BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
June fishing intel

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Tight Lines -> Fishing in General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarheelJohn
Link to this postPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Note June fishing intel

Great site Walker. I will be making first BVI visit this June on a crewed charter with wife and sons in preparation for bareboating on my second visit. Unfortunately we cannot make Anegada on this first trip but will be sailing the normal first timer route starting at West End and hitting the normal islands. Anyway, I fish the skinny waters of the Carolina coast for trout and redfish a good bit and my tackle box has all the normal artificials you would expect. I will bring 7 foot spinning rods with 12 to 30 lb braid and normally i use 15 to 20 lb fluorocarbon leaders. I will wade, fish from dingy or yak, or maybe off the back of the boat at anchor.

What kind of leaders do you recommend for BVI?

What other arties should I try beside swimming poagie plastics and Johnson spoons?

Do I have a chance at finding a bonefish or two, or small poons anywhere, and if so any specific technique?

What fish types do your expect I will have the easiest time getting into?

I know this is alot to ask in a single post. Thanks a million.
walker
Link to this postPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:56 am    

Sounds like you are well prepared. No special leaders - but plan on losing a few to barracuda. I generally do not use any leader at all - but I am using mono line.

June is probably too early for tarpon - October-November is the right time for them. Bonefish are here all the time - but not in the areas that you will likely be fishing. They are almost exclusively on shallow flats that really don't hold much fish other than bones.

Fish around and over patch reef - you will catch yellowtail, hind (small grouper), and blue runner (jack). You can also troll from your dinghy.
TarheelJohn
Link to this postPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:44 am    

Sounds good appreciate it.
Are any of those fish good to eat in BVI without special detoxification treatment?
walker
Link to this postPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:20 am    

We eat all that we catch here on the west end of Anegada.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Tight Lines -> Fishing in General All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use