BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Anegada Beach Club
Goto page 1, 2  Next, All  
Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Pirate's Pub
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NCSailor
Link to this postPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject: Note Anegada Beach Club

I see they are now a sponsor here. The menu looks great. Any reviews on the food? Do they have a real pizza oven?
walker
Link to this postPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:15 pm    

Yes - they have a real pizza over. And a panini press (great Cuban sandwich). Their food is good, and a nice change from the pretty much same thing offered everywhere else. We go to ABC about once a week.

Grill menu is here.

Dinner menu is here.

Last edited by walker on Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Di
Link to this postPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:59 am    

Whoaaa 15.00 for a cheese burger ! You all were not kidding when you said to bring less cloths and more cash.
sgmharvard1
Link to this postPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:24 pm    

It's Anegada! My son once said "we have found paradise, where the water costs more than the wine!"

Everything but the lobsters is imported serval times over...
kentth
Link to this postPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:20 pm    

Hate to say it but I always figure I can get a cheese burger back at home. I always look for the local cuisine. Normally the price is better and it is difficult to get good fresh seafood, in Indiana.

Besides who needs water when the rum is a great price.
Di
Link to this postPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:10 pm    

kentth wrote:
Hate to say it but I always figure I can get a cheese burger back at home. I always look for the local cuisine. Normally the price is better and it is difficult to get good fresh seafood, in Indiana.

Besides who needs water when the rum is a great price.

Well said! The lobster at 70 a plate i can only imagine is worth it! I know looks amazing next year I ll get to taste it. love
sail2wind
Link to this postPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:06 pm    

$70 is ridiculous, would never pay that much.
walker
Link to this postPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:21 pm    

I have been advocating everyone raising the price of a lobster dinner to $75. At $50-$55, we frequently run out of lobster, and the Anegada lobsters are not nearly as plentiful as they were 10 years ago.
sail445
Link to this postPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:04 pm    

walker wrote:
I have been advocating everyone raising the price of a lobster dinner to $75. At $50-$55, we frequently run out of lobster, and the Anegada lobsters are not nearly as plentiful as they were 10 years ago.

Lobster are like cockroaches, there's no way that they will become extinct.
Hurricanes will wipe out some but they reproduce faster then rabbits.
Raising the prices just gives the impression to the tourist that they're being ripped again sort of like the new taxes the government wants to impose.
My 2 cents
sail2wind
Link to this postPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:20 pm    

The ironic thing about lobster pricing is lobster is their best food cost item as there is no purchase price if they are catching their own. Steak I can understand being very high priced with importation and duties, read "A Day at the Beach" by the Blanchards, who opened a restaurant in Anguilla. I believe lobster is priced high in the Caribbean for it's perceived value.
walker
Link to this postPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:17 pm    

sail445 wrote:
Lobster are like cockroaches, there's no way that they will become extinct.

No - they will not become extinct. However, some lobster fisheries (like Anegada) are severely overfished, which has lead to a much reduced population of marketable lobster.

Talk to any Anegada lobster fisherman. The lobster on the Anegada reefs are becoming fewer and fewer. If you believe that the Anegada reef is just teeming with them, you are sadly mistaken.
walker
Link to this postPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:20 pm    

sail2wind wrote:
The ironic thing about lobster pricing is lobster is their best food cost item as there is no purchase price if they are catching their own.

A lobster dinner on Anegada has the HIGHEST food cost. All of the restaurants buy lobster. With the exception of Neptune's Treasure, none of the restaurants catch their own. Neptune's does catch lobster, but not nearly as many as they sell. And operating the Argus III (Neptune's boat) is very expensive. It is definitely not true that the lobster that they catch has no cost.

Last edited by walker on Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
sail2wind
Link to this postPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:29 pm    

Walker, not any costs, of course. My assumption was they were catching or buying from local lobster guys, not from purveyors. We can buy live lobster in STT for $12. a pound, that's retail at Food Center. I do agree the lobsters served on Anegada are larger then the ones in the finer restaurant on Tortola. I can't say I love lobster, so not really a big deal for me. So if they are paying $20 for a 2lb lobster and selling for $60, they are right on 33% food cost.
walker
Link to this postPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:34 pm    

Current local price for lobster is $8/pound in the shell. A typical lobster dinner requires much more than 2 pounds of lobster in the shell. Anegada lobster yield about 25 to 30%. That is, to get one pound of meat requires three to four pounds of lobster. The restaurants try to give 12 to 16 ounces of lobster per full dinner.
sail445
Link to this postPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:43 pm    

Quote:
"Talk to any Anegada lobster fisherman. The lobster on the Anegada reefs are becoming fewer and fewer. If you believe that the Anegada reef is just teeming with them, you are sadly mistaken."

Well there are ups and downs, when you empty an area of lobster other lobsters move in.
Now when an area is more or less emptied and your hit by a cat 3 hurricane it takes awhile to restock
Now add to that the other restaurants that have opened trying to purchase lobsters and it sounds like a global warning scare.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Pirate's Pub All times are CST (GMT - 6 Hours)
Goto page 1, 2  Next, All
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

Terms of Use