BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
How's the fishing been?

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Tight Lines -> Fishing in General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brianhfree
Link to this postPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Note How's the fishing been?

heading down next week and planning on fishing off the back of our 50ft sail cat. bringing trolling gear w/ hopes of getting out to the south drop one day, as well as some spin gear for while on anchor.

have a few skirted lures and some deep diving plugs i'm hoping to test out somewhere off the south drop. how's the bite been? will we have a shot at anything table worthy?
sail2wind
Link to this postPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:28 pm    

it's called fishing, not catching, everyday is a new mystery. We have had luck off the south drop, remember to go east to west, otherwise you will have some very unhappy guests. Try taking off between Ginger and Round Rock, the drop is pretty close. Stay on the drop line and come back to the Drake around Norman.
sail445
Link to this postPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:41 pm    

Fishing is good all around the islands but first check with the charter co about a fishing license.
Trolling on a sailboat is a bit different then a sport fishing boat. The 500 Lb Marlin is not what you want to hook into, it's like going to the Kentucky Derby and throwing a meat hook into a speeding horse.
Feathers and medium lures will get you fish for the BarB-Q
A little tip while trolling if you see the water darkening a bit due to an underwater reef, sheet out the main and slow the boat down and the Yellow tail Snappers will come up and attack your lure.
At your mooring at night start chumming the water with pieces of bread and in within the hour you'll attract fish and with bread kneaded a bit with your hand and put on your hook you'll catch Snappers.
If you catch Barracuda or Jacks or large Red Snappers discard them because they might have Ciguatera poisoning.
brianhfree
Link to this postPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:48 pm    

Thanks for the info!

All set w/ the licenses. made sure to get those taken care of ahead of time. If we hit the drop, hopefully targeting small yellowfin, dolphin, or maybe a wahoo. If we hook into a bill fish, i plan on cutting the line.

Inside trolling and on the anchor, sounds like the yellow tail snapper are safe to eat? Is this because they are too small for Cig, or they just don't feed on the reef enough?

In terms of other grillers, are there any bonita or king fish around the inside areas?

Can't wait to get down there, thanks again.
sail2wind
Link to this postPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:48 pm    

what does your charter company have to do with fishing licenses? I've always thought it would be a great idea if the BVI gov't allowed the charter companies to sell licenses, but it is probably not going to happen. You can email for your license, painless process and it's $45 pp. Technically anyone who touches the fishing rod is suppose to have a license. Personally, one per boat will be fine. In 20 years I have never seen the BVI fishing police. Last Stop Sports and BVI Water toys have fishing equipment and will procure your license for $60 if you don't want the hassle
brianhfree
Link to this postPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:54 pm    

re: licenses, figured one would be fine for the boat, but wanted to play it safe. got enough for anybody that wanted to fish.

yellowtail snappers safe to eat down there? sounds like Cig is a big concern down there.
DawnB
Link to this postPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:19 am    

When are you headed down, and what boat are you on? Maybe we'll see you!

Wheels up in 4 hours for us!
sail445
Link to this postPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:43 am    

brianhfree wrote:
Thanks for the info!

All set w/ the licenses. made sure to get those taken care of ahead of time. If we hit the drop, hopefully targeting small yellowfin, dolphin, or maybe a wahoo. If we hook into a bill fish, i plan on cutting the line.

Inside trolling and on the anchor, sounds like the yellow tail snapper are safe to eat? Is this because they are too small for Cig, or they just don't feed on the reef enough?

In terms of other grillers, are there any bonita or king fish around the inside areas?

Can't wait to get down there, thanks again.

King fish are all around the reefs and treat them like Jacks and Cuda.
Sir Francis Drake channel you'll run into Bonitos.
I once caught a Dolphin right outside the mooring balls at the Baths.
Good luck
sail445
Link to this postPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:51 pm    

sail2wind wrote:
what does your charter company have to do with fishing licenses? I've always thought it would be a great idea if the BVI gov't allowed the charter companies to sell licenses, but it is probably not going to happen. You can email for your license, painless process and it's $45 pp. Technically anyone who touches the fishing rod is suppose to have a license. Personally, one per boat will be fine. In 20 years I have never seen the BVI fishing police. Last Stop Sports and BVI Water toys have fishing equipment and will procure your license for $60 if you don't want the hassle

In the last twenty years there have been numerous boats confiscated and fined in the tens of thousands and more and also included jail time for some for fishing without a license.
sgmharvard1
Link to this postPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:18 pm    

Not had great luck with trolling. What do you do with the dink your towing? Can you recommend specific lures and baits. I want to be better organized for April.
walker
Link to this postPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:18 pm    

sail445 wrote:
sail2wind wrote:

In the last twenty years there have been numerous boats confiscated and fined in the tens of thousands and more and also included jail time for some for fishing without a license.

All sportfishing boats, mostly out of St. Thomas.

Not a single BVI charter boat. Ever. Ain't gonna happen.
sail445
Link to this postPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:23 pm    

I haven't heard of any BVI charter boats either that would really be nuts fining the hand that feeds you.
walker
Link to this postPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:26 pm    

The incidents that did occur were in retaliation for some heavy-handed treatment of BVI commercial fishermen by the USCG. The BVI had a bone to pick with the St. Thommians.
sail445
Link to this postPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:37 pm    

sgmharvard1 wrote:
Not had great luck with trolling. What do you do with the dink your towing? Can you recommend specific lures and baits. I want to be better organized for April.

When trolling let the the lure out about a hundred feet behind your dinghy depending on the seas. Your dinghy motor should be tilted, reeling it in won't be a problem.
White feather lures or rubber squid lures in Chartreuse or Red work fine.
Expensive lures aren't necessarily better.
Keep a net with a medium handle or a small gaff handy.
And keep a positive attitude Mr. Green
sail445
Link to this postPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:40 pm    

walker wrote:
The incidents that did occur were in retaliation for some heavy-handed treatment of BVI commercial fishermen by the USCG. The BVI had a bone to pick with the St. Thommians.

They also confiscated some Puerto Rican Sport fishing boats that were in a tournament.
walker
Link to this postPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:00 pm    

The behavior of the USCG down there is the main reason that we never ever go into US water - and we also discourage anyone else that asks.

Imagine this: You are on your first bareboat charter ever, just off St. John. You are approached by a USCG boat. They pull alongside and instruct you to drop your sails - they want to board and inspect your boat.

You have no reason to worry, right? So you cheerfully invite them aboard. After all, they our your friends, right?

Three officers board your boat, weapons in hand, and say nothing. Two stand guard in the cockpit while one goes below for your "inspection". He does not perform much of an inspection. Instead, he goes directly to your chart table, opens it, pulls out your fog bell and measures it's diameter.

Your bell measures 6.5 inches.

He sternly tells you that your bell is required to be a minimum of 8 inches in diameter, issues you a citation for having an undersized bell in US water, and tells you that you must respond. With no further "inspection", the group then leaves your boat without so much as a pleasant word.

WTF? You basically just got a traffic ticket while on vacation. Were you supposed to bring your own bell?

This exact incident happened to a very good friend of mine about 10 years ago. It took me a long time to get him to come back down - even to the BVI.
brianhfree
Link to this postPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:21 pm    

We got fishing licenses because from what I understand, BVI law states you need licenses to fish their waters. Sounds unlikely to ever get checked for them. However, out of respect for the country I am visiting, I feel like they should be purchased. I'm a guest in the BVI's and will play by their rules.

Avid boater up here in New England and I know if I found out some visitors to my waters were fishing/lobstering w/out a license, or taking short fish i'd be mighty pissed.

Anyways, back to fishing: what's the deal with the yellow tail's down there, you guys eat them, or do they have Cig?
walker
Link to this postPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:29 pm    

brianhfree wrote:
However, out of respect for the country I am visiting, I feel like they should be purchased. I'm a guest in the BVI's and will play by their rules.

Now that I agree with. But - I am saying - if, for some reason, you do not have a license - go ahead and fish. No one is going to care.

brianhfree wrote:
Anyways, back to fishing: what's the deal with the yellow tail's down there, you guys eat them, or do they have Cig?

We catch yellowtail on the inshore reef on the west end of Anegada. They are rarely larger than a pound. We eat them, never give it a second thought.
sail445
Link to this postPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:11 pm    

brianhfree wrote:
We got fishing licenses because from what I understand, BVI law states you need licenses to fish their waters. Sounds unlikely to ever get checked for them. However, out of respect for the country I am visiting, I feel like they should be purchased. I'm a guest in the BVI's and will play by their rules.

Avid boater up here in New England and I know if I found out some visitors to my waters were fishing/lobstering w/out a license, or taking short fish i'd be mighty pissed.

It's more economical in the long run to get the insurance OOPS I meant the license.
As for the Yellow Tail, for some reason people don't get Ciquatera poisoning from them
Now for Barracuda which is infamous for Ciguatera the people in Anegada consume them and on the north shores of most large islands they do also without getting sick.
So go figure
My opinion is that the currents and wind keep a fresh water flow washing away the poison from the reef.
sail2wind
Link to this postPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:21 pm    

can you imagine the BVI gov't seizing a Moorings boat?
sail445
Link to this postPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:39 pm    

sail2wind wrote:

Laughing Anything is possible.
Occasionally BVI C&I boats will go through a crowded anchorage and pull up to a Moorings or Sunsail boat and ask for passports and other ID's (Of course it's strictly business) just because there are blonde BiKini's ladies on deck show's they're not sexists because they're professionals.
RickH
Link to this postPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Note Hmmmm

sail445 wrote:
sail2wind wrote:

Laughing Anything is possible.
Occasionally BVI C&I boats will go through a crowded anchorage and pull up to a Moorings or Sunsail boat and ask for passports and other ID's (Of course it's strictly business) just because there are blonde BiKini's ladies on deck show's they're not sexists because they're professionals.

So what your saying is if I wear a speedo (think BAD visual) we would never get bothered?
sail2wind
Link to this postPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:15 pm    

in over 20+ years I have been going to the Virgins, I have never seen a BVI C&I boat

We were coming out of Cruz Bay in our dinghy and there was a dinghy ahead of us and a USCG skiff at the entrance. They put their lights and siren on and pulled over the guy in front of us. We pulled up and he waved us off. We return to our boat and we see the CG and the dinghy pulling up to a charter cat about 2 boats away. When all was clear we dinghied over to the cat and asked what happened. They were not cited but scolded for being in a dinghy without life vests. I don't think i have EVER had a life vest in my dinghy. They did a basic safety check and gave them a list of things the charter company needs to have aboard to make the boat USCG compliant.
sail445
Link to this postPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:22 pm    

sail2wind wrote:
in over 20+ years I have been going to the Virgins, I have never seen a BVI C&I boat

We were coming out of Cruz Bay in our dinghy and there was a dinghy ahead of us and a USCG skiff at the entrance. They put their lights and siren on and pulled over the guy in front of us. We pulled up and he waved us off. We return to our boat and we see the CG and the dinghy pulling up to a charter cat about 2 boats away. When all was clear we dinghied over to the cat and asked what happened. They were not cited but scolded for being in a dinghy without life vests. I don't think i have EVER had a life vest in my dinghy. They did a basic safety check and gave them a list of things the charter company needs to have aboard to make the boat USCG compliant.

Little by little more and more government control so little Like Political Correctness where people are afraid to talk and express their feelings
sail2wind
Link to this postPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:36 pm    

what the hell are you talking about? hairy
sail445
Link to this postPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:42 pm    

sail2wind wrote:
what the hell are you talking about? hairy

I'm talking about to much government control.
To much Homeland security BS that's not for terrorist but to control the populous
Even the brain dead which you seem to be familiar with.
laugh
walker
Link to this postPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:10 pm    

We catch a lot of fish. The only fish that we don't eat are horse-eye jack, nurse shark, barracuda, rays, and large dog-tooth snapper. A lot of my friends do eat barracuda - I give what cuda I catch to them. We carefully put the nurse sharks and rays that we catch back into the sea - they are gentle creatures. We cut up the horse-eye jack and use it for shark bait. We eat dog-tooth that are 10 pounds or under, the rest go back to the sea.

Ciguatera is real. I have a lot of friends that have had bouts with it, and some still suffer from the effects. We are lucky - fish from the west end of Anegada do not have ciguatera.
brianhfree
Link to this postPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:50 pm    

great trip. Not much going on in terms of inshore fishing. hooked up with a few strange looking fish on small storm shads when fishing off the back of the boat. saw plenty of tarpons, but couldn't get any to take. Got the boat out to the south drop one day and trolled up a big barracuda, a few black fin tuna, false ablie, and lost a 40-50lb wahoo right off the stern. turned the black fin into some nice sashimi for happy hour.
ericlut
Link to this postPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:25 pm    

How did you access the South drop? I want to get out there in March but I'm a little concerned that our non-fishing crew members will not be happy once we're there if the seas are up at all.
brianhfree
Link to this postPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:06 pm    

we headed south of Peter's for about 2 miles, then headed west towards norman. Made a few passes over the drop. Seas were 4-6" but with a 50ft cat it wasn't too bad. Not any rougher than it was inside the Drake Channel. the trick is to head down wind. Most of our crew were non-fishers and they loved it. Look for Frigate birds out there, they'll lead you to the fish.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Tight Lines -> Fishing in General All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use