BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Need advice on general sailing time expectations

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Sailing and Navigation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrayMouser
Link to this postPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Note Need advice on general sailing time expectations

First time to BVI, coming in May 2013 for 7 nights out of Road Town on a Footloose 44.3 Beneteau monohull. Planning an itinerary and curious what I can expect average speed over water to be when sailing. Second time crewing, with first time about 5 years ago in St. Vincent and the Grenadines on a similar 45' Beneteau. Will have a local Captain with us.

As an example, if I were moored at the Bight, could I get snorkeling at The Indians and Pelican, snorkeling at RMS Rhone on Salt Island, and on to Marina Cay done leisurely in one passage? Would there be time in there to stop in at the Baths as well?

If i wanted to get from The Bight to The Bitter End directly, what estimates of time could someone give me?

Curious in Denver,
Darrel (Gray Mouser) Kent
GrayMouser
Link to this postPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:05 am    

Not that an itinerary is necessary, of course. I view it more as a guideline for "focused" meandering.
I anticipate adjustments once we are underway. It is only a 7 day cruise, after all. We know going in we will not be able to get everywhere we wish to get to, and we nay wish to vary the pace, or return to favorites.

Treating it like the old Disneyland ticket books. Sorting places as E tickets, D tickets, ... You had to make tradeoffs there as well. Part of what made it fun.
NCSailor
Link to this postPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:11 am    

The 44.3 looks like a tub but its a surprisingly good sailing boat. That said speed over ground and velocity made good are the holy grail of sailing. On the sail you mentioned you will likely be sailing upwind. Your VMG with tacks will be around 3-4 knots even in good wind. Here is a link that shows approximate distances http://bvipirate.com/SailingDist.html. You can certainly make the stops you mention in one day but you will ave to work at it. Keep in mind that the Baths can get crowded in the afternoon and mooring balls hard to find. Better to plan a morning stop at the Baths.
On more efficient points of sail like the reach from North Sound to Anegada your VMG will be more like 6-7 knots and since you will be sailing more or less in a straight line you can predict your schedule more accurately. So the answer to your question is each leg of your trip will be different depending on the wind. Don't over schedule as the goal is to have fun.
GrayMouser
Link to this postPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:02 pm    

Outstanding. Thank you for the advice and counsel. I very much appreciate it, especially the tip on The Baths. We absolutely are looking forward to that stop.
kentth
Link to this postPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:31 pm    

We normally do the Baths after an overnight at Cooper or Marina Cay. Usually get there mid morning. Gives you time to explore, and then it is an early trip into North Sound.

Kent
DawnB
Link to this postPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:20 am    

We usually do the Baths by land - rent a car from North Sound and tour the island. If you go very early or after 3pm, the tours are usually not there yet or gone and it's very quiet.
GrayMouser
Link to this postPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:47 pm    

DawnB wrote:
We usually do the Baths by land - rent a car from North Sound and tour the island. If you go very early or after 3pm, the tours are usually not there yet or gone and it's very quiet.

Interesting idea. Had not crossed my mind.

Thank you!
mikonop
Link to this postPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:33 am    

If you go by car, be sure to take your BVI park pass from the boat with you,m saves you a few bucks when you reach the Baths
Twanger
Link to this postPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:51 pm    

Another thing you want to factor into your travels is time spent messing about while you're leaving or entering an anchorage.
While it might take one hour to sail 6 knots on a beam-reach, by the time you add-up getting off the mooring, setting sail, sailing, dropping sail, finding and picking up a mooring your one-hour trip has become two hours.
GrayMouser
Link to this postPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:42 pm    

Twanger wrote:
Another thing you want to factor into your travels is time spent messing about while you're leaving or entering an anchorage.
While it might take one hour to sail 6 knots on a beam-reach, by the time you add-up getting off the mooring, setting sail, sailing, dropping sail, finding and picking up a mooring your one-hour trip has become two hours.

True. Thanks for the reminder!
reef_fish
Link to this postPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:35 pm    

GrayMouser, my family and I are chartering a Beneteau 44.3 Monohull from Footloose in 2 weeks. How did you like the boat and Footloose?
NCSailor
Link to this postPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:04 pm    

Chartered the 44.3 a half dozen times from the Moorings. It's beamy and a bit of a tub. It's also surprisingly fast and fun to sail. Not tender. You will enjoy it.
GrayMouser
Link to this postPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Note Beneteau 44.3 monohull

Loved the boat. Captain Steven was fantastic. Footloose was friendly and helpful.
GrayMouser
Link to this postPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:56 pm    

reef_fish wrote:
GrayMouser, my family and I are chartering a Beneteau 44.3 Monohull from Footloose in 2 weeks. How did you like the boat and Footloose?

We will be back this May 17-25. Doing another 44foot monohull. That is how much we liked it. I have zero complaints about it. Sails well and surprisingly fast. We had several days of great winds and long sails with full speed tacking as if we were in the America's Cup. Fun as hell.
reef_fish
Link to this postPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:32 pm    

That's fantastic! I'm champing at the bit!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Sailing and Navigation All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use