boat stuff. Would still need to know if we can walk or need to cab. We do a carry on with most of our meat and a few other special diet considerations.
Thoughts
TomC
Link to this postPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:28 pm    

Hi, according to PVC's website, the Riteway is located one block from their facility. They also indicate availability of a dock cart to transport provisions. We agree Jim & Cecilia provide great service.

Have fun!
Calypso Me
Link to this postPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:35 pm    

Tom, that is the small Riteway that is right by the marina in Fat Hogs. There is a very nice one in town (Pasea) that is comparable to stateside grocery stores. It is about a ten minute taxi and well worth it if you are doing provisioning. FYI! last time we were there they did not provide bags so bring some old ones or reusable a with you. they will box items if they have a supply of them
preserved
Link to this postPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:27 am    

Yes, We too are with Pro Valor. Good people. The Rightway is a very short walk away, but it's a small one. I'm hoping the one in Pasea is a bit larger.
BVI North
Link to this postPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:51 am    

How far is Pro Valor's new spot from their old location? Is it in where red rock resturant is? I'm trying to figure out where they moved to.
preserved
Link to this postPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:53 am    

I don't know their old location. They are just about right next door to the Riteway market.
BaardJ
Link to this postPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:28 pm    

Pro Valor's new location (since Fall 2013) is about 250 feet east of their old location and Riteway East End. Red Rock Restaurant is another 1/4 mile further east. Personally, I would provision at the Riteway Pasea near the Moorings if I had a big crew (send your crew there while you and 1st mate get checked out on the boat). I could probably manage provisioning at the Pasea East End if it were for just my wife and I. I always arrange a delivery order with Caribbean Cellars for the adult beverages when I have a large crew.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Provisioning and Shopping All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Goto page 1, 2  Next, All
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

Terms of Use