BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Comfort level sailing to Anegada/swells

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Sailing and Navigation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bubbamsu
Link to this postPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject: Note Comfort level sailing to Anegada/swells

We are doing another charter this June and have a newbie on the trip who has reservations about sailing to Anegada with large swells/winds. We will be a on 44ft Catamaran and obviously none of us want to the sail in 10-15 ft swells. She doesn't get sea sick easily, but has had troubles in the past with rougher seas and very choppy waters in the Great Lakes. I think she will be fine with all the sailing if we avoided the longer sail to Anegada in rough weather.

What would be a comfortable height/wind that you would be comfortable sailing from the north side of VG with a passenger like this?

Thanks
sail2wind
Link to this postPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:42 am    

yes, June is not known for larger seas like the winter. 10-15' swells are rare. The trip is only 13 miles, around 2 hours in a mono and 1 1/2 in a cat. I don't find the sea much different to Anegada then in the Drake.
walker
Link to this postPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:44 am    

I would expect light wind (10-15kt) and fairly flat seas (2'-4') in June. Should be no problem at all on a 44' cat.
bubbamsu
Link to this postPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:29 pm    

Thanks a lot for the information. Hopefully if everything goes right, we should be there for a few days at the end of June.
sail2wind
Link to this postPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:49 pm    

us too
JasonHelmbrecht
Link to this postPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:04 pm    

The waves and swells in the Great Lakes can't be compared to what you'll see on a trip to Anegada. In the Great Lakes, the waves are very close together and steep. On the passage to Anegada, they will be much farther apart and the boat will ride over the swells.

I'm from the Great Lakes and am used to seeing waves that are only a boat length or 2 apart so the ride is very rough in anything over 3 feet. In the trip to Anegada, they will be 5-10 boat lengths apart and not as violent as the Great Lakes.
Twanger
Link to this postPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:56 pm    

Jason - the Chesapeake Bay is similar.
If there's 3-footers in the Bay you can get beat up pretty good because they are so close together.
kentth
Link to this postPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:04 pm    

I would agree with Jason. The waves on the the Great Lakes are very different then what you will find on the passage to Anegada. That is one reason you will find the hull design different on the commercial vessels on the GL compared to ocean going vessels.

What you will find on the passage, our last one in June we had 3-5 ft, was that the Cat we had tended to hobby house. One hull raise, while the other would go down. Not that much pitch and roll, like on a mono-hull.

Kent
2manyboats
Link to this postPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:54 am    

So with three newbs and a wife not real fond of bashing about to windward, what say ye about mid-December from Bitter End to Anegada?
walker
Link to this postPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:43 am    

That is a tough one to predict. Most of the year, Bitter End to Anegada via the Colquhoun channel out of the North Sound is a tight reach with 4 to 6 foot seas. However, December typically brings higher and more northerly winds. The "Christmas Winds" are not at all a sure thing, though.

That said, a 44' cat shouldn't be too uncomfortable for sea virgins unless it is blowing in the 20s or more. The best plan for December (or any time of the year) is to have a loose plan, and be adaptable to sea conditions.
2manyboats
Link to this postPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:56 am    

Maybe I can put 'em up at BEYC for the night...

Thanks for your advice, Walker. I appreciate your taking the time to respond. In lurking around this site for the last three or so hours, you seem to have the best grasp of all things BVI. I was hoping for some Wonky Dog, but will definitely plan around it. Plenty of other things to do for our short 7 days.
walker
Link to this postPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:13 pm    

Anegada is so different from everywhere else in the BVI and is absolutely an unforgettable place, making it well worth the sail up. It isn't a long sail - usually about 2 hours from the North Sound.

And yes - Wonky Dog is dynamite. The 13hr Lamb Shank is one of the best entrees that I have had anywhere in the BVI. If you can have dinner only one night on Anegada, the Dog is the place.
Capndar
Link to this postPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:58 am    

We are under 60 days to go - will you be there Halloween time?
walker
Link to this postPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:28 am    

We will be there around then. Current plan is to be on Anegada October 10-30. May extend into November...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Sailing and Navigation All times are CST (GMT - 6 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use