BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
CYOA trip report - April, 2013
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next, All  
Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Trip Reports -> British Virgin Islands
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DawnB
Link to this postPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:23 pm    

I must be old then... the first time I chartered, we didn't have GPS, didn't have Chart Plotters, didn't have Loran C... Still can't use a sextant worth a damn, but can do all kinds of bearings & dead reckoning!

We used paper charts, eyes, and hands on the helm. Guess I am an old fashioned girl, cuz if I'm not sailing for 3+ hours offshore, I would rather be at the helm than have the auto helm running the boat...

Plus, I don't get to sail very often, so when I do, "I" want to sail the boat... not let some machine do it!

And Evan, before you say you need auto helm in case something happens, I've had to tie off the wheel in an emergency, and it works just as well in most cases!

Just my personal opinion, of course, nothing against those that prefer auto helm to feeling the boat beneath their hands...
sail2wind
Link to this postPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:09 am    

Many wheels have lock screw on the side of the wheel, which serves the same purpose, however this will not keep you on course, as you know. There are many reasons auto pilot is convenient. When motoring upwind, I am very comfortable at the helm with a book and auto pilot. We have furling main and holding an upwind course to let out the main, auto pilot is very helpful. The point being Brendt's rules are way over the top and would preclude us from chartering, if we chartered. Chris, Saildoggie and I chartered Sanctuary when Garvey owned her, Brendt was the "agent". As we literally took the boat from Garvey in CGB. He came aboard and talked to us like kids, actually kind of humorous. We then proceeded to sail to North sound straight through the forbidden Anguilla cut. tonguea
FatDaddyK
Link to this postPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:14 am    

@ Calypso Laughing (Chuckle, chuckle) Laughing She said, "used sex tent . . ."
Calypso Me
Link to this postPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:51 pm    

Dawn, I was talking Christopher Columbus old, not my age old!!

Fat Daddy. A used sex tent might also be called a condom. rofl rofl
Capndar
Link to this postPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 9:25 am    

Wow - I am really sorry you had a less than ideal vacation, with illness and boat issues.

I would not desctribe us as die hard CYOA fans - only one charter - We have chartered the sister cat from CYOA (no air) and I couldn't agree more on parts of your review - the ventillation is weak.
http://www.traveltalkonline.com/forums/s...rue#Post1353536

That said, we had a very nice November cruise with the cat. We found it sails very well (see our report) We also found the Dinghy davits short and the need to take the line to reach the winch on deck. We did not find this a significant issue, but we had three men aboard. I can see where double handed with sick people this might be tougher. I also agree that their check out (not the sail part) can be a bit over the top.

Overall, we were satisfied with the CYOA experience, and have reserved the same cat again this November.

We also love Maho Bay/Francis Bay. It is, as you say, beautiful and very peaceful.
DawnB
Link to this postPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:43 am    

sail2wind wrote:
Many wheels have lock screw on the side of the wheel, which serves the same purpose, however this will not keep you on course, as you know. There are many reasons auto pilot is convenient. When motoring upwind, I am very comfortable at the helm with a book and auto pilot. We have furling main and holding an upwind course to let out the main, auto pilot is very helpful. The point being Brendt's rules are way over the top and would preclude us from chartering, if we chartered. Chris, Saildoggie and I chartered Sanctuary when Garvey owned her, Brendt was the "agent". As we literally took the boat from Garvey in CGB. He came aboard and talked to us like kids, actually kind of humorous. We then proceeded to sail to North sound straight through the forbidden Anguilla cut. tonguea

To each their own... I have no problem with his rules, obviously you do. Good thing you have your own boat, eh?
sail2wind
Link to this postPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:48 am    

why now Dawn, back to your old ways? eh
DawnB
Link to this postPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:26 pm    

sail2wind wrote:
why now Dawn, back to your old ways? eh

???
sail2wind
Link to this postPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 4:09 pm    

" I have no problem with his rules, obviously you do"

what rules? If Brendt decides to limit and lose his clientele, that's his prerogative. Many people have said they will no longer charter without autopilot.
Twanger
Link to this postPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 4:29 pm    

If I'm double-handing I want an autopilot.
For me it's both a comfort and safety issue.

On a boat that's 40+ feet, Barb cannot crank the jib down tight when we're tacking up-wind.
Also, she's more comfortable with me at the helm.
So generally when we tack she brings the jib over and gets it most of the way in.
Then I pop-on the autopilot and mosey over to help her crank it in the last few hard turns on the winch.

Then I can return to the helm and take control again.

If things really go pear-shaped I want the option of having the auto-pilot do the steering while I'm addressing whatever problem it is that needs addressing. Maybe it's as simple as crossed up winch where two people are handy, and my knot tying skills are required to rig an "unjam." Maybe it's something more where two of us are needed. Hard to predict in advance.

If we have 4 or more crew aboard, then having an autopilot is less of a thang.

If a boat has an autopilot but the charter company has decided in advance that I'm too incompetent to use it, well, I'm looking elsewhere. confused

My $0.02
Calypso Me
Link to this postPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 8:06 pm    

Everyone has criteria that they are comfortable with. This is not a right or wrong, it is a matter of what you are willing to have or not have.

I agree with Twanger, AP is a must on our charters. Years ago we had the strength to muscle stuff around. Not so much now. I don't want to hurt myself cause I want to keep on doing this as long as I can. If that means I need a few perks then bring it on.

Every charter company has its following. If Brendt doesn't want people to use his electronics so be it. It would piss me off it the boat was advertised with it then disabled.
DawnB
Link to this postPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 8:40 pm    

His name is Brent, BTW.

Like I said, if you don't like the way he does things, don't charter from him. He DOES NOT advertise that he has autopilot on the monohull, but the boat has it when you arrive, so I mentioned it in my original review of the boat because I thought it would make a difference to some people that he had it on the boat and did not allow you to use it, not to get in a pissing match with people who don't like him or his idea of how to run a charter company. For sailing around the BVI, I don't consider it "necessary" equipment.

If your boat was in charter with him, I bet you would appreciate the fact that he tries to keep things from breaking, rather than let anyone with a CC rent your boat. But being on the other side, it's easier to criticize I guess. Yes, he loses business, but those that he keeps look after his boats as if they were their own, that and repeat customers are how he stays in business.

I like his prices, I don't mind not having all the bells and whistles, and I charter from him. If you don't like it, don't charter from him, but don't keep harping on it. Pay more money and go somewhere else.
Robinmitchell
Link to this postPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 8:44 pm    

Wow. Just wow.

Will someone please pass the popcorn?
Calypso Me
Link to this postPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 9:08 pm    

Robinmitchell wrote:
Wow. Just wow.

rofl rofl

Every once in a while the sandbox gets a little messy.

Dawn, I did not intend to imply that he advertised electronics that were not available. I merely stated that if they were I would be pissed. I respect the fact that you like him and continue to charter from him for for your own reasons. It would be nice if you did the same for the rest of us who have other concerns
DawnB
Link to this postPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 9:17 pm    

Calypso Me wrote:
Robinmitchell wrote:
Wow. Just wow.

rofl rofl

Every once in a while the sandbox gets a little messy.

Dawn, I did not intend to imply that he advertised electronics that were not available. I merely stated that if they were I would be pissed. I respect the fact that you like him and continue to charter from him for for your own reasons. It would be nice if you did the same for the rest of us who have other concerns

I totally understand that you guys need what you need, I was only pointing out what I do/don't need, which is why I pointed out that if you don't like him, go somewhere else...

And I was trying to be clear that he DID NOT advertise autohelm, etc., as some people seem to want to see only what they think they read and not what I wrote, and then repeatedly say it over and over again. You can't fix stupid, but it wasn't directed at you at all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Trip Reports -> British Virgin Islands All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next, All
Page 2 of 3

Jump to:  

Terms of Use