BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Honeymoon fly fishing

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Tight Lines -> Fly Fishing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TXflyguy
Link to this postPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:54 am    Post subject: Note Honeymoon fly fishing

I'm new to the forum and was referred over here from another forum. Heading to BVIs in October for my honeymoon and we will be doing 7 days on Peter island and 3 days on virgin gorda. Hoping y'all might be able to provide a little general info about fly fishing in the islands. Plan on doing a guided trip but would also enjoy some DIY stuff. Bringing an 8wt, 10wt and spinning rod. I have fished Belize and Ascension bay on fly so I have a little experience but very much still a novice at chasing bones. I assume I might be able to rent a skiff or kayak? We are very much looking forward to visiting and enjoying our stay in yalls paradise. Thanks in advance!

-Chris
walker
Link to this postPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:48 am    

I don't know much about Peter Island - except that I cannot afford to stay there!

But - flyfishing in general: If you can find a place that has some patch coral within casting or wading distance, try using clousers on #4 or #6. I like yellow over white, chartreuse over white, and chrome. Work edges of reef.

I would be very cautious wading Peter - I thin I recall there being pretty heavy numbers of spiny sea urchins on the islands on the south side of the Drake channel.

Virgin Gorda: Access to fishable places without a boat might be difficult. I would try the Maho Bay area (just north of Savannah Bay).

A guided trip will be your best bet.

Of course, if you could get up here to Anegada....
TXflyguy
Link to this postPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:06 am    

I have no idea how we are going to afford Peter island either. I fully plan on taking a day trip up to Anegada and I'm probably going to book a guide ther. I assume we can take a water taxi or a ferry over to Anegada? We also hope for nice weather during our stay. Thanks for your help walker.

-Chris
walker
Link to this postPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:41 pm    

Water taxi to Anegada? LOL. Only ways to Anegada are air charter from Beef Island (about $800 round trip) or ferry from Road Town ($50 per person round trip). Ferry leaves Road Town at 6:45 AM. gets here a little after 8. Afternoon ferry leaves here about 5, gets back to RT around 6:15-6:30. The ferry only runs three days a week - M-W-F.

BUT - if you get here, we will quite likely be here. Danny Vanterpool is your guide here.
HillsideView
Link to this postPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:58 pm    

If you aren't locked in to Peter Island, look at some Anegada stay options. Think I'd go nutty on Peter Island after 48 hours.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Tight Lines -> Fly Fishing All times are CST (GMT - 6 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use