BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
any new overnight moorings?

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Sailing and Navigation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joshlarson82
Link to this postPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Note any new overnight moorings?

This will be my third trip and some of my friends seventh or eighth. We absolutely love it. We always use bvi yacht charters and have found our favorite and familiar spots. I was wondering if anyone knows of any new overnight moorings? We want to try some stops we haven't been to but our captain prefers to use mooring balls instead of anchoring.

We have spent the night at The Bight, Cooper Island, Trellis Bay, Leverick Bay, Bitter End, Cane Garden Bay, Anegada, and Sophers Hole. If we can find a mooring this time we will stay a night at Marina Cay. We usually day stop at The Indians, The Caves, The Baths, Foxy's, and Sandy Cay.

We love all of the places but plan on Anegada, The Bight, and Cooper for sure.

Any snorkeling or overnight moorings that are off the beaten track would be greatly appreciated.

I can't wait to go back!
kegoangoango
Link to this postPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:13 am    

Personally, we really loved Great Harbor, Peter - nothing to do but relax, swim, etc. There are only about a dozen mooring balls there, but we went when the there was no one in the BVIs.
DawnB
Link to this postPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:05 am    

You didn't say when the last time you were down, but there are newer-ish balls in Great Harbour on JVD within the last few years...

Also Privateer Bay & Kelly's Cove on Norman have balls, and I believe that Soldier Bay on Norman also has some, which I believe are newer.

I like Kelly's because there are only 5 balls, the snorkelling isn't bad right off the boat, and it's a LOT quieter than the Bight.

Isn't there also balls on Sandy Cay now for day stops? I'm not sure if these are new, as I haven't been there in a few years...
lakenorman
Link to this postPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:41 am    

Agree with trying Great Harbour, Peter. Good snorkeling along south shore. You could add Diamond Cay and Little Harbour on JVD. As for day/snorkeling moorings, you should try the Dogs and Monkey Point.
BVI North
Link to this postPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:12 am    

We really enjoyed the balls at privateer, fantastic sunset. Over near Foxy's Taboo there are some balls but we found the anchoring near the back excellent.
sail2wind
Link to this postPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Note anchoring

anchoring opens up a whole new world in BVI. If you can't anchor in Anegada, you need some serious anchoring lessons. Think of a mooring ball as 5-6 painkillers a night.
Joshlarson82
Link to this postPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:31 am    

Thanks for all the responses! I appreciate it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Sailing and Navigation All times are CST (GMT - 6 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use