BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
First Overnight Sail
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next, All  
Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Sailing and Navigation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Herve
Link to this postPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:23 pm    

Bozemangirl

If it fits your calendar try to do the overnight on a full moon...it's magic.
Dugg
Link to this postPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Note First Overnight Sail

Hi

Haven't done it recently, but it's quite magical. Of course, Lake Ontario isn't a reservoir so I guess this makes us a little less half baked. Must be nice to be so worldly wise. This kind of snarky comment belongs on TTOL and not here IMHO.

Peace
Dugg & Chris
Our VI pics are at http://picasaweb.google.com/papadugg and the 2012 pics are finally done
DawnB
Link to this postPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:16 pm    

sail2wind wrote:
I think you are half baked. Why would you sail at night on a lake?

Why wouldn't you? I lived between Lake Ontario & Erie for years, and loved sailing at night when I was able to. It's a different kind of beauty, but still beautiful.
sail2wind
Link to this postPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:10 pm    

I was thinking about flotsum, traps, and other unseen obstacles
DawnB
Link to this postPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:54 pm    

sail2wind wrote:
I was thinking about flotsum, traps, and other unseen obstacles

I've seen more of that on the ocean than I have on the Lakes!
Dugg
Link to this postPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Note First Overnight Sail

Hi

Not too many lobster traps on Lake Ontario (or any of the Great Lakes). Maybe a few dead smelt (eat to avoid). Always try to avoid folks trolling for coho, etc., but they're only there in the daytime. And, of course, it might be nice to avoid the occasional laker (usually well lit). O/W, no problem, mon! Very Happy

Peace
Dugg & Chris
Our VI pics are at http://picasaweb.google.com/papadugg and the 2012 pics are finally done
sail2wind
Link to this postPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:01 pm    

apologize guys, never sailed on a lake, had a 27' Ericson on the Chesapeake in the mid 70's, and that ain't no lake.
RickH
Link to this postPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:34 pm    

Herve wrote:
Bozemangirl

If it fits your calendar try to do the overnight on a full moon...it's magic.

Almost better than sex Rolling Eyes
Herve
Link to this postPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:54 am    

Actually Rick ..if you recall it's even better with sex....with norah jones playing....
DawnB
Link to this postPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:32 am    

Herve wrote:
Actually Rick ..if you recall it's even better with sex....with norah jones playing....

The two of you were together? TMI! LMAO
RickH
Link to this postPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:18 pm    

DawnB wrote:
Herve wrote:

Yep, sure enough. But before you get excided with the wrong idea Ė

We were delivering Herveís 410 Lagoon from Tortola to Miami with a crew of 6 aboard.

First time I ever saw an Ipod and first time I ever heard Nora. There aint nothing like being days from landfall in the middle of the night, either gliding through calm waters or getting the shit kicked out of you trying to get some sleep and listening to mellow music.

An Ipod and mellow music has since accompanied me on close to 50 night passages.

At Herve age Iím surprised he can remember details like that rofl rofl rofl rofl
Twanger
Link to this postPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:31 pm    

I spent 6 weeks as a student aboard the R/V Westward in 1977.

My favorite place to hang out at night (in good weather) was in the netting hanging under the bowsprit.

More often than not the ship would kick up all kinds of phosphorescence as she plowed through the water. Watching it was mesmerizing.
DawnB
Link to this postPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:38 pm    

RickH wrote:
DawnB wrote:
Herve wrote:

We were delivering Herveís 410 Lagoon from Tortola to Miami with a crew of 6 aboard.

First time I ever saw an Ipod and first time I ever heard Nora. There aint nothing like being days from landfall in the middle of the night, either gliding through calm waters or getting the shit kicked out of you trying to get some sleep and listening to mellow music.

An Ipod and mellow music has since accompanied me on close to 50 night passages.

At Herve age Iím surprised he can remember details like that rofl rofl rofl rofl

So...where did the sex come in?! Or maybe I don't want to know.... laugh
RickH
Link to this postPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:50 pm    

DawnB wrote:
RickH wrote:
DawnB wrote:
Herve wrote:

So...where did the sex come in?! Or maybe I don't want to know.... laugh

Geeeez

Itís a phrase in the US. Must not be to our northern neighbors.

Get over it
Twanger
Link to this postPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:01 pm    

There needs to be a "jerking your chain" emoticon so that it's obvious to everyone.

rofl

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Sailing and Navigation All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next, All
Page 2 of 3

Jump to:  

Terms of Use