BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
10-day Itinerary - all comments welcome

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Sailing and Navigation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kegoangoango
Link to this postPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Note 10-day Itinerary - all comments welcome

Okay, so I played around with Port by Boats to build a 10-day itinerary. I have no idea if this is doable assuming "typical" winds in Oct. Naturally, this is Plan A and is flexible to us, but it does include what we think we want to see/do.

If you see something missing or too slow (beating all day), please feel free to put in all your opinions - that's what I'm wanting.

Thanks,

(I removed the junction waypoints because they're really a guestimation and therefore the distances will be guestimations)

1 Waypoint Conch Charters

5 Waypoint 1.5 NM 1.5 8 The Bight, Willy T's - Norman Island (Sunday Night)
Day Total 8
------

7 Waypoint 0.7 NM 0.7 1.2 The Indians

9 Waypoint 4.3 NM 4.3 6.4 The Wreck of the Rhone - Salt Island

13 Waypoint 1.6 NM 1.6 14.6 The Bitter End Yacht Club - Virgin Gorda (Monday Night)
Day Total 22.2
-----

19 Waypoint 1.2 NM 1.2 11.4 The Baths - Virgin Gorda

25 Waypoint 0.1 NM 0.1 13.9 Leverick Bay; Michael Beans - Virgin Gorda(Tuesday Night)
Day Total 25.3
-----

29 Waypoint 0.4 NM 0.4 13.8 Anegada (Wednesday Night)
Day Total 13.8

32 Waypoint 0.6 NM 0.6 14.9 The Dogs

36 Waypoint 0.6 NM 0.6 7.1 Monkey Point - Guana Island

39 Waypoint 0.6 NM 0.6 7.6 Cane Garden Bay - Tortola (Thursday Night)
Day Total 29.6
-----

44 Waypoint 0.5 NM 0.5 19.3 Leverick Bay - Virgin Gorda (Friday Night Pig Roast)
Day Total 19.3
-----

49 Waypoint 0.3 NM 0.3 10 Trellis Bay - Tortola (Saturday Night)
Day Total 10
-----

55 Waypoint 0.5 NM 0.5 14.5 Soggy Dollar - White Bay, Jost Van Dyke

57 Waypoint 0.8 NM 0.8 1.4 Foxy's - Great Harbour, Jost Van Dyke / BVI Customs (Sunday Night)
Day Total 15.9
-----

60 Waypoint 0.5 NM 0.5 8 USVI Customs (Cruz Bay)

63 Waypoint 0.9 NM 0.9 2.8 Snorkeling

69 Waypoint 0.4 NM 0.4 12 Skinny Legs - Coral Bay, St. Johns (Monday night)
Day Total 22.8
-----

76 Waypoint 0.3 NM 0.3 10.9 USVI Customs (Cruz Bay, St. Johns)

79 Waypoint 4.1 NM 4.1 6.3 BVI Customs - West End, Tortola

80 Waypoint 0.9 NM 0.9 0.9 Sopers Hole (Tuesday Night)
Day Total 18.1
-----

86 Waypoint 0.3 NM 0.3 8.3 Conch Charters
Day Total 8.3
-----

Total distance = 194 NM
DawnB
Link to this postPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:19 pm    

Whoa!

I'm assuming that you want to hit most of these places on specific nights?

On a 10 day from Conch, I would do Norman on my last night, instead of my first. Go to Cooper the first night, (or Buck Island is a nice quiet anchorage if it's calm), if you want to sail to the Baths, do it from there on your way to Leverick, spend two nights in NS and two on Anegada from there. You can do the Dogs, then Trellis from Anegada, Monkey Point is close by for a snorkel before sailing to CGB or JVD, Sopers (if you need to) & Norman, and your back to the base. It seems like a lot of backtracking - you'll probably find that you don't have that much energy to do everything in the order you want to, even if the winds and waves are going in the right direction.

I've been disappointed when trying to "plan" certain days for certain things, and frustrated because we had to be somewhere because we made plans for certain days to meet up with certain people, so now, I definitely sail on ilon time. If we see you, we see you, if we get there, we do it. If we don't, there's always next time. Smile

Are you diving the Rhone? If not, I would not bother if the winds/waves are up, vis will be poor for snorkeling. Salt Island is a neat spot, but I wouldn't go out of your way to get there.

I would leave out the USVI unless you really want to go there, then cut a day at North Sound & Anegada to do so.
kegoangoango
Link to this postPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:46 pm    

Thanks, Dawn.

We didn't really have any specific reason to be at a location on any specific day except for Friday night pig roast at Leverick (just for the fun).

I expected that we would actually rent a car on Virgin Gorda and drive around, including The Baths, for the day, instead of sailing (That would be the two nights on NS).

On the planning site the only back tracking I saw was the return on Friday to Leverick for the pig roast.

Heading around St. John's was to revisit where we visited in '97. Definitely, not necessary.

I wasn't even thinking about going to Cooper, as I didn't read anything that made me think we really wanted to visit. Looks like a nice island, but not a "special" place (I might have missed something).

We know any "planning" is completely up in the air (pun intended). We might not even get to sail; Who know's?

What is there to do on Anegada for two days/ 1 1/2 days?

Thanks!
walker
Link to this postPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:33 pm    

Sounds ambitious and over-planned to me. I prefer to have a loose list of places that I want to see and have the flexibility of spending more time if I like it - or moving right on along if I don't.

I do think Cooper is worthy of being a night in a 10-night trip. We always made Cooper out last night out, back in to Road Town from there. It is an easy downwind sail, and the perfect time to pack up to leave the boat.

I don't think I can be completely objective about what to do on Anegada for a day and a half. I call it home, am on the island about 140 days a year, and it is virtually impossible to get me to go anywhere else because we have so much to do. We very rarely have a day with nothing to do. All you have to do is come ashore and be a bit adventurous.
DawnB
Link to this postPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:55 pm    

Most people go completely counter clockwise.

From Anegada to JVD is the usual route, not to Trellis.

CGB to NS can be a beat, although in Oct., you never know.

You put a WP in for the Baths so that's why I thought you'd be sailing there!

Cooper has great snorkelling @ Cistern Point, and we usually see turtles by the docks on the East side, and a great Happy Hour (2 for 1 drinks).

You have to go to Anegada to understand how you can spend 2 days (or more!) with no problem. The iguana project, the flamingos, driving around the island and investigating the lane ways along the road, Loblolly, Flash of Beauty, Cow Wreck, talking to the locals... It's all good, and I miss it every time I don't get a chance to go...
walker
Link to this postPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:42 pm    

CGB to NS is almost always a beat. But - we had two weeks of fairly strong west wind this past October. Those fall hurricanes got everything confused.
kegoangoango
Link to this postPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:56 pm    

Thanks! I really appreciate all the input! It does looked over planned, but that's only to layout a "what if everything went perfect". We never expect any of our trips to go perfect - but we do like to plan.

It is a counter-clockwise trip around the BVIs - except for the Friday trip back from CGB to NS (a pig roast sounds pretty good to us Smile ). But if the wind is E we won't beat it back, we'd just stay on Anegada the extra day (Thursday night) and then just head back to NS on Friday.

Removing St. Johns would allow us to hit Sopers earlier and then hit Norman for the last night for the run back to Road Town.

Basically, we got a list of "must sees" created from all the lists on the internet:

• The Bight (Norman Island)
• The Caves (Norman Island)
• Willie T’s (Norman Island)
• The Indians
• The Wreck of The Rhone (Salt Island)
• The Baths (Virgin Gorda [take Nation Park Permit])
• The Top of the Baths (Virgin Gorda)
• Leverick Bay (North Sound, Virgin Gorda)
• Bitter End Yacht Club (North Sound, Virgin Gorda)
• Saba Rock
• Anegada Reef Hotel, Loblolly Bay, Flash of Beauty, Cow Wreck Beach (Anegada)
• The Dogs/Monkey Point
• Trellis Bay
• Foxy’s, (Great Harbour, Jost Van Dyke)
• Soggy Dollar (White Bay, Jost Van Dyke)
• Quito's Gazebo (Cane Garden Bay)
Herve
Link to this postPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:59 pm    

Just a quick comment.

You have planned some days with 20+ nm and a snorkeling stop or 2...and some backtracking.
i would recommend to keep the sailing under 4 hours so you can relax and not worry about catching the next mooring before dark or before it's full in the case of Cooper.
kegoangoango
Link to this postPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:19 pm    

So, here's an updated plan. It's hard for me to think 20nm as far. It takes 25nm to get from Seabrook out past the Galveston jetti. However, I'm thinking "relax" now Smile

Sunday Conch Charters
7.2nm The Bight, Willy T's - Norman Island (Sunday Night)

Monday The Indians
The Wreck of the Rhone - Salt Island
8.6nm (Could stop at Cooper Island for the Night)

Mon or Tues The Baths - Virgin Gorda
15.8nm Spanish Town - Virgin Gorda (Monday Night)
(7.2nm if coming from Cooper)

Tues or Wed. 7.7nm The Bitter End Yacht Club - Virgin Gorda (Tuesday Night)

Wed or Thur 14.7nm Anegada (Wednesday Night)

(Could stay at Anegada Thursday night or head to Leverick)

Friday 13.9nm Leverick Bay - Virgin Gorda (Friday Night Pig Roast)

Saturday The Dogs
9.7nm Trellis Bay - Tortola (Saturday Night)

Sunday Monkey Point - Guana Island
10.1nm CGB - Tortola (Sunday Night)

Monday Soggy Dollar - White Bay, Jost Van Dyke
Foxy's - Great Harbour, Jost Van Dyke / BVI Customs
13.5nm Sopers Hole (Monday Night)

Tuesday (Could stay at Sopers or head back to Norman, Cooper
or Conch Charter for Tuesday Night)

Wed 8.3nm Conch Charters
DawnB
Link to this postPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:49 pm    

Much easier itinerary, and allows for more flexibility if you're enjoying the lunch stops...
kentth
Link to this postPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:31 pm    

Looks like one of our normal itineraries. Very doable, it also gives you some room for flexibility. We will normally throw in a stop at Tellis and or Marina Cay.

Just take things as them come and if something occurs that you don't stay on schedule, don't push it. One year we were hoping to leave from Saba (make sure you snorkel Eustacia Reef) for Anegada, the weather didn't cooperate, so we spent an extra day in North Sound, weather cleared and had a better trip the next day.

Just kick back, don't be in a hurry and remember you are on island time.

Kent
Herve
Link to this postPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:33 pm    

Great revision

I would skip Spanish town unless you need to provision again
walker
Link to this postPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:47 pm    

Not seeing any reason for BVI customs on JVD. I would pass on Soper's also - cannot think of any reason to want to be there overnight.
kegoangoango
Link to this postPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:04 am    

Herve wrote:
Great revision

I would skip Spanish town unless you need to provision again

I added the Spanish town so we wouldn't have an all-day beat (15-16nm without tacking) up to Bitter End. But, I kind of left that open so if the wind and crew are right we can go all the way up and then possibly spend two days at Anegada.

The BVI Customs was a leftover from the original when I thought about going around St. Johns. We won't be going through customs.

I don't know what happened to Trellis or Monkey Point. I thought I had left those on there. Might be my error using the website. I'll see what I did.
kentth
Link to this postPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:30 am    

If you get to Baths, in the morning, we normally have no problem getting to North Sound by mid to late afternoon. We have even done the Baths, made a quick stop at one of the Dogs, and Still pulled into North Sound.

Personally we like Saba better then Bitter End. You get water and ice for the amount of your mooring fee. And it is right next to the Bitter End. We also use that as a jumping off place to take the dingy out to the the E. reef. We will snorkel E. Reef and around the island, good snorkeling.

Sometimes if we get into or away from late the Baths, we will stop at Marina Cay or Tellis. If you need to re provision Tellis is can be a good location.

Kent
kegoangoango
Link to this postPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:53 am    

kentth wrote:
If you get to Baths, in the morning, we normally have no problem getting to North Sound by mid to late afternoon. We have even done the Baths, made a quick stop at one of the Dogs, and Still pulled into North Sound.

Personally we like Saba better then Bitter End. You get water and ice for the amount of your mooring fee. And it is right next to the Bitter End. We also use that as a jumping off place to take the dingy out to the the E. reef. We will snorkel E. Reef and around the island, good snorkeling.

Sometimes if we get into or away from late the Baths, we will stop at Marina Cay or Tellis. If you need to re provision Tellis is can be a good location.

Kent

Good to know on the timing - I would prefer to head right up to NS to get the option of 2-days on Anegada.

Saba is a good option. Do they have showers? I put the BEYC on the trip so the girls can get a "real" shower after a couple of days of boat showers (just in case).
kentth
Link to this postPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:04 pm    

I don't remember. You might send them an email and ask. The funny thing is you have to be careful which ball you pick up. Some of the BEYC and Saba balls are mixed together. So you have to double check which ball you pick up.

Kent
kegoangoango
Link to this postPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:30 am    

kentth wrote:
I don't remember. You might send them an email and ask. The funny thing is you have to be careful which ball you pick up. Some of the BEYC and Saba balls are mixed together. So you have to double check which ball you pick up.

Kent

Thanks, I recall reading this in the Cruising Guide.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Sailing and Navigation All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use