BVIPirate Forum Index
Click for Beef Island, British Virgin Islands Forecast
Search FAQ
BVI Weather
Anchor or Mooring Ball?

Jump to:  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Live Cruising Guide -> Anegada, BVI
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GarthC
Link to this postPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Note Anchor or Mooring Ball?

We will be down in a few weeks and are chartering a Sunsail Jeanneau 42i which draws almost 7'. This is our second trip sailing in the BVI's but our first time heading up to Anegada. Will we be able to take a ball given our draft or should we anchor?

Would appreciate any advice or tips on this. Thanks!
walker
Link to this postPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:49 pm    

You should be able to take a ball in the southeasternmost part of the mooring field (mooring balls closest to the inner green buoy). If they are all taken, anchor upwind of them. You should be in about 8 to 9 feet of water. The holding is plenty good.

If you don't feel comfortable there, go anywhere south or east of the line directly between the inner green buoy and the concrete government dock. You will have plenty of water there. Do NOT anchor directly between the inner green buoy and the government dock, though, as you will be in the way of ferry traffic to the dock.

I saw the replies on TTOL. Helpful, but not entirely correct. There are a lot of mooring balls in less than seven feet of water. There are some that are in less than six feet.

You might want my Anegada Approach Chart.
GarthC
Link to this postPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:20 pm    

Thanks Walker. Much appreciated.

I trust the anchor holding is good enough (assuming enough scope, anchor check, etc) to leave the boat for the day to go for a jeep ride around the island? Do you need to lock the dinghy on Anegada, and is there a public dinghy dock or is it the hotel's dock?

Thanks again.

Garth
GarthC
Link to this postPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:23 pm    

One other thing - thank you for mentioning your chart but I think I left it too late to order one. Usually like to get prep stuff well in advance, hate last minute stuff.

Cheers,

Garth
walker
Link to this postPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:47 pm    

No worry about locking anything here.

The holding here is as good as it gets. Give it a test and forget about it. I have sat here on a single hook in 60 knots of wind for 24 hours and did not budge. The bottom is a thin layer of course sand of a thick layer of very fine sand (mud). When the anchor sets in the underlying mud, it is seriously set.

There are three popular docks for coming ashore. Nearest the anchorage are Potter's and the Anegada Reef Hotel. They will be the two docks on your far right when you get in.

Farther west is Neptune's Treasure. It is just past the small point on the left, and is the leftmost real dock.
Auspicious
Link to this postPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:04 am    

Do I remember correctly that there is a very shallow shoal between Potters/ARH and Neptunes? It is marked and clearly too shallow for boats but I recall that it can even snag the odd dinghy.
walker
Link to this postPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:14 am    

There is definitely a shoal between the ARH and Neptune's. It is NOT marked. Neptune's has some channel markers off the southern end of the shoal to mark the safe passage to their moorings.

There is also another smaller shoal just to the west of that one. Dinghies can safely pass between them, but nothing larger.

It is easy to spot the newbies coming in to Neptune's. They almost always discover one or both of the shoals as their dinghy outboard suddenly kicks up and yells BLOP BLOP BLOP! People that spot the larger shoal - which extends to shore - pay all their attention to it, safely pass to the south of it, and do not ever see the other shoal until they are grounded on it.
Auspicious
Link to this postPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:20 am    

Walker wrote:
There is definitely a shoal between the ARH and Neptune's. It is NOT marked. Neptune's has some channel markers off the southern end of the shoal to mark the safe passage to their moorings.

The Neptune's channel marks are the ones I remember. As a pretty conservative guy I usually follow those marks in a dinghy until directly off Neptune's before heading in.
DawnB
Link to this postPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:34 pm    

Walker wrote:

There is also another smaller shoal just to the west of that one. Dinghies can safely pass between them, but nothing larger.

It is easy to spot the newbies coming in to Neptune's. They almost always discover one or both of the shoals as their dinghy outboard suddenly kicks up and yells BLOP BLOP BLOP! People that spot the larger shoal - which extends to shore - pay all their attention to it, safely pass to the south of it, and do not ever see the other shoal until they are grounded on it.

Raises hand - Guilty!

First time ever I was in Anegada as the captain, we agreed to meet some TTOLers for dinner at Neptunes. It sure looked simple when the sun was up, but we ended up at the wrong dock when we went in for dinner after dark - even though I looked at the cruising guide before heading out (I think it was Whispering Pines?). They told us about the reef, so we went straight out, and took a hard right at the first cat that was on a ball, but apparently it wasn't far enough... LMAO

First time that has ever happened to me, and needless to say we were late to dinner - had to go back to the boat and change after climbing out and pulling the dinghy off! Lesson learned, and I'll always make sure I KNOW where I'm going in daylight before attempting a night visit.
HillsideView
Link to this postPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:11 pm    

Is Potters boat still serving as an artificial reef?
walker
Link to this postPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:05 pm    

HillsideView wrote:
Is Potters boat still serving as an artificial reef?

Yep. A good marker to drop a cat hook to leeward of. Too shallow for a mono.
fuplayer1
Link to this postPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:15 pm    

We were anchored this week. Our mono draws 7'. Noticed only 1/2' under the keel at the inner red buoy though and eased in. Anchored just past the green marker in 9'. Excellent holding there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BVIPirate Forum Index -> Live Cruising Guide -> Anegada, BVI All times are CDT (GMT - 5 Hours)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Terms of Use