BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
To AC or not to AC?

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Charter Boats
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kegoangoango
Link to this postPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:34 am    Post subject: Note To AC or not to AC?

Pretty simple question.

We're heading out on Oct 6 for 10 nights. We are trying to decide if we really need AC or not. With our limited budget we can get a nice Cat without AC or a nice monohull (42'-45') with AC.

Would the air flow in a Cat be sufficient (or better) to not have AC?

Our biggest concern is sleeping, as we expect to not use AC during the day.

All comments are welcome!

Thanks,
Larry
walker
Link to this postPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:20 am    

The answer is not simple. Nights in October are usually very comfortable, with little or no rain. The overall comfort factor of a cat make it a no-brainer for us. Now - that said - we have never had a boat with AC. Out of hundreds of nights, we might have really wished for AC on a few of them, but not many.

On the other hand - if part of your crew is "high maintenance", then having the AC may be a bigger factor. Even so, - again - the overall comfort of a cat is so much greater that I would think that it would outweigh the AC comfort at night.

I would take the cat.
Herve
Link to this postPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:42 pm    

The only time you really need A/C is in the marina as you may not have the right airflow. Just like Walker I have felt the need only a couple times in the summer when we had no wind what so ever.
The other thing I have found is that when you have A/C you tend to use it during the day as well and never get a chance to get acclimated. So it's 5:30...gorgeous sunset and everybody is inside....
DawnB
Link to this postPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:55 pm    

I agree. Never used it, only needed it a few nights out of all of our charters.

However, lots of people do want it, I would just rather spend the funds on drinks/fun instead of A/C....

2 more sleeps!
walker
Link to this postPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:16 pm    

One thing that we always do when we board for a charter is take the time to balance the cabin fan blades. There should be some tape in the boat's tool box. Turn on each fan, and if it is noisy because it is out of balance, add tape to the blade tips until you have it balanced. It is pretty much trial and error, but does not take long. Add a small piece to one blade. If it gets worse, take it off and add it to the next blade. When you have the blade that gives you the best effect, add more tape until you get it as best as possible. You may have to repeat (tape on two blade tips) to get it at the very best. When balanced, the fans are very effective and not overly noisy.
Twanger
Link to this postPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:56 pm    

We always get Gen/AC in the June-Oct time-frame.
It doesn't seem necessary at other times.
kegoangoango
Link to this postPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:44 pm    

Thanks for the input.

We're not a high maintenance group and we spend all day "outside" or without AC when in the Caribbean. However, our experience in Oct is not like Walker's. We do see rain (although generally not a lot) and the last three years have been downright frog-stranglers. In 09 we stayed in a villa without AC on Dominica and had to close the windows at night because of the heavy rains.

But, I think the Cat does offset the AC. I've sent an email to The Captain's Compass, but haven't heard back yet. Does anyone know if they charter in Oct?
Twanger
Link to this postPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:21 pm    

I should point out that we almost never run the AC during the day.
There's a number of reasons that we use it at night.

We start it up around 4-5pm so people people can get showers and towel off without sweating.

It also is helpful to have AC while cooking.

I have sleep apnea and use the generator to run my CPAP machine.

Lastly and most importantly it really helps me sleep soundly, and I don't sleep all that well. Part of this is because I sleep better when I'm cool. The other part of this is avoiding the 3am hatch drills that invariably occur during passing showers in the night.
kegoangoango
Link to this postPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:59 pm    

I agree with all your points (although none of us have a CPAP). If I never hear back from The Captain's Compass or if they don't charter in Oct., then it's kind of a moot point as the other charter company Cats are out of our price range.
DawnB
Link to this postPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:18 pm    

I'm pretty sure Brent charters all year round. At the hotel in Buffalo now, waiting for a flight out tomorrow at 0 dark 30....

Will ask him when I see him on Sunday if you haven't got an answer yet...
kegoangoango
Link to this postPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:07 am    

You are very lucky to be leaving now! (You'll get this after you arrive!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Charter Boats All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use