BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Service Charge (tipping in disguise!)
Goto page 1, 2  Next, All  
Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Restaurants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DawnB
Link to this postPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Note Service Charge (tipping in disguise!)

So I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised that most restaurants that we dined at January 2013 in the BVI had a line on the bill stating something to the effect of... "a 15% service change has been added to your bill. If you feel this is not justified, please ask to speak to the manager".

We never bothered (even with the exceptionally poor service that we got at Pirates), and usually left more for great service (of which we had several times!), but I thought it was a step in the right direction.

I understand that some countries don't tip as a rule, so the "need" for it is there, but I also like that if I have a problem with the automatic 15%, I might have some recourse...
Calypso Me
Link to this postPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:30 pm    

I think 15% is an adequate tip for adequate service. I have had some superior service and some really crappy service. I gladley tip extra for someone who goes the extra steps but it irks me to have an auto tip placed for someone who clearly is not interested in doing an adequate job. I'm glad that they are starting to give an option if you think the service is below par.

Was that in all of the places you went to Dawn? Maybe some consistancy will bring better service and happier patrons.
walker
Link to this postPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:35 pm    

Automatic service charges irk me, too. If there is any already on the bill - no matter how small - I will not consider another cent.
sail2wind
Link to this postPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:43 pm    

Definitely a thorn in the side if not told in advance. We had this happen at BEYC on a $400 tab and a $60 service charge in the tax line. The service from the get go was horrible. They sent us to the bar with less then 1/2 seated, trying to sell us drinks. We said we would drink plenty when we were seated. Twenty minutes later as we were walking out the door, they seated us. Surly old bitch, gheez, feels so good to say that without being censored. Probably the worst service we have ever had in BVI. When we questioned the $60 tip, she said she only gets a small cut of the service charge, the rest goes to the staff. Too bad, we thought $60 was way to much for the surly and lengthy service. BTW, we would usually tip $100 on $400 if the service was excellent
HillsideView
Link to this postPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:08 pm    

Myett's has dropped the 15% service charge and the service has picked up, at least when we were there in January.
kentth
Link to this postPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:02 pm    

I normally tip 20% or if the bill is small, I might tip more. But if I see it automatically added then that is all they get. If the service is bad I have been known to cross it out and re-figure the bill, especially if I know it is a tip.

Kent
JasonHelmbrecht
Link to this postPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:58 pm    

Not a bad idea to ask what the tip/servicecharge/tax is for when you see it on a bill in the BVI. Don't be surprised if the server does not see any of that charge.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that Neptunes passes the full amount on to the staff that is doing the serving. Nice job, Pam!!
DawnB
Link to this postPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:09 am    

Calypso Me wrote:
Was that in all of the places you went to Dawn? Maybe some consistency will bring better service and happier patrons.

I remember that it was NOT spelled out at Drake's Anchorage. I also think Sebastian's did not spell it out, but I can't remember for sure.

I think everywhere else it was. Unfortunately, I didn't keep the actual bills, just the credit card receipts.

I still think this is a step in the right direction - better than calling it a tax or trying to hide it from the unsuspecting tourist.

I still balk at the auto tip - no incentive to treat someone well if you know you're getting a tip anyway, but we aren't going to change the way people pay wait staff in a short time, so any small improvement is better than nothing...

I was chased out into the street once (funnily enough in New Orleans!) when I refused to pay the automatic service charge on a bill, and they threatened me with the police...I told them that I would be happy to wait for the police so that we could discuss the for fraudulent charges and I could report them to the IRS for unpaid income...they certainly changed their tune then!! LMAO
Calypso Me
Link to this postPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:24 am    

I understand the concept of sharing the gratuity with cooks and other staff but I think they never see it or only a small fraction of it. Not sure if there is a good answer.
sail2wind
Link to this postPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:28 am    

"Don't be surprised if the server does not see any of that charge. " I would be shocked, in my 40 years in the restaurant business, never heard of this practice.

Rita, I do not understand the practice at all, refer to above, NEVER. There is a great answer, "tipped" employees get tipped, full pay staff do not. I know this is how the U.S. does it and other Asian and European countries do not. Due to the strong lobby of the Restaurant Association, tipped employees can be paid less then minimum wage. The restaurant business is very labor intensive, usually including a large front of the house staff. If I knew an owner was taking a cut of the service charge, I would never eat there. don't feel bad a server does not make minimum wage, in a busy restaurant they due quite well.
Norman
Link to this postPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:23 am    

When we were at Potter's I added more tip on as we all loved it and the waitress worked hard for us even thought they had a very large group come in...they had already added in their service so Sam had to come out and explain about reversing the charge etc to add in the tip....kind of a PITB!
Twanger
Link to this postPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:49 pm    

I usually tip good servers 20%, so if the service fee is 15% I give another 5%.

I do always assume that these additional charges are for the server.
If they are not then the charges shouldn't be on the bill. (IMHO)
walker
Link to this postPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:07 pm    

I will not name them, but I do know for absolute certain that some restaurants here routinely add a service charge, 100% of which goes to the owner, and not one cent to the wait or kitchen staff.
DawnB
Link to this postPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:44 pm    

I'd like to know which restaurants they are, as I would not go there if I knew for sure.

Half the time I think the servers out and out lie just to get mo' money!
sail2wind
Link to this postPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:55 pm    

Walker, that sucks and I also would never eat there
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Restaurants All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Goto page 1, 2  Next, All
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

Terms of Use