BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Beneteau 473 (3 cab) vs. Hunter 42cc Pass (2 cab)

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Charter Boats
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kegoangoango
Link to this postPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject:  Beneteau 473 (3 cab) vs. Hunter 42cc Pass (2 cab)

I wasn't sure where to put this question/post, so since it has something to do with charter boats I stuck it here (Walker, feel free to move it to a better location).

We are two couples with one guy 6'2". Our *want* was the Alegria Del Mar, but apparently it is under "sale pending" and should be sold and out of fleet before our trip.

Next we wanted the CYOA Hunter 45CC Passage - but it's not available in Oct.

So, we're considering the Conch Hunter 42CC (2-cab) or the BVI Charters Beneteau 473 (3-cab).

Our biggest concern is the cabin size (my wife doesn't like low ceilings and the big cabin has to go to the big guy). I think the 473 would be a better all-around boat, but is the smaller aft cabin(s) a real problem? Does the extra 4' offset the smaller cabin/extra head?

Any comments, opinions, suggestions, insights, etc. are greatly appreciated.
NCSailor
Link to this postPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:06 pm    

I am not familiar with the Hunter 42cc but I have sailed the Ben 473. It's a good performing boat that was not designed specifically for the charter trade so its less of "tub" than some charter boats. The extra length doesn't help much with the rear cabins as you still have to crawl in due to the lack of headroom. The galley is very spacious with alot of light and the cockpit is very large. If it was me I would take the 473 over the 42cc.
walker
Link to this postPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:44 pm    

We have sailed a few of the various models that preceded the 473. They were - in my opinion - the very best sailing monohulls available in the charter fleet.

We have also sailed the 42cc and it just didn't work for me. Not only was there poor headroom below, there was poor headroom in the cockpit. I'm 6'1" and could never get used to having to stoop in the cockpit. Our 42cc sailed like a dog, too, but I attributed a lot of that to the in-mast furling that it was equipped with.

For me it is a no-brainer. 473 all the way. Hint: If the 473 is configured with one forward and 2 aft cabins, take the forward cabin.
kegoangoango
Link to this postPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:23 pm    

Walker wrote:
For me it is a no-brainer. 473 all the way. Hint: If the 473 is configured with one forward and 2 aft cabins, take the forward cabin.

And herein lies the rub. Since my buddy is 6'2" I doubt he can fit in the aft cabin. I'm hoping the starboard side aft cabin has reasonable headroom for me (6') and that after you crawl into bed there is a couple of feet of headroom. My wife doesn't like closed in spaces like the above cab in an RV. If we have a couple of feet she'll be fine.
walker
Link to this postPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:03 pm    

Don't fret TOO much about the headroom below. You shouldn't be spending much time standing in those staterooms. The bunks are plenty comfortable.

I liked the forward cabin because it had unbelievably good ventilation. Our boats had an anchor locker forward of the forepeak stateroom. The locker had small sliding doors that opened aft into the stateroom. In a pouring rain, you could close the stateroom hatches but leave the hatch on that anchor locker open, those doors open, and you had breeze without water in the forward stateroom.
kegoangoango
Link to this postPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:50 am    

Walker wrote:
I liked the forward cabin because it had unbelievably good ventilation.

Hopefully, ventilation won't be too much of a problem because the boat has AC/Gen. We learned many years ago that we had to have AC at least in the sleeping rooms. With the "vertical rain" that often occurs durng October, having good ventilation didn't help much because we had to shut the windows.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> British Virgin Islands -> Charter Boats All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use