BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Necker Island passage

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Sailing and Navigation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
secondwind
Link to this postPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Note Necker Island passage

Just wondering if anyone has gone through Necker Island Passage and if there are any concerns about doing so. On the charts it looks pretty straight forward.
Herve
Link to this postPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:13 am    

No problem doing it with good visibility. My charts were "off" so the chartplotter showed me sailing over prickly pear.....
secondwind
Link to this postPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Note necker island passage

Thanks for your reply. What I would like to do is go along the east side of Virgin Gorda, heading north. Turn North West. Round Virgin Gorda from the east and go between horseshoe reef and Virgin Gorda. Proceed north of Necker Island and then turn south leaving Necker island to the east. I would like to eventually anchor just to north of Prickly Pear between Eustatia Island and Prickly Pear. Have you ever rounded Virgin Gorda from the east. and if so do you have any suggestions.
walker
Link to this postPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:59 pm    

That route should be easy. Why bother going north of Necker, though?
secondwind
Link to this postPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:29 pm    

Well we want to fish the south drop off east of Virgin Gorda. When coming around the top of Virgin Gorda from the east I thought that staying north of Necker would be a safer route, Are you saying that it is navigable to go south of Necker.
Walker just to let you know we are avid fishermen and love your fishing videos. It is a dream of Sandra's to catch a tarpon. We should be in your neck of the woods around January 16th. We will say hi if we see you at cow wreck. Fish on!!
walker
Link to this postPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:56 pm    

Plenty water south of Necker (50-60'). The channel is about 300-400 yards wide.. I am assuming that you have a good chart. Otherwise, approaching from north of Necker would be a safer route.

We think we will be leaving here early on the morning of January 18. Drop by if you get here before then.
secondwind
Link to this postPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:08 pm    

thanks for the advise Walker. We will definitely stop by to say hi if you are still there. I have one more question for you. We love to snorkel. we may rent a car or taxi it around the island. Where would you say is the best snorkeling spot from the beach and are there any good ones that we can get to by water in the dinghy.
walker
Link to this postPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:10 pm    

The best beach snorkeling is at Jack Bay (just west of Loblolly Bay), and at Flash of Beauty (east end of Loblolly Bay).

There are no places that I recommend trying to take a dinghy for snorkeling. If the sea is flat, you can go south to the reef we call Prawny Shoal (about a mile or so south of the Setting Point anchorage). You will be disappointed there, though. Not much out there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Sailing and Navigation All times are CST (GMT - 6 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use