BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Day dreaming.....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, All  
Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Pirate's Pub
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BEERMAN
Link to this postPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:41 am    

How are the sharks behaving this week, anybody looked lately?? if all goes as planned we should be there Tuesday/Wednesday. Thanks for all the info from everybody and hope to share a drink with some of you next week.

mtbradley
Link to this postPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:47 pm    

Our crew walked the beach there June 22nd, but didn't get there until about lunch time - maybe a little after. No "action", but we did see two nurse sharks. One was smaller and about 40 feet out cruising up the beach. The other was about 5 feet and resting in the surf about 3 feet from the beach. We got in with it and it was pretty laid back.

By the way, Walker, right in the water line (at least per the tide at the time we were there) was a short piece of what looked like metal pipe, near the dead tree trunk you mentioned as a marker above. I joke to my friend that it was an old ship's cannon, but then when we took a closer look, one end did indeed have what looked like the ball (or in this case it was more of a spike) used to leverage a cannon up and down on the carronade. Any idea what this is? Probably nothing, but I thought I'd ask.
walker
Link to this postPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:33 pm    

There is an old 80-pound propane gas cylinder in the water there. It has rusted away enough that you cannot tell what it is very easily. One end is rounded, with a flange near the center. It is about 2 or three feet from the water's edge, and maybe 50 yards to the right of the tree trunk. Does this sound like what you saw?
mtbradley
Link to this postPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:56 pm    

Yep - that's exactly it. The flange is what made it look like an old mortar. The thing is so rusted and encrusted that there was no way I could tell what it was. Thanks for solving that little mystery for me!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Pirate's Pub All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, All
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

Terms of Use