BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
tmtbradley trip report 2013 - Photos
Goto page Previous  1, 2, All  
Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Trip Reports -> British Virgin Islands
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mtbradley
Link to this postPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:13 pm    

I've never noticed a second halyard available on the Moorings boats. But I probably should quit using the snap shackle. A fall from the mast would be pretty nasty. Lots to snag on the way down to a hard deck.
mtbradley
Link to this postPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:18 pm    

And Twanger's photo is exactly what I use - along with one of these:

http://www.rei.com/product/699550/black-diamond-alpine-bod-climbing-harness

It's a simple and inexpensive harness that will do the job just fine. You can pay a little more and getting padding.
Calypso Me
Link to this postPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:19 pm    

So walk me thou the go pro/ iPad interface. I was reluctant to get one but if it will download directly to the iPad I will reconsider.
Twanger
Link to this postPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:24 pm    

We hauled Captain Jim up the masthead of Blue Moon while at anchor in Trellis Bay in hopes that he could repair a broken main halyard.

The man trusted me to tie the knot in the spare halyard to haul him to the mast-head.
There's some faith, eh?

We also had a spare jib halyard that ended about 10 feet lower on the mast, so we put a back-up belay on him with that one.

When he got to the top he was swinging around up there so bad that he only lasted about 10 seconds before calling to come down!

Trellis is not a good place to do this kinda high-wire stuff!
mtbradley
Link to this postPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:44 pm    

That's a good point, Twanger. When you get to the top, any pitching or rolling becomes exaggerated and wants to throw you out from the mast. On a calm day it isn't too bad, but you need to hang on occasionally.

Rita - On your iPad go to the App Store and download the free GoPro app. The first time you use it it should prompt you in order to wirelessly connect the devices. You'll need to have your gopro present and on.

The new gopros will stream wirelessly to your iPad and can be controlled from your ipad as well. Obviously this uses the battery up faster, but it works well. I think the range is officially 50 feet or maybe 100. But obviously environmental factors are key. It won't stream from underwater, for example. At least not at any depth beyond about 6 inches.

You should also purchase a card reader for your ipad. This way you can remove the SD card from your gopro and upload your video right onto your iPad for viewing, editing, and uploading.

My next experiment is going to be to attach the camera to the head of the mainsail and try to get footage as we raise the main.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Trip Reports -> British Virgin Islands All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, All
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

Terms of Use