BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
What is water temperture for July, wet suite needs?

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Live Cruising Guide -> Questions, Answers, Tips, Notes, and Logs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Link to this postPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Question What is water temperture for July, wet suite needs?
Calendar eventFrom Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:15 pm to Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:14 pm (included)

Question In July what is water temperture, wet suite guide, we will be bareboating July 8-22 this year.
walker
Link to this postPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:47 pm    

Water temps in July should be in the low to mid 80's -- no wetsuit needed. (We have never used wetsuits in the BVI.)
Link to this postPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:34 am    

We've been snorkeling for the last 15 years and we've always worn wetsuits. Our use for them is not for warmth, only for protection from the sun. We're usually out in the morning for 1 to 1.5 hours and again in the afternoon. Being on the surface, you catch a lot of sun and with a choice between lathering up with suntan lotion or putting on a wetsuit, I prefer the wetsuit (we come down in the winter, as white as snow...). We have the thinnest material possible, just a thin stretch type that dries quickly so it's dry for the afternoon snorkel.

Regards, Bob
Link to this postPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Complicity Thanks for the advise, we will be in the islands July 8-22,

Walker wrote:
Water temps in July should be in the low to mid 80's -- no wetsuit needed. (We have never used wetsuits in the BVI.)
mtbradley
Link to this postPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:38 am    

I know my response is no longer useful for the original question, but I wanted to add that some sort of 1 mil wetsuit or at least a t-shirt is good for protection from Jellyfish. For some reason they were worse than I had experienced before when I was in the Islands this past November. In fact, our sailing instructor was stung so bad at Fallen Jerusalem that we had to rush him to the clinic at Spanish Town. By the time we got him to the clinic he wasn't breathing well and was shaking so bad they strapped him to the bed so they could work on him. I'm sure he won't be back in the water again without an epi pen or two on hand. All that was from a single jelly that wrapped around his torso as he was backing up in the water. My wife and I along with my in-laws had already gotten out of the water because the jellies were so bad.

That was my first time snorkeling at FJ, so I don't know if that is typical of the location or if this season they are worse than normal. We also saw a bunch of them when we were on our mooring ball at Marina Cay...watched them float past the boat for over an hour.

There were also signs posted at the Baths, but no one in our group saw anything that day.

Anyway...Walker is spot on...as far as temp goes, I haven't ever had to wear anything...not on the surface...not at 80 ft. But for sun and jelly protection I tend to wear a t-shirt.

Matt
Link to this postPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject:  Jellyfish???

I have yet to see a single jellyfish in the BVI. Is there a particular season when they tend to hang out?

Thanks
mtbradley
Link to this postPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:15 pm    

I've chartered down there 3 times and stayed on VG one other time. We saw them on all four trips. The three charters were all the last week of October thru the second week of November and they were pretty common on all three trips (and worse than I had yet seen this past November).

The one time we stayed on VG we were in the water at Little Dix and at the Baths and I don't recall seeing any. That was August '05.

Matt
Link to this postPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject:  Jellyfish

Well, as for November, I was there the week before Thanksgiving in '06, a week earlier in '05. Didn't see one either trip.

Go figure.
mtbradley
Link to this postPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:35 pm    

yep...that's odd. We were there the 11th thru the 18th this past November which sounds like we probably overlapped. As I mentioned above, they were the worst at Fallen Jerusalem and Marina Cay. Didn't see any anywhere else. But where we did see them they were thick!

I would just as soon hear more testimony like yours. But when we went into the clinic at Spanish Town they were very efficient at treating it and told us they have to treat for jellies frequently, especially at certain times of year. You'd think I would have thought to ask what times of year, but if I did I don't recall their answer.

Matt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Live Cruising Guide -> Questions, Answers, Tips, Notes, and Logs All times are CST (GMT - 6 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use