BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Crewed Charter vs Captain Only

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Charter Boats
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Di
Link to this postPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Note Crewed Charter vs Captain Only

Hi Everyone
A group of eighteen of my closest friends are planning a floatilla of 3 next New Years for 10 days on our first charter. Currently we are researching which would be the best type of charter for our first adventure to the BVI. Do we have a broker arrange 3 crewed charters or 3 with a captain only? I am finding it hard to get unbiased reviews on crewed charters but have already received great recommendations on many captains. We also have a few requirements regarding cat size ( 6'9" tall husband berths with feet dangling required ) and power ( sleep apnea machine one of crew will keep all three cats up at night snoring with out it ). A few of are experienced boater but nothing certified nor would I want to be responsible for a party of eighteen. The group in general is open to cooking some meals as well as likes the idea of having someone prepare and serve meals however at the same time would also be into exploring restaurants and many bars and many more bars Cheers

What do the the good folks of BVI Pirate.com think? Which is better crewed or captain only? Do you have recommendations and / unbiased reviews for crew? And captains ?

Please nothing sugar coated I have experienced this already on TTOL (I m registered as Missy Girl on TTOL) I want to hear the good the bad and the ugly.
H Man
Link to this postPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:02 pm    

http://www.carefreecharters.com/tandem-charters.htm

How much does your group want to spend per person? For an idea of what you can get, see the above link. For a large group such as yours, I would think crewed, not only because of the experience level, but because crewed, you can all kick back and enjoy.
NCSailor
Link to this postPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:18 am    

You will have a hard time finding three comparable crewed charter boats available for the same ten day period unless you book through the Moorings or Sunsail. Even then it may not be possible. Crewed boats have their own personalities which is why many people use brokers to find the boat that suits their style of cruising. Some are more elaborate/expensive and others are more party oriented. If you go the crewed route you will also likely be leaving out of different marinas which creates some logistical issues. If you want everyone to have approximately the same cost, boat, sailing experience, food experience, etc. then you should go captain only.
Twanger
Link to this postPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:36 am    

First, I recommend that you get at least 50% deposits from everyone and make it their responsibility to find a replacement should the back out. Deposits not refundable if they don't get a replacement. Also, would recommend you designate a person for each boat to handle everything for that boat. Divide the effort up.

If you like to cook and don't mind cleaning up, and especially if you'd like to help sail - a captain-only charter is perfect.

I you don't want to cook of clean-up then of course a captain+cook is the way to go. Often it's a couple, so the Captain and cook will share a cabin. You will have to pay and feed both, so two is more expensive than one. Usually a captain+crew charter is done on a boat that is exclusively chartered this way, but you can probably bring a team on to crew any charter boat.

You could consider grouping people together on one boat that want a cook, and those that don't on another boat.
Di
Link to this postPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Note Crewed vs Captain only

H Man wrote:
http://www.carefreecharters.com/tandem-charters.htm

How much does your group want to spend per person? For an idea of what you can get, see the above link. For a large group such as yours, I would think crewed, not only because of the experience level, but because crewed, you can all kick back and enjoy.

Thank You HMAN for the link. Nice to hear from a fellow Pacific North-westerner.

We are budgeting 4000.00 per person including air fare. Is it that much less expensive to do a captain only trip ?

I had read somewhere doing a crewed option was less expensive than going on a traditional cruise because a crewed charter includes an open bar. As we have run up crazy bar tabs on traditional cruises prior this seems like a savings, plus the value of choosing your own itinerary is priceless.
Di
Link to this postPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:31 am    

NCSailor wrote:
You will have a hard time finding three comparable crewed charter boats available for the same ten day period unless you book through the Moorings or Sunsail. Even then it may not be possible. Crewed boats have their own personalities which is why many people use brokers to find the boat that suits their style of cruising. Some are more elaborate/expensive and others are more party oriented. If you go the crewed route you will also likely be leaving out of different marinas which creates some logistical issues. If you want everyone to have approximately the same cost, boat, sailing experience, food experience, etc. then you should go captain only.

Thank you NCSailor for the insight. I have heard great things about the Moorings and absolutely love their Robertson & Caine 4800. Another cat I can't keep my eyes off of is the Lagoon 4600. Do you have any referrals for captain only charters?
Di
Link to this postPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:44 am    

Twanger wrote:
First, I recommend that you get at least 50% deposits from everyone and make it their responsibility to find a replacement should the back out. Deposits not refundable if they don't get a replacement. Also, would recommend you designate a person for each boat to handle everything for that boat. Divide the effort up.

If you like to cook and don't mind cleaning up, and especially if you'd like to help sail - a captain-only charter is perfect.

I you don't want to cook of clean-up then of course a captain+cook is the way to go. Often it's a couple, so the Captain and cook will share a cabin. You will have to pay and feed both, so two is more expensive than one. Usually a captain+crew charter is done on a boat that is exclusively chartered this way, but you can probably bring a team on to crew any charter boat.

You could consider grouping people together on one boat that want a cook, and those that don't on another boat.

Thank you Twanger Great advise to get 50% upfront to prevent folks from backing out with out a replacement. I am positive my list of 18 will dwindle down to a more reasonable number. Who knows maybe even back to the original 3 couples and I think I would be ok with that too. Also a good idea to designate a lead for each boat.

With the recent posts on the ferry service on TTOL I am certainly reconsidering where are adventure should began. Chartering out of STT is looking better and better although with a larger group we could water taxi at a reasonable rate.

Any referrals for captain only or crewed charters?
NCSailor
Link to this postPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:44 am    

Di,

Both the Moorings and Sunsail have captains available. I don't personally have a referrals. Good luck.
Di
Link to this postPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:57 am    

NCSailor wrote:
Di,

Both the Moorings and Sunsail have captains available. I don't personally have a referrals. Good luck.

Thank you Very Happy
Auspicious
Link to this postPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:01 am    

Most people early in their BVI experience find themselves eating ashore more often than they expected. That makes the value of a captain-only charter (v. crewed or captain+cook) higher.

With some poking around you are likely to find a good captain/cook who will look after him- or herself when you go ashore and keep you happy when you do eat on the boat.
Di
Link to this postPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:37 pm    

Auspicious wrote:
Most people early in their BVI experience find themselves eating ashore more often than they expected. That makes the value of a captain-only charter (v. crewed or captain+cook) higher.

With some poking around you are likely to find a good captain/cook who will look after him- or herself when you go ashore and keep you happy when you do eat on the boat.

Ok I'm poking rofl I see your in yacht management any referrals of fun loving captains that love to cook and eat out?
Twanger
Link to this postPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:44 am    

Oh... For a Captain-only charter I can highly recommend Capt. Jim Phillips on Blue Moon.

see: http://www.sailingbluemoon.com/
walker
Link to this postPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:19 pm    

Same here - Jim is as good as you can get for captain-only. You can only get him with Blue Moon.

I also recommend Jimmy Hodge - 284-499-5956. Jimmy will captain for any boat.
Auspicious
Link to this postPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:00 pm    

Sure - send me an e-mail that describes your party and interests and I'll send you a list of candidates.
Di
Link to this postPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:39 am    

Twanger wrote:
Oh... For a Captain-only charter I can highly recommend Capt. Jim Phillips on Blue Moon.

see: http://www.sailingbluemoon.com/

Thank you Twanger
I have corresponded with Jim, he is awesome. The group has not yet decided on captain only, but I am strongly persuading them this is the route to go. If I am successful I plan to hire Jim with Bluemoon. 1 down 2 to go, can we clone him? Very Happy Jim has also given me some referrals of folks that he knows that would be comfortable doing a tandem trip with him. At this point I really need to get our group committed to dates and the type of charter they want. Wish I was going this New Years !
Di
Link to this postPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:46 am    

Walker wrote:
Same here - Jim is as good as you can get for captain-only. You can only get him with Blue Moon.

I also recommend Jimmy Hodge - 284-499-5956. Jimmy will captain for any boat.

Thank you Walker I will give him a call. Can you tell me a story about an experience with him?
Di
Link to this postPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:47 am    

Auspicious wrote:
Sure - send me an e-mail that describes your party and interests and I'll send you a list of candidates.

Will do! Thank you again
Island-Surf-and-Sail
Link to this postPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:39 am    

You may also want to get in touch with Kathy Corbett. She owns a BVI yacht charter company called Dynamic Charters.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Charter Boats All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use