BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Sailboard

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Live Cruising Guide -> Questions, Answers, Tips, Notes, and Logs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robertsnole
Link to this postPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject:  Sailboard

Thanks for the anchorage information on the previous post. Here is a new topic. On our trip next month, I wanted to pass some limin time teaching myself how to sailboard. We are using Sunsail and the vendors they have suggested do not have any to offer and concentrate on dive equipment. Do you have any recommendations? I was looking for a beginner set up.

Also, what are the good anchorages to sailboard in? Anegada and the North Sound have had flat wave action in previous visits.

Thanks,
Jim
walker
Link to this postPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:11 pm    

Jim: Boardsailing BVI is your answer. Jeremy Wright (email jwright@caribsurf.com) is your man. He owns Boardsailing BVI, as well as the Trellis Bay Cybercafe. He is a long-time friend of mine, and he is a BVI Pirate member.

He has boards that are ideal for starting out.

I strongly recommend taking a two-hour lesson with him. Trust me, it will pay off big-time, and let you avoid a ton of frustration. By the end of the lesson, you should be able to safely sail. Not well, but should should be able to at least get back to where you started. Without this capability, you need someone at the ready in the dinghy.

The Trellis Bay/Marina Cay area is very good for learning. Basically, for your first few hours on the board, you want to be in wind of less than 10 knots. This pretty much means you need a sheltered area -- like Trellis Bay.

The North Sound is a great place to sail, but you will be sailing in winds of 15 knots or better, so you need to have your basic baord skills pretty much wired.

My absolute favorite place for windsurfing is off Setting Point at Anegada. But, to sail there out beyond the channel, you have to be very good. You can also sail around fairly easily in the anchorage off Neptune's. Inside the anchorage off of the ARH is way too crowded -- you will spend all of your time trying to avoid boats, anchor lines and mooring lines.

Off the west end is a little easier. The water is flatter, and the wind is lighter near shore, but the wind blows away from the shore, which is NOT good for a beginner.
robertsnole
Link to this postPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:31 am    

Walker,
Thanks for the contact and advice. I emailed him a when I got your suggestion, but have not heard back yet. We leave Saturday morning. I may just walk over there to see if he has anything available when I get off the plane before we catch a ride over to Sunsail.

Thanks,
Jim
walker
Link to this postPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:18 pm    

Heck -- give him a call. 284-495-2447
robertsnole
Link to this postPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:38 am    

I gave them a call and talked Matt. He was great and I think we are set. My emailing problem relates to the earlier address. The email they seem to look at currently is jwright@surfbvi.com. Now, if I can just pull off an successful escape from the office I will be in paradise in just two days!

Thanks,
Jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Live Cruising Guide -> Questions, Answers, Tips, Notes, and Logs All times are CST (GMT - 6 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use